AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/23/2004 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#1]
There customer service is great.
I sent my mag block in to be replaced and they had
me a new one at my door within a week.
With this new mag block, I did not have to do any
filing, all my Uzi star mags fit perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2004 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagged
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone else tried one of these mag blocks?  Just wondering what the current production blocks work with for mags...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 12:49:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SBR7_11] [#5]

Originally Posted By Spooky130:
Has anyone else tried one of these mag blocks?  Just wondering what the current production blocks work with for mags...

Spooky

The block works as intended..... for use with the std "Mil-spec" mags with the folded seam down the rear.  

If you intend to use the "commercial "IMI" mags, then you need to do a little filing to the rear corners to allow the deeper comercial mags to insert.

EDIT---->  "POOR" spelling habits.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Guess I should reply - I got a mag block and 10 mags from DSA for $80 - all but one fit perfectly...  The last one was very, very tight - now I need to find some 35 rounders...

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the 40 rd SA mags from Vector.  no problems here.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:32:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanker06] [#8]
Looking to get a 9mm AR - who makes the uppers that will work with the Hy-Tech mag blocks?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Hy-tech block is designed for the colt system (feed ramps on block) so any RRA, Colt setup will work.

Oly will not work.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By SBR7_11:

If you intend to use the "commercial "IMI" mags, then you need to do a little filing to the rear corners to allow the deeper comercial mags to insert.

Do they (VM Hy-Tech) intend to add that mod to the production line?

I don't want to have to do any mods to the adapter.The seling point is that you don't have to notch the mags.  Otherwise, I may as well keep my $$$ and current mag block, and just keep notching the mags.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have six 32 round magazines that would not fit in the Hy-Tech mag block adapter.  None of them could have been inserted more than 1/2 an inch into the block.  To fix the problem, I slowly squeezed each one in a table vice.  Now, all six mags slide in and out easily.  Function of magazine is not affected in any way and visually I cannot tell that it was even done.  Of course, they still work perfectly in my Uzi too.  If you try this, remove the follower and spring.  Take your time and go slow and continually test for fit.  Don't squeeze too much - take it slow!  It's a great alternative if you don't want to file the inside of the mag block.  

Dan
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
brownells and if you own a business they give you dealer price 126.67 hows that
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By az-gunner:

Do they (VM Hy-Tech) intend to add that mod to the production line?

I don't want to have to do any mods to the adapter.The seling point is that you don't have to notch the mags.  Otherwise, I may as well keep my $$$ and current mag block, and just keep notching the mags.

Definitely interested in hearing the answer to this one.  Since Im in the process of building a 9mm AR and I plan to use this block.  I just bought a few mags and some of them are 32rdr's, I'm wondering if they'll work.
Link Posted: 12/2/2004 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By frisco:
I use the 40 rd SA mags from Vector.  no problems here.

What about the "Fabric Militar" 40rd ones made made in Argentina that Vector is selling now?  Are these the same?  Will they work?

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
has anyone had problems with the 25rd star IMI mags? The cheap mags (not IMI) that were sent with my upper are junk and I need some that work. I have had multiple FTF's which usually end up jamming a round in to feed ramp and decreasing the OAL of the round. Has anyone had this problem with this block or is it the mags. If the mag change doesn't work, should I polish teh feed ramp some?
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine only works (accepts) IMI mags with the spline. These are the Uzi 25rd mags with the star stamped on it.  I gave up on other Uzi mags - they don;t fit or are too tight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Where exactly should I file? Would like to avoid unnecessary work
Just the rear corners? All the way to the top of the block or just the lower part or what?
At the moment my mags go in maybe a bit more than in inch.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm having trouble with the last round feeding out of the mag the angle of the follower seems too steep is there a fix for this?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:26:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SBR7_11] [#19]
Some  have noted that you could attempt to bend the legs on the Uzi follower, but the follower is very hard/brittle.

You could try to weld a "dab" on the follower to change the angle on the loaded round, or some sort of hard epoxy/Browneels' Acra-Glass, then re-contour.

