Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 2:18:47 AM EDT
Who’s got experience with the BCM 14.5 BFH FSP & non-FSP?  Curious about the gassing.

Trying to decide if it’s worth it, or if I should just buy a DD 14.5 barrel and build around that.

I don’t have a middy 14.5, so curious people’s thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:14:55 AM EDT
[#1]
People buy the complete uppers for the barrel and shitcan the rest regularly. Tells you how hard they are to find and how highly regarded they are.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:56:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: T-TAC] [#2]
Bravo stuff is top tier.
Get their 14.5 mid and they are giving free bolt carrier group with it.
I run a  "H" buffer in mine , you can probably even do a H2.  There is very little kick.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
DD will provide superior accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Mines a bit gassy but now runs well with an H2 buffer.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I would also consider Centurion's 14.5" bbls as well. Their CHF Midweight's are perfectly gassed and the same specs as FN bbls. Pairing it with their tabbed/pinned gas block would make for a extremely durable setup.

I have a BCM 14.5 lightweight bbl and my Centurion bbl is a bit more accurate than it with some 77gr pills. Also seems better gassed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Both DD and BCM make excellent uppers.  I own both and have put a fair amount of rounds through both.  I prefer DD, as I do think the barrel is better and, in my experience, slightly more accurate.  But if you're going DD I'd just buy the upper, rather than trying to find the barrel and then build around it.  Honestly, the easy button is just buy your upper here - https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/m4a1-stripped-socom-upper-receiver-14.5in-5.56/?sku=100040692.  Add a Toolcraft or Microbest BCG (which you should be able to pick up for under $100), the charging handle of your choice and a FH or if you think you might want to add a suppressor something that would work with your preferred model.  You'll end up with a great upper for under $1,000 - even less if you can find a coupon code for Brownells, and you won't pay that much more than a BCM.

On the other hand, if you want to keep it as light as possible, just get the BCM with the enhanced light weight barrel.  Either way you should be pretty happy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
People buy the complete uppers for the barrel and shitcan the rest regularly. Tells you how hard they are to find and how highly regarded they are.
View Quote

Wait, people are actually doing this? It's not like BCM is using substandard parts everywhere but the barrel. I guess I could maybe see a case for the CHF ELW barrels if you where dead set on having a superlight, aggressively tapered, chrome lined and CHF barrel (since I don't think anyone else makes anything like that), but even then, why get rid of the rest of the URG? An MCMR rail seems like a natural fit with an ELW barrel, and again, I wouldn't expect any other part of the upper to be substandard given it's BCM. And if you're cool with a Gov profile barrel, it's not like there aren't other extremely high quality CHF options on the market as well you can more easily find as stripped barrel assemblies.

Am I missing anything here?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:28:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#8]
Originally Posted By 8Thousand:

Wait, people are actually doing this? It's not like BCM is using substandard parts everywhere but the barrel. I guess I could maybe see a case for the CHF ELW barrels if you where dead set on having a superlight, aggressively tapered, chrome lined and CHF barrel (since I don't think anyone else makes anything like that), but even then, why get rid of the rest of the URG? An MCMR rail seems like a natural fit with an ELW barrel, and again, I wouldn't expect any other part of the upper to be substandard given it's BCM. And if you're cool with a Gov profile barrel, it's not like there aren't other extremely high quality CHF options on the market as well you can more easily find as stripped barrel assemblies.

Am I missing anything here?
View Quote

If you want to use a different rail you have to. I’m a big fan of BCM rails but they’re not my first choice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I did not realize this…I thought BCM upper receivers were thought of as some of the best due to the tight fit for the barrel?!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By T-TAC:
Bravo stuff is top tier.
Get their 14.5 mid and they are giving free bolt carrier group with it.
I run a  "H" buffer in mine , you can probably even do a H2.  There is very little kick.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jasonm4:
I would also consider Centurion's 14.5" bbls as well. Their CHF Midweight's are perfectly gassed and the same specs as FN bbls. Pairing it with their tabbed/pinned gas block would make for a extremely durable setup.

I have a BCM 14.5 lightweight bbl and my Centurion bbl is a bit more accurate than it with some 77gr pills. Also seems better gassed.
View Quote

I’ll take a look at Centurion…I have DD & Colt 10.3” & 11.5” barreled uppers, along with a 13.9” & 16” BA.  Would love an FN middy, but I don’t ever see a 14.5” FN middy barrel.  If Centurion is specing the same as FN I’d be happy with that!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Pippinone:
Both DD and BCM make excellent uppers.  I own both and have put a fair amount of rounds through both.  I prefer DD, as I do think the barrel is better and, in my experience, slightly more accurate.  But if you're going DD I'd just buy the upper, rather than trying to find the barrel and then build around it.  Honestly, the easy button is just buy your upper here - https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/m4a1-stripped-socom-upper-receiver-14.5in-5.56/?sku=100040692.  Add a Toolcraft or Microbest BCG (which you should be able to pick up for under $100), the charging handle of your choice and a FH or if you think you might want to add a suppressor something that would work with your preferred model.  You'll end up with a great upper for under $1,000 - even less if you can find a coupon code for Brownells, and you won't pay that much more than a BCM.

On the other hand, if you want to keep it as light as possible, just get the BCM with the enhanced light weight barrel.  Either way you should be pretty happy.
View Quote

If the 14.5” DD upper at Brownells was a middy, I’d already have gone this route!  It pains me every time I see a sale on those.  I just can’t so the carbine…
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#13]

If you want to use a different rail you have to. I’m a big fan of BCM rails but they’re not my first choice.
View Quote

Not my first choice, either…I prefer the MI Combat Rails over the BCM.  I prefer the DD RIS II/III or Geissele MK4.  One of the reasons I’m not interested in the BCM MK2 uppers is becauee you can’t swap rails without modifications to the rail.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:

Not my first choice, either…I prefer the MI Combat Rails over the BCM.  I prefer the DD RIS II/III or Geissele MK4.  One of the reasons I’m not interested in the BCM MK2 uppers is becauee you can’t swap rails without modifications to the rail.
View Quote

Yep. It’s not that BCM doesn’t make good stuff by any means, it’s just the massive gap in hammer forged lightweight barrels makes them so much more appealing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Balance is better in the ELW varients.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Filthy 14.

Google.
View Quote

FYI Filthy 14 was actually a 16in Middy
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#18]
The only problem I'd anticipate seeing with any BCM upper is that they can be overgassed. I'd look for a restricted gas tube or gas block to solve that problem.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#19]
14.5 BCM is a solid performer

This is a spare around the house and my Geisseles get the cans

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an 11.5dd and a 16bcm. Both run fine and I wouldn't hesitate to bet my life in either one. That said, and maybe it's the profile, but I like the dd better...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Voland:
I have an 11.5dd and a 16bcm. Both run fine and I wouldn't hesitate to bet my life in either one. That said, and maybe it's the profile, but I like the dd better...
View Quote

Same just Opposite. 11.5 BCM and 16 DD.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#22]
They tend to not be the most accurate (even their ss410) and they’re over gassed. I see no benefit in choosing a bcm barrel over the options from DD, Geissele, Criterion, Centurion, etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By thedownzero:
They tend to not be the most accurate (even their ss410) and they’re over gassed. I see no benefit in choosing a bcm barrel over the options from DD, Geissele, Criterion, Centurion, etc etc.
View Quote

14.5 BCMs are not over gassed and haven’t been in quite some time, as to the accuracy Molon has a pretty good write up of the BCM barrel he received.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#24]
In my experience, DD barrels have proven to be very accurate.  BCM barrels over quite a few different samples (including factory assembled uppers) were disappointing.  I'd stick with DD or something else.  I'm a fan of the MCMR rails.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Wyominer:

14.5 BCMs are not over gassed and haven’t been in quite some time, as to the accuracy Molon has a pretty good write up of the BCM barrel he received.
View Quote

Had BCM said anything about the change to their gas port that fixed this?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Had BCM said anything about the change to their gas port that fixed this?  Just curious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wyominer:

I’m not sure seems like everyone hogged out their gas ports at one time or another. .076 is the spec for BCM, DD, Geissele and many others.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top