Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2024 10:40:42 PM EDT
What benefits would a VCOG bring to the party compared to a Vortex RAZOR?

Does any know what the bore over height is for a VCOG?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PacNW5] [#1]
VCOG is Navy approved.

Outside of that, it's got longer battery life with its AA battery vs a CR2032 and it has an integral mount.

I'd rather have the Razor though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Mounted both forwards and backwards!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen a lot of Razors but have never seen a VCOG.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:47:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Should be 1.54” or thereabouts HOB.

It’s also measurably worse in just about any category that matters, at least as far as the 1-6x VCOG is concerned.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#6]
All VCOG are ffp
Razor gen II is sfp
Razor gen III is ffp

So depending on which Razor you are talking about, VCOG may have an advantage in ranging and hold overs at every magnification except maxed out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Mounted both forwards and backwards!
View Quote

It's the ultimate SHTF optic.  No other optic can do it, except EOTech.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:43:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#8]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

It’s also measurably worse in just about any category that matters, at least as far as the 1-6x VCOG is concerned.
View Quote

That would be the mount height, not the height over bore. With a 1.54 mount you have to add the bore height to the Pic rail and that is roughly 1.25". So for a 1.54" optics mount you have a 2.79" height over bore. With a 1.7" mount you have 2.95" and so on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Durability would be the only benefit over a Razor I’d expect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#10]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

That would be the mount height, not the height over bore. With a 1.54 mount you have to add the bore height to the Pic rail and that is roughly 1.25". So for a 1.54" optics mount you have a 2.79" height over bore. With a 1.7" mount you have 2.95" and so on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, sorry, I misspoke there.  Optical centerline should be 1.54”, or thereabouts.

End of the day, HOB is going to be equivalent to most other scopes in a standard height AR mount.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have used a VCOG for 3+ years over the issues atacr and it has better glass and a usable reticle from 1-8x with or without illumination. Gen 3 razors are not that great clarity wise and I rather use a gen 2 over it but the reticle is way better and vortex stuff is hit or miss with durability. 1.54 height but a KRAM 5.5 spacer is like 1.75 or so and is comfortable and clears a laser.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't currently own a Razor but have spent time behind the 1-6 Gen2 (I do have it's closest Trijjicon equivalent in a Credo HX 1-6). I also still own a VCOG 1-6. I don't know if it's fair to compare a Razor and a VCOG. Other than them both being 1-6 glass tubes used to direct projectiles onto a target, they're built to emphasize slightly different needs. The Razor or Credo are "better in every way" in the way a Ferrari is better than a Ford F-150 in every way if your criteria is as a sports car. Razor has wider FOV, flatter image, minimal reticle with a nuclear bright LED dot, & a thin housing bezel that does a better job of disappearing with both eyes open. It's fast, it's a race car. That's why it's so popular for run & gun shooting sports.

The VCOG is a different beast. Its glass is protected in a burly forged aluminum body. It definitely feels more like you're looking through a thicker tube because you are. The housing, integrated throw lever & integrated mount are as no fuss, no snag as possible. I really like the throw lever or more accurately named "fin". Very smart design vs the portruding big "catch me on something" screw in posts or clamp on rings. Some have complained about the weight of all this. True, it's no lightweight optic but only 2oz heavier than a bare Razor so all said and done a Razor is heavier, clunkier, and no added durability benefit. I also appreciate the VCOG use of AA battery power over a coin battery. I NEVER worry about battery life. Batteries age out before they run out. I literally swap a new battery into my VCOG and pass the used battery onto TV remotes till they're flat. As for the VCOG in use, yeah, it's no Razor but I don't use it like a Razor. I use it like a variable power Eotech. At 1x its segmented circle works the same way. At 6x it gets out of the way well enough to use the crosshairs at distance. Everyone asks why they made it FFP when it's an LPVO. I can agree that no one's probably using intermediate magnification for precision long range holds. I think of it and use it differently. I'll often run it at a 2x or 4x default outdoors like an ACOG so those FFP holds still work.

