User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2023 10:45:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude]
I searched for this subject but didn't find anything. If this has been covered already and someone can point me to it, that would work fine. Thanks.

Do you wear gloves while shooting you ARs? If so, what kind of gloves do you wear and why, please? I've gained enough skill to fire a bit more rapidly and last week at the range, I felt some heat through the fore-end hand-guard. Not too much but enough to get me thinking about gloves.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't typically, but I have. Mechanix gloves, Oakley, and SKD PIG gloves are all popular.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I've tried a few different brands of gloves, and I find they all wear out pretty quickly. Mechanix brand seems to be the best tradeoff in terms of availability, durability, and cost.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:13:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#3]
It’s pretty hard to beat mechanix gloves for price and quality.  Tractor supply used to have some called Ridgcut that were cheap and good, don’t know if that’s still a thing though.

Gloves are high wear items. Don’t spend a lot on them.  I’ve tried them all pretty much

Also the problem with all the cool super slim handguards is they get hot as fuck pretty quick. Have 2 uppers to alternate for high round count sessions.

I really like the MCMR handguards with their cheap but effective rail covers wrapped all the way around.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Golf gloves are also worth trying.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I use them because my suppressed guns get pretty warm in short order. As mentioned above don't spend a lot of money on the name brand of the week as they all seem to wear out in short order.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been using gloves in competition for well over 10 years.

Go to Harbor Freight and Home Depot and try on a bunch by a couple different pairs you like and try them out.

Eventually you'll find a pair that works for you, then buy multiple pairs, because when they wear out, you won't be able to find the same kind.

I've tried dozens of different gloves, found some I like.  

I've had $70 gloves that didn't last as long as the $10 gloves.

One recommendation I will make, find ones where the velcro strap is on top, not on palm side, seems like you're always catching the straps on something when they are on the palm side.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#7]
If I'm shooting enough to get the forend uncomfortably hot during a practice session, I will either put the gun down and shoot something else for a bit, or I'll put a thin glove on my support hand.  I've never seen a need to put one on my strong hand, as it isn't near the heat, and no matter how thin the glove is, you are going to be giving up some dexterity, which I don't like on a hand that runs the controls.  Ymmv.

This will vary by your heat tolerance, shooting schedule, etc, but for me it is mostly a problem in the summer when the ambient air is really hot and not helping the cause.
Note that if you are outdoors, in the summer in direct sunlight, a black gun will pick up a lot of surface heat just sitting there doing nothing.  If you are going to set the gun down, put in the shade, or put a towel over it; this will help a lot with heat from the sun.

On the thick vs. thin handguards; the handguard is a block of metal.  There are other variables, but in general a thicker one will have more total thermal mass and will therefore change state slower.  Slower to heat up, slower to cool down.  Same concept as boiling or cooling down a small pot of water vs. large pot of water on the same burner.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:00:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#8]
Yes. Just being exposed to the sun for a little bit can cause second degree burns without a round fired.

I live where it can hit 110* in the summer and -20* in the winter. I try not to be out in those temperatures but I've gone shooting in the high 90’s multiple times. I just did the test below last week which resulted in some AR parts hitting almost 160* after only a half hour. Even at 15 minutes a rail will be capable of skin damage without a round fired.

Rail covers and gloves no ifs, ands, or buts.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Rail-covers-just-add-weight-and-gloves-are-for-posers-/19-782081/

I’ve had the best results with Iron Clad gloves. My pigs worr out in hours, Mechanix and Magpuls hold up decent, but my Iron Clad gloves last until they become crunchy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

I've had the best results with Iron Clad gloves. My pigs worr out in hours, Mechanix and Magpuls hold up decent, but my Iron Clad gloves last until they become crunchy.
View Quote

Which model from Iron Clad?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I use some Mechanix gloves

I hated at first, takes getting used to, but now I don't mind
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

Which model from Iron Clad?
View Quote

They just changed generations and these are the newer model. No soft trigger pad but I found myself taking my right hand glove off no matter what when I was trying to focus on accuracy. Hee hee!

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I always wear gloves when shooting AR's and AK's.

SKD Pigs are my go-to gloves these days.

https://skdtac.com/pig-fdt-delta-plus-glove/
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
SKD PIG Delta is the best you can go with and not feel too bulky.  Mechanix are in all the tactical pictures, but I find them too thick.  I bought a pair PIG Deltas and after one range trip I ordered three more pairs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Howlin_Mad:
I've been using gloves in competition for well over 10 years.

Go to Harbor Freight and Home Depot and try on a bunch by a couple different pairs you like and try them out.

Eventually you'll find a pair that works for you, then buy multiple pairs, because when they wear out, you won't be able to find the same kind.

I've tried dozens of different gloves, found some I like.  

I've had $70 gloves that didn't last as long as the $10 gloves.

One recommendation I will make, find ones where the velcro strap is on top, not on palm side, seems like you're always catching the straps on something when they are on the palm side.
View Quote

Thanks! I found three at HF I liked enough to try at the range today. From left to right: pigskin with no velcro flap, goatskin with flap on the top, synthetic with the flap on the palm. I've used pigskin gloves in the past and like them but they may be too thick and stiff for this. The goatskin are thinner and more flexible. The synthetic "skin" gloves are the thinnest; if I like them, I'll try to find something similar with the strap on the top. I'll check out other brands and test them next week.

I wear work gloves every day, so the "rejects" will get used, to be sure. They're all good enough for work.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Yes. Just being exposed to the sun for a little bit can cause second degree burns without a round fired.

I live where it can hit 110* in the summer and -20* in the winter. I try not to be out in those temperatures but I've gone shooting in the high 90’s multiple times. I just did the test below last week which resulted in some AR parts hitting almost 160* after only a half hour. Even at 15 minutes a rail will be capable of skin damage without a round fired.

Rail covers and gloves no ifs, ands, or buts.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Rail-covers-just-add-weight-and-gloves-are-for-posers-/19-782081/

I’ve had the best results with Iron Clad gloves. My pigs worr out in hours, Mechanix and Magpuls hold up decent, but my Iron Clad gloves last until they become crunchy.
View Quote

That thread is what got me to thinking.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the help, everybody. As usual, arfcom comes through.

I'll start saving my spare change to get a pair of Iron Grip and SKD to test.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I tested the glove at 25 yards, using a bench. I wanted to remove as many accuracy variables as possible. I liked the synthetics best but the goatskin weren't far behind. The pigskin gloves felt the most cumbersome. None of them seemed to affect accuracy much.

It's sighted at 1.6" low at 25 yards and I aimed at the center of the targets.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:59:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: REGULARGUY556] [#18]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
I searched for this subject but didn't find anything. If this has been covered already and someone can point me to it, that would work fine. Thanks.

Do you wear gloves while shooting you ARs? If so, what kind of gloves do you wear and why, please? I've gained enough skill to fire a bit more rapidly and last week at the range, I felt some heat through the fore-end hand-guard. Not too much but enough to get me thinking about gloves.

Thanks!
View Quote

Your original question if I'm not mistaken asked something about what the military uses.  I'm no longer in the .mil but in 1996 I was in the Marine Corps Reserve and I was issued an M16a2   with regular, plastic type, handguards.  I really never wore gloves to keep my hands cool because the rifle never got that hot even under rapid fire (except when I was in 29 Palms but it was tolerable) however, in the field I would wear aviation/armored crewman gloves aka nomex gloves.  That was for concealment more than anything else.  Today I use mechanix brand gloves and nomex gloves.  Both are good to go.  YMMV. Sorry I got post replies mixed up OP but maybe this will help? edited to add content
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I have tried the usual over the counter Mechanix and some other types that are similar and was not pleased, except for when its cooler out.

My current favorite is the Mechanix Specialty 0.5mm.  Very thin, good feel, and they don't seem to mind the heat when checking for suppressor tightness which I do from time to time out of habit.

