Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2023 1:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HardTymeZZZ]
What is the standard for replacing the Ejector roll pin and Extractor pin?
Do you replace it every time you disassemble and reassemble the bolt or do you check for tolerance and reuse them?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#1]
I don't know what the industry or a military standard or schedule might be.
Extractor pin I probably never replace unless I notice something wrong or worn on it during cleaning. The ejector when I felt I should replace the spring which I never have not that it doesn't need to be. If I set a round count for the spring it would probably be around 10,000 rounds and the roll pin replaced at the same time.

I did buy a used bcg group once that was really old no idea on the round count It had seen. The ejector spring, when I rebuilt the bcg  with replaceable parts, was broken into two pieces.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 3:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If you ever remove a roll pin, you replace it. They are a one time use item. They lose tension and if you reuse one a couple times it will start to back out when you fire. And you shouldn't be removing it unless there's an issue with your ejector or spring.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen a roll pin retrained extractor or ejector.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bmwmc:
View Quote

I've never seen an ejector that wasn't retained by a roll pin.

The answer to when to change an ejector roll pin is every time you remove it.

The answer to when you replace the extractor pin, if it's worn. Inspect for wear, ridges, bends and definitely replace if it gets loose, though in such a circumstance check the holes for egging as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If you shoot your rifle a great deal, you really should have a Log Book to keep track of the Round Count as well as maintenance performed on your rifle and when.
The recommended time to replace the extractor is 2500 Rounds from my research to be 100% sure it is ready for heavy use. However it is not uncommon for an AR to run 10,000+ rounds without any mechanical problem. Also from my research. Replace the pins when you replace the parts would be my advice.

Bob R
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BobR1:
If you shoot your rifle a great deal, you really should have a Log Book to keep track of the Round Count as well as maintenance performed on your rifle and when.
The recommended time to replace the extractor is 2500 Rounds from my research to be 100% sure it is ready for heavy use. However it is not uncommon for an AR to run 10,000+ rounds without any mechanical problem. Also from my research. Replace the pins when you replace the parts would be my advice.

Bob R
View Quote

Oh boy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:46:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#7]
I have been building and shooting ARs for almost 2 decades and I don't believe I've ever replaced either of those parts on a bolt. I've never needed to remove the roll pin and it isn't necessary for routine maintenance and cleaning.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:50:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bmwmc] [#8]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
I've never seen an ejector that wasn't retained by a roll pin.
View Quote

Not a roll pin.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Bolt will probably fail prior to the need to replace the ejector or its spring.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Ejector roll pin, less than .20 each.

These at McMaster Carr meet the Mil spec # on the TDP drawing.

https://www.mcmaster.com/97855A120/

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:09:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickyheat] [#11]

Not a roll pin.

https://i.postimg.cc/XvmrHRnx/PXL-20231126-222047253-MP-2.jpg
View Quote

I don’t say this to be rude but are you referring to the Extractor Pin in your pic? That should not be a roll pin.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:15:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#12]
Originally Posted By HardTymeZZZ:
What is the standard for replacing the Ejector roll pin and Extractor pin?
Do you replace it every time you disassemble and reassemble the bolt or do you check for tolerance and reuse them?
View Quote

As far as I know - Never.  They will outlast your BCG.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:19:23 AM EDT
[#13]
On all bolts I will replace the ejector spring with a Sprinco and replace the roll pin with a hardened stainless steel spiral coiled pin. Spiral coiled pins can be reused, are much easier to install, and are far superior to standard C shaped pins. You can get them here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/151992511660?

As for the extractor pin, I don't see the need to replace those ever unless it develops a deformity or you lose one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:41:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#14]
Originally Posted By Infiltrator:
On all bolts I will replace the ejector spring with a Sprinco and replace the roll pin with a hardened stainless steel spiral coiled pin. Spiral coiled pins can be reused, are much easier to install, and are far superior to standard C shaped pins. You can get them here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/151992511660?

As for the extractor pin, I don't see the need to replace those ever unless it develops a deformity or you lose one.
View Quote

420 Stainless roll pins are 25% weaker than the mil spec roll pin. In addition the very small C split pins are just as easy to install as the coiled. Only cost .20 each so reusability is not in play at that cost. Using the coiled pins is a step backwards for the ejector which is constantly being stopped by the pin.

Sprinco springs rust and corrode. Another step backwards.

You are buying into SOTAR hype on those coiled pins and springs. The 3 larger pins, Bolt catch, FA and Trigger guard, no problem use the weaker and easier to install spiral coiled pins, but not the ejector pin thats being used to stop the force of the spring.

AR 15 Bolt Ejector Spring Corrosion Testing!
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:07:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgtlmj] [#15]
View Quote

Ejectors are retained by a 1/16" x 3/8" spring pin.

https://milspecfastenerscorporation.thomasnet-navigator.com/item/roll-spring-pins/spring-pin/ms-16562-98
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 1:55:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickyheat] [#16]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

420 Stainless roll pins are 25% weaker than the mil spec roll pin. In addition the very small C split pins are just as easy to install as the coiled. Only cost .20 each so reusability is not in play at that cost. Using the coiled pins is a step backwards for the ejector which is constantly being stopped by the pin.

Sprinco springs rust and corrode. Another step backwards.

You are buying into SOTAR hype on those coiled pins and springs. The 3 larger pins, Bolt catch, FA and Trigger guard, no problem use the weaker and easier to install spiral coiled pins, but not the ejector pin thats being used to stop the force of the spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_RAQ6h_Y8
View Quote

You are correct.

The 420 SS Slotted Spring Pins have the same strength as the Steel Slotted spring pins.

There are also heavy duty coiled springs available through McