Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2024 1:56:52 PM EDT
Have tried scouring the interwebz all over for a clear-cut answer to this question, and I can't seem to find anything as of yet.

Does anyone know where the dimensions differ, and exactly by how much?

Just picked up a NOS unfinished ER Shaw barrel, but the guy couldn't tell me if it was an AR-10 or LR-308 extension that was torqued onto there; there is no indexing pin present, so I guess I could try to pull it off and exchange it for an LR-308 extension if in fact it doesn't have one, but I wouldn't know how or where to measure it...
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Technically it should work. But like anything else when building a rifle from parts, you need to check headspace and proper lockup.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
Technically it should work. But like anything else when building a rifle from parts, you need to check headspace and proper lockup.

View Quote

Sorry, but this isn't what a cursory interwebz search pulls up, and there are many places that simply state that there exists a difference between the extensions, hence why each pattern's bolt is required to work with said extension in order to maintain proper headspace as you alluded to.

There is definitely a dimensional difference in tolerance or depth between the two; hopefully, if the differences can be plainly stated, it would be evidence how one could convert the larger extension to be compatible/identical with the other.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If the gas port is drilled , you're not going to want to remove the barrel extension. Drop a headspace gauge and a LR308 bolt in it and see if it'll work and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully this may help.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top