They won't hold up to tossing rocks all day but a pair has lasted me nearly a year and I shoot handguns and rifle a lot, out in the woods where I'm grabbing brush, bracing off trees, fixing targets, collecting brass and that sort of thing.

Cleaning up afterwards is a lot easier to boot.  No carbon and lead on your hands.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Personally, slowfire off a bench is about the last way I would test a glove.  Assuming the rest of the setup is good, the glove should have no impact.

Can you still perform with them in a dynamic type drill?  Do they impact your ability to reload, work the safety, pull the trigger, etc, at speed? That is the question to me.
This can be dryfired, and verified in live fire.  I'd also want to test in a hot summer environment to see what happens when you start sweating in them a lot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
Personally, slowfire off a bench is about the last way I would test a glove.  Assuming the rest of the setup is good, the glove should have no impact.

Can you still perform with them in a dynamic type drill?  Do they impact your ability to reload, work the safety, pull the trigger, etc, at speed? That is the question to me.
This can be dryfired, and verified in live fire.  I'd also want to test in a hot summer environment to see what happens when you start sweating in them a lot.
View Quote

Thank you! Your advice is rock solid and I will find a way to incorporate it all into my testing. One step at a time. Slow-fire off a bench is the way I chose to see if glove choice affects basic accuracy. My test accomplished that single, limited objective. I haven't made my choice yet though; I still have testing to do. I didn't have time at the range to do everything I wanted and I don't yet have all the gloves I want to test. I still have a lot to do.

I've done a bunch of dry-fire with all three since I was at the range last week. The synthetics and goat skin seem to be fine but the thicker pigskin gloves are both a little bit more difficult to get inside the trigger guard and when cycling the charge handle.

The hot summer environment has been hard to come by this year. August was the coolest I remember. It might have gotten over 80 a couple-three days all month.

If you think of anything else, please feel free to post it. The last thing in the world I want to be is a deluded idiot making poor choices.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Nomex flight gloves for the last 40yrs.  Last week it was 120 in Baghdad and lots of rapid and full auto shooting.  My Mk 18 got very hot.

CD
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 for the Pigs, if you need full finger coverage these are tactile enough to perform fine work.
I also like carpenter's gloves, have a pair of Klein carpenter's gloves with the tips of my thumb, index and middle finger I use regularly for around the house jobs, and til I got the Pigs my shooting gloves were a Klein full glove for the left hand ( for hot handguards) and the Klein carpenter glove for my right hand.

Many years ago I had an old pair of insulated shooting gloves with an exposed trigger finger. They were branded Cabela's but I think they were made by Gordini. Fantastic gloves and if I had known they weren't made anymore I'd have sewn em back up. My next pair of Cabela's gloves were garbage.

Link Posted: 10/24/2023 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I 2nd the IronClad gloves. These are the ones I bought, but they were 100% black. I can't find the exact model on Amazon. As someone previously said, I think they changed/updated their newer models.

These gloves allow you to use touch screens. They leave you with a surprising amount of sensitivity with your fingers. They're tough and really good quality at a very reasonable price.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I like Iron Clad work crew or exo pro gloves.  They durable, yet light enough for dexterity.  I wear them to protect my hands from cuts, abrasions, splinters and pinch points.  I don't have to worry about splinters or scrapes when using an improvised rest or going prone on rougher ground.  Heat resistance is a plus.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 3 pairs of Wiley X Hybrid gloves that I got issued through RFI issues during pre-deployments.  They fit great, last a long time, and are made of goat skin leather.  I still have one pair that are brand new never worn, cause the other pairs have lasted so long and I've been out of the army for about 8 years now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:45:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NavalDiplomat] [#27]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
I tested the glove at 25 yards, using a bench. I wanted to remove as many accuracy variables as possible. I liked the synthetics best but the goatskin weren't far behind. The pigskin gloves felt the most cumbersome. None of them seemed to affect accuracy much.