So that IMO is a VCOG and what it's good for. It's not a sports car but it has some useful features that your conventional tube in a clamp scope doesn't. It's not right for everyone but I would say it is probably an overall better thing to issue to Marines for many reasons beyond superior glass clarity.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#13]
The 1-8 vcog has a better 1 power than the 1-10 razor. The razor has a better reticle. The vcog seems more robust. Weights are comparable.  Glass is comparable. Razor is more money.

Razor is for gaming, vcog is for everything else.

If you have a different assessment, you are wrong.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:40:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#14]
Originally Posted By stevelish:
The 1-8 vcog has a better 1 power than the 1-10 razor. The razor has a better reticle. The vcog seems more robust. Weights are comparable.  Glass is comparable. Razor is more money.

Razor is for gaming, vcog is for everything else.

If you have a different assessment, you are wrong.
View Quote

So you think socom is wrong and all the warriors using lpvo over the vcog in extreme conditions because you say so..

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:55:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#15]
Deleted by moderator. Not appropriate for the tech forums. For GD yes, but not here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:07:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#16]
Net Weight savings on the VCOG
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:13:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#17]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Weight savings on the VCOG
View Quote

Provided manufacturer listed weights are accurate:

Razor vs 1-6x VCOG, it’s going to be a wash given you aren’t using a brick of a mount with the Razor.

Razor vs 1-8x VCOG and the Razor w/mount is going to be 4-5oz lighter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#18]

So you think socom is wrong and all the warriors using lpvo over the vcog in extreme conditions because you say so..

Your narcissistic tendency is noted..
View Quote

Yes. I don’t disengage my brain and blindly follow anyone.

Check your meter, or have have it replaced.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:20:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#19]
Deleted by moderator. Not appropriate for the tech forums. For GD yes, but not here.
View Quote

Lmao mkay. Typical clueless 2023  that has done jack all for their country talking out their ass about crap they know nothing about to someone that has been there and done that for most of his life..

If you knew anything about the issues of the m16 in the origins you would know it had to do with 1 the change of the propellent being used and 2 soldiers being told not to clean and maintain their firearms..

The m9 was poorly maintained and was worn out.. it was a better option for the masses over the 1911 though however I think the p226 would have been better. But that being said, in socom and on my team I had more options than just the m9 and once I left the reg army I never carried it again.

Socom T&e programs are far superior to the standard army and the people conducting them are far more knowledgeable about firearms and in most cases are actual shooters and combat vets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Yes. I don’t disengage my brain and blindly follow anyone.

Check your meter, or have have it replaced.
View Quote

Lmao. I don't blindly follow anyone. I have actual real world experience in some of the toughest environments using my weapons for the intended purposes. You people that think you are right and anyone who disagree are wrong are a complete joke. The lpvo is a great option and used a hell of a lot more in tougher environments than the vgog. The atacr and gen iii does not have a problem holding up or outperforming the vcog.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#21]

Razor vs 1-6x VCOG, it’s going to be a wash given you aren’t using a brick of a mount with the Razor.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Weight savings on the VCOG

Net Weight… that VCOG makes your wallet SUPER LIGHT.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:36:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stevelish] [#22]

Lmao. I don't blindly follow anyone. I have actual real world experience in some of the toughest environments using my weapons for the intended purposes. You people that think you are right and anyone who disagree are wrong are a complete joke. The lpvo is a great option and used a hell of a lot more in tougher environments than the vgog. The atacr and gen iii does not have a problem holding up or outperforming the vcog.
View Quote

1.  I reject your appeal to authority.
2.  The VCOG.....IS....an lpvo.
3.  Your sarcasm meter is irreparably broken.
4.  Chill the f___ out.

ETA:  When I said I don't blindly follow anyone, I was referencing myself.  I don't care what you do.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Net Weight… that VCOG makes your wallet SUPER LIGHT.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#24]

Lmao mkay. Typical clueless 2023  that has done jack all for their country talking out their ass about crap they know nothing about to someone that has been there and done that for most of his life..