Myself,  mine feeds all the rounds out of all my mags - 32rd IMI commercial, 25rd IMI commercial, and 25rd mil contract mags.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#20]
If it will not feed only the last round, it will only take a very slight adjustment of the follower.  take apart the mag, flatten the angle of the follower just a little by bending the legs closer to perpenicular to the top of the follower, reassmble mag and test with snpa caps.  Once you find the proper angle it is easy to mod all your mags.  You will want to use a pair of vise grips and a pair of pliers to do it...gently and slowly are the keywords here.

My rifle would not strip the last 4 rounds off the mag, and I did not break a follower when adjusting them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:46:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762-4-U] [#21]
what about 32 rd mecgar mags?These are the blued mags with IMI stamped vertically on the bottom. will they work ok in the block? these were sold in the "UZI' packaging.
Let me know
H
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By 762-4-U:
what about 32 rd mecgar mags?These are the blued mags with IMI stamped vertically on the bottom. will they work ok in the block? these were sold in the "UZI' packaging.
Let me know
H

No.  They will not work.  The back is too wide to fit without filing the block.  I bought $150 worht of meccar ,mags to find this out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SBR7_11] [#24]

Originally Posted By davidp14:

No.  They will not work.  The back is too wide to fit without filing the block.  I bought $150 worht of meccar ,mags to find this out.

Yup, John not CAD/CAM  the opening the same as the std UZI magwell.... break out a small diameter round file, and a flat file, and simply open the block' well to same as std Uzi well...  Mag with rib is 25 rd contract mags,  the flat rears I have are  "IMI" marked  comercial mags.

See the IMI flat mag in the firearm/magblock...

Link Posted: 1/8/2007 8:13:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15barrels] [#25]
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 10:05:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GhoSSt] [#26]
So if I'm reading this thread correctly (and I did twice) the 2nd gen block will take the flatback, square corner IMI 32rdrs that CTD sells right?

Like these:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/MGR-069.jpg

GhoSSt
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I received my block today from Brownell.
I have 30 of those magazines you show in your post.
They all bind in them.
They will go in if you beat them in, but then you got to struggle to get them back out.
Tommorow I will file the back of them adaptor.
You figure that after being out in the market place for over 3 years they would of worked out all of the bugs in their adaptor.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I spoke to Voly@HYTECH.
He said that the mags are 50 thousands oversize and that is the problem.
I ended up damaging the adaptor trying to get the ejector pins back in.
They were EXTREMELY tight for some reason.
Adaptor is on the way back to hytech.
Link Posted: 6/30/2007 4:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: superhondaz50] [#29]
I just got my block in today. All of my commercial mags fit fine, they slide right in. The new raised button is easy to release and also has knurling on it. It also has a nice "claw" that holds the mag in tight and firm. You can see that the claw protrudes into the mag body. I pulled as hard as I could and the mag wouldnt come out. I also hand cycled 32 rounds all of them went in and ejected fine with no jams. Hopefully I can get this thing to the range next week to see if VM actually got the bugs worked out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2007 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got a RRA adapter...Colt type that uses the 9mm Colt mags and I've got a RRA Oly type that uses modified UZI mags....I prefer to use Uzi mags since I have more of them..I just hate to modify them so they will work properly...so after reading all this I think I am going to try and get a recently produced Hy-Tech adapter to buy or trade for...anybody have an extra one laying around please email me ...

jackpot
Link Posted: 10/14/2007 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#32]
well, I ordered one from Brownells last night...I really hope this thing is as good as I've read....if it is..I'll be adding my other two blocks to my trade list..LOL...

jackpot
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By jackpot:
well, I ordered one from Brownells last night...I really hope this thing is as good as I've read....if it is..I'll be adding my other two blocks to my trade list..LOL...

jackpot

Let us know how it works with 32rd mags when you get it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By solartj:

jackpot

Let us know how it works with 32rd mags when you get it.