It's sighted at 1.6" low at 25 yards and I aimed at the center of the targets.

View Quote

I am not sure if this type of testing is awesome or over kill, but i like the methodology!

I agree with the criticism though, manipulating controls other than trigger is probably another critical component to test.

I like mechanix gloves, but i am looking to try the fingerless m-pacts soon. i know i am paying extra for a few cut off fingers, but i find the at home finger cut off methods lead to extra wear on the cut off fabric and they fall apart faster as the fingers split along the seem. I have hand sewn a edge banding material along the cut off finger to try to prevent this but that was a pain in the butt and not all that comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Nomex flight gloves for the last 40yrs.  Last week it was 120 in Baghdad and lots of rapid and full auto shooting.  My Mk 18 got very hot.

CD
View Quote

Mine are rotted and look like swiss cheese. I use to use these when I shot my FAL a lot. Now just some Mechanix types.
I tend to wear gloves on my G3. I almost ripped a nail off.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By NavalDiplomat:

I am not sure if this type of testing is awesome or over kill, but i like the methodology!

I agree with the criticism though, manipulating controls other than trigger is probably another critical component to test.

I like mechanix gloves, but i am looking to try the fingerless m-pacts soon. i know i am paying extra for a few cut off fingers, but i find the at home finger cut off methods lead to extra wear on the cut off fabric and they fall apart faster as the fingers split along the seem. I have hand sewn a edge banding material along the cut off finger to try to prevent this but that was a pain in the butt and not all that comfortable.
View Quote

If it works, it's awesome. If it doesn't make a difference, it's lame over kill, LOL. Former flight test engineer here. I'm putting some old skills to use.

I wear gloves during about half my drills now. Safety, bolt release and catch, magazine release and insertion, and charge handle. Every range session. I load ten rounds at a time even though I have larger magazines (thanks to the grandfather clause of our state's stupid mag limit) but I force myself to do more manipulations per session by only loading ten to a mag.

I wore the pigskin gloves in the field for pheasant hunting a couple of days ago and they worked great. It was 37 degrees when we started; they're not the warmest but they were warm enough. I didn't have any problem with the safety or slide release on my Remington 870 Wingmaster. It's a simpler weapon, to be sure but it was nice to get some validation.

Round 2 will happen just as soon as I can find the time.

I have some old flight gloves but they have too much sentimental value and South Pacific sweat in them for me to use them shooting. I should get a pair and include them in the test. I have thousands of hours experience wearing them, LOL.

I can see how DIY mods on the fingers of a glove would require the skills of a surgeon to pull off. Salute for having a go at it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll pick up some of the others y'all recommended and try them out. Wiley X, Iron Clad, and the others.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:

View Quote

Thank you! My rate of fire is picking up as my skills increase. My 5.56 AR regularly smokes during my ready drills and I can feel the heat up front. That's 60 rounds in about 10 minutes, with five mag changes. I know, that's not exactly speedy fire but it's the fastest thing I do so far. That's based on 15 second intervals so I'm forced to stand there and hold the low ready for long periods, though it can recycle as fast as 2 seconds. I haven't had any problems with operating the safety and etc. but the drills I do are all one target, one-lane sort of drills. So far. Where I die during my ready drills is when I'm changing the mag and the ready time for the next pair of shots goes off in just a few seconds. Good reminder to use cover/concealment while reloading.

I expect to be firing outdoors next summer, hopefully on a range with multiple targets at multiple distances and angles. Hauling my old carcass around something like that ought to give them a good sweat test.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 7:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mezcalfud] [#32]
I buy the 3 pack of leather gloves that look like the Hardy in pics above. Trigger finger and thumb gets cut off.
I left out-from Costco about 17$ on sale 10x a year.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Basic Nomex flight gloves here, been using them for years.  Got several pair, as they do wear out after a few years of hard use. but they're worth it.  Great dexterity and heat protection.

Have some Hatch Combat Gloves, they're good too, but prefer the Nomex.

I fucking HATE gloves that velcro around the wrist, noise discipline issue when out in the woods, and can't yank 'em off one-handed if need be.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Being in North-East Europe I've never had the problem of overheating, but rather underheating. Fall and winter rolls around and I start to go to the mechanix gloves, and then mechanix winter gloves. And especially when handling steel plates and rebar. Both last for ages especially with any pic rails being covered up.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Whatever type you choose, I think being able to shoot with gloves is an important skill. Any SHTF environment is going to involve broken glass, splintered wood and debris etc..Having and being to shoot with gloves and avoid a hand injury, and possible infection, is a worthwhile training goal.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 3GeorgeMidnight:
Whatever type you choose, I think being able to shoot with gloves is an important skill. Any SHTF environment is going to involve broken glass, splintered wood and debris etc..Having and being to shoot with gloves and avoid a hand injury, and possible infection, is a worthwhile training goal.
View Quote

This all day.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I wear maxi flex gloves.
from work, to at home outside, to loading mags, and shooting.

great dexterity snug fit. you can like actually grab a round off the table or ground wearing them compared to mechanix style, and etc.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#38]
PIG gloves for the most part
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#39]
How do I know when a glove is wearing out?  This is of my interest. I have a pair of mechanix I’ve used for two range outings now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#40]
These are my absolute favorite, unless very cold.  They're like a second skin and I can still actually function with them on, loading, phone, other random things, etc.

https://www.oakleysi.com/en-us/product/FOS900406?variant=8056153073219
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
How do I know when a glove is wearing out?  This is of my interest. I have a pair of mechanix I’ve used for two range outings now.
View Quote

With PIG gloves you get holes in the fingers near the seams. I have not worn out the Mechanix. For any gloves it is usually dry rot, dead velcro, or finger holes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:25:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#42]
Originally Posted By Vague:
I use them because my suppressed guns get pretty warm in short order. As mentioned above don't spend a lot of money on the name brand of the week as they all seem to wear out in short order.
View Quote

Yeah, the old RIS style rails actually seem to do well in that regard.

OP I like PIG gloves.  Used to be $30 but they've goe up, IMO, too much.  I'm on the lookout for others.  

I also like some leather hybrid gloves I found at the PX....HWI.   about $70 but I've had one pair since 2012.  Kind of my go-to do-all glove.  Shooting.  Yardwork.  Housework.   Doggie chew toy.
these, but in brown
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

You're kidding, right?

You can't tell if your gloves are worn out?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Who cares?  Just send it!
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Should you wear gloves? Yes
Why? If you take classes, and you wipe you'll be glad you learned to shoot with gloves.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I've found a new favorite glove for cool / moderately cold temps:  https://eberlestock.com/collections/gloves/products/prowl-glove?variant=42884917592300

The limits on sizes surprises me but for my medium size hands the small/medium works well and they stretch a little bit, just enough to fit, and then stay there.  I can live with that.

Feel is fairly good. Nomex is great for touching hot things (suppressors, barrels, etc.).  They are much warmer than any of the Mechanix gloves I've tried, including the thick ones, yet are very thin.  

They fit and feel so good I've taken to using them daily and they hold up just fine to that and for shooting.

Something to consider.

I have one of Eberlestock back packs too and really like the layout and quality.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:07:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spambawx] [#47]
Mechanix 0.5mm high dexterity are my current favorites. Currently testing these after nutnfancy (is he still relevant?) said they're comparable to the Pig alpha's. The fit and dexterity are great so far.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:20:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#48]
Hot to slightly cold. Mechanics
Attachment Attached File

Cold weather. Outdoor research
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#50]
What I touch helps my brain know where my hands are. I never wear gloves. I work in an office and train construction workers in roofing and framing.

If I wear gloves I can’t type and I get hurt training people, I don’t know where my hands are.

I have an “ove glove” to take suppressors off but otherwise don’t own gloves.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top