If you knew anything about the issues of the m16 in the origins you would know it had to do with 1 the change of the propellent being used and 2 soldiers being told not to clean and maintain their firearms..

The m9 was poorly maintained and was worn out.. it was a better option for the masses over the 1911 though however I think the p226 would have been better. But that being said, in socom and on my team I had more options than just the m9 and once I left the reg army I never carried it again.

Socom T&e programs are far superior to the standard army and the people conducting them are far more knowledgeable about firearms and in most cases are actual shooters and combat vets.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:48:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stevelish] [#25]
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:

The M9 was never the best handgun, regardless of maintenance status.  Mistake.
I know all about why the M16 initially failed.  The point is that it was an initial failure by the military.
Maybe Socom gets it.  But, they are the vast minority.

I was correct on every point.  The military frequently makes mistakes in weapons selection and use.  

Stop with the virtue signaling about how you are such a great American.  We funded your "welfare with guns" butt and you lost every single war.  Last I looked, Iraq and Afghanistan are still a mess.  The system you served is all about fighting and zero about winning.  You accomplished nothing exempt adding to our national debt.  

Just stop.
View Quote

Low blows.  Uncalled for in tech, or anywhere else.

This is gonna kill nice thread.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#26]

1.  I reject your appeal to authority.
2.  The VCOG.....IS....an lpvo.
3.  Your sarcasm meter is irreparably broken.
4.  Chill the f___ out.

ETA:  When I said I don't blindly follow anyone, I was referencing myself.  I don't care what you do.
View Quote

My issue is people making blanket statements and thinking theirs is the only answer. If you were just bsing around and being sarcastic ok cool. If someone prefers one over the other, that's personal preference and there is plenty of room for personal preference.  Just no room for absolute when there is a lot of subjective preferences. My point was that the atacr and gen iii have every bit the performance and durability of the vcog and are currently used in some of the harshest conditions. They are viable options just as is the vcog and no absolutes..
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#27]

My issue is people making blanket statements and thinking theirs is the only answer. If you were just bsing around and being sarcastic ok cool. If someone prefers one over the other, that's personal preference and there is plenty of room for personal preference.  Just no room for absolute when there is a lot of subjective preferences. My point was that the atacr and gen iii have every bit the performance and durability of the vcog and are currently used in some of the harshest conditions. They are viable options just as is the vcog and no absolutes..
View Quote

I broke 6 atacrs in mom's basement just last week, but VCOG improved with use.  See, SOCOM don't basement like I do.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Low blows.  Uncalled for in tech, or anywhere else.

This is gonna kill nice thread.
View Quote

I new this was going to happen eventually with him.

He did the same identical thing to another veteran here under another screen name over a year or so ago, and got booted.

He just can't help himself this time either.

This thread is a good one with some good info in between the BS.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billytehbob] [#29]

I broke 6 atacrs in mom's basement just last week, but VCOG improved with use.  See, SOCOM don't basement like I do.
View Quote

For fuck’s sake, dude, give it a rest.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By billytehbob:

For fuck’s sake, dude, give it a rest.
View Quote

You need a meter too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#31]
The Venn digram of scenarios and uses where they are excellent choices is nearly a circle. Speaking only of tge 1-6 models: The .223 BDC on the VCOG is better for human-sized targets. Essentially perfect with 12.5” and 14.5” barrels using 62-70gr projectiles. Presumably it would work well with other bullets and barrels in the 223/556 range. The JM-1 in the Razor is absolutely optimized for shooting sports, but it’s a top contender for human-sized targets also.

I’m not especially enamored with the reticles on the higher powered versions of either, but I’m also not particularly attracted to LPVOs greater than 6x for a fighting or general-purpose carbine.

The battery life on my green VCOG is stellar, and well-suited to military use by conventional troops. Or for cops. I often forget to turn my LPVOs off, so it works well for me, also.

If a child soldier/E3 is ever going to touch/carry/mount it, the VCOG is peerless.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top