you bet...I sure will...

jackpot
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#35]
well...I got my new Hy-Tech block in yesterday...Monday.....all I've been able to do sofar is try my mags in it and hand cycle...and great news is that all my mags work in it...fit perfectly....that was 54 star 25rd mags with folded over sean rib , 16 flat back 25 rders...and 15 flat back 32 rders.....not one mag was too tight...and the mag release has a raised button on it as compared to a flat mag release I saw on a pic of one....definitely very easy to push....the only question that I can see and it doesn't seen at the time to be a problem..just different....is that to release a mag from the well...the mag must be pushed in slightly towards the bolt before you can push the mag release lever and disengage the mag....but it does work everytime.

so I just need to get actual time at the range....

Russell
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#36]

well...I got my new Hy-Tech block in yesterday...Monday.....all I've been able to do sofar is try my mags in it and hand cycle...and great news is that all my mags work in it...fit perfectly....that was 54 star 25rd mags with folded over sean rib , 16 flat back 25 rders...and 15 flat back 32 rders.....not one mag was too tight...and the mag release has a raised button on it as compared to a flat mag release I saw on a pic of one....definitely very easy to push....the only question that I can see and it doesn't seen at the time to be a problem..just different....is that to release a mag from the well...the mag must be pushed in slightly towards the bolt before you can push the mag release lever and disengage the mag....but it does work everytime.

so I just need to get actual time at the range....

Russell

Glad to hear your mags fit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#37]
4 months , have you shot it yet ? getting ready to order this block and would like some recent news please
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#38]
FWIW, I got one of the adaptors from Brownells last January, and it's accepted the suplus UZI mags perfectly. My carbine runs 100% with a rifle fixed stock/rifle buffer and spring. The block fits snugly when you close the upper, and will not allow you to depress the standard AR mag catch by mistake. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
RRA flat top upper, HyTech block, rounded hammer with ramped 9mm bolt.
No trigger slap, runs like a sewing machine.
DanG
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#39]

I'm in love. I did a 25 rd mag dump and it ran without a hitch. The issue about pushing up
to release the mag catch is correct, but at least the mags don't fall out. I had so many problems with the Hahn adapter that I almost gave up. The unmodified UZI mags are the
deal of the century.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 3:51:56 AM EDT
[#40]
I got one of these from Brownells and it was full of dings like it had been in a box of parts rattling around.  Sent it back for a replacement and got a better one.  Flat back mags fit fine, mag release works great.  Only one problem, the top of the adapter interferes with the inside of the upper receiver.  If I insert the adaptor in just the lower it fits fine but the upper will not close.   If I pin the upper and lower together the adaptor will stop about .050" short of seating.   I have tried 2 lowers and 2 uppers.  I'm disappointed, I have 16 UZI mags and no use for them now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By wrhk33:

I got one of these from Brownells and it was full of dings like it had been in a box of parts rattling around.  Sent it back for a replacement and got a better one.  Flat back mags fit fine, mag release works great.  Only one problem, the top of the adapter interferes with the inside of the upper receiver.  If I insert the adaptor in just the lower it fits fine but the upper will not close.   If I pin the upper and lower together the adaptor will stop about .050" short of seating.   I have tried 2 lowers and 2 uppers.  I'm disappointed, I have 16 UZI mags and no use for them now.

What make of uppers and lowers?  Also, when did you buy the block itself?

Link Posted: 10/26/2008 6:27:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: J_M_C] [#42]
It did not take me long to figure out that with my BM lower and RRA upper, I needed to lock my bolt back before inserting the VM mag block. Once the bolt is in the rearward position, slide the block in, a "smart" rap with the heel of your hand on the base of the block locks it into place and it stays there until you hit the mag release to remove it.

My 25 rd. IMI unaltered Uzi mags, that's why I liked the VM block, run 100% in my gun. I just ordered 7/32 rd. mags, all reported to be new IMI mfg.

Mine works great!

Link Posted: 10/29/2008 8:56:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#43]
I took my SBR to the range last night (BM lower, RRA upper, Hytech block, German contract mags, Rem value-pack JHP ammo), two of my mags would have a FTF on the second-to-last round if I fired the third-to-last but load just fine if I put two in the mag and pull the charging handle.  A third mag would show the FTF-second-to-last about 50% of the time, and one mag ran 100%. All mags functioned fine when loading and firing the odd-numbered rounds, all function properly in my semiauto Uzi.

The failures all involved the rounds being nose-high, stuck with the nose against the top of the breechface (about half the bullet below, half above the rim of the chamber) and the case head against the bolt.  The inertia of the bolt seats the bullet about 2mm deeper into the case.

I forgot to test the 100% malfunctioning mags with five rounds (so that it'd load the fourth-to-last while cycling under recoil which would tell if its that side or just the last round from that side that're problematic), the most I put in them was four IIRC, but the 50% and 100% mags functioned great with five rounds. But I'll do that when I go to the gun range again on Sunday. My range requires enclosed-base ammo, thus the JHPs and WWB being out of the picture unless I drive an extra 40min to a different range.

Any ideas?

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I may be a day late and a dollar short on this one however, my recently purchsed new IMI 32 rd. mags. from two different vendors, all go into my VM mag block perfectly w/o any binding or issues.

I had a chance to test fire three of the mags yesterday. With 124 gr. and 147 gr. ball, full powered ammo they worked 100%. First time for each, 96 rounds down range w/o a problem.

I say full power because I have a lot of lower powered match type 9mm ammo that isn't always 100% in my gun but it's not the fault of the gun, mags or the block, it's the lower power of the ammo that causes FTF because the bolt does not travel far enough rear ward to pick up the next round reliably.

All in all, I'm very happy with my VM mag block choice w/my 25 and 32 rd. mags.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By J_M_C:
I say full power because I have a lot of lower powered match type 9mm ammo that isn't always 100% in my gun but it's not the fault of the gun, mags or the block, it's the lower power of the ammo that causes FTF because the bolt does not travel far enough rear ward to pick up the next round reliably.

I've read similar reports involving Rem-UMC bulk pack 9mm ammo in the yellow box.

Link Posted: 11/3/2008 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Update.
I followed the advice of another member and filed the top corners of my adaptor.
It did not take much and now I can insert my adaptor with the upper and lower closed.
I understand why some don't like it this way but for me it is what I was looking for.
I had a few of the nose high bullet pushed back into case failures.  Most likely the magazines fault.  Ammo was WWB 115gr.  Only shot around 50rds, so far I'm happy with the adaptor since I filed on it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 8:25:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#47]
It seems running my SBR dripping wet and a few more mags has allowed it to break in nicely.  I had a few early jams on Sunday at the range but then it ran perfectly after that.

I like having to shotgun the upper to remove the block, I dont want to accidentily dump a $140 piece of gear on the firing line, much less should it happen during a serious situation, due to muscle memory gained from all the .223/.22lr shooting I've done.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I received my block, and did a little review on it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=403228
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Finally got to try out the Hy-Tech!

It fed flawlessly.  

I won't lie, I was expecting to have some things go wrong.  Not necessarily with the block itself, but  with a 9mm AR in general.  All the reading I've read about little tweaks that were usually needed to get 9's to to run right.  So I was pleasantly surprised with the overall performance.  I didn't shoot for groups or anything.  I just blasted pumpkins left over from Halloween.  I'm not sure I will even bother to shoot for groups.  This is just a fun gun, and being that I was hitting a 6"-ish pumpkin consistently from 40ish yards, I'm more than satisfied.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By wrhk33:
Only one problem, the top of the adapter interferes with the inside of the upper receiver.  If I insert the adaptor in just the lower it fits fine but the upper will not close.   If I pin the upper and lower together the adaptor will stop about .050" short of seating.

I have this same problem. Could you give a little more detail as to what you did to fix it. Thanks!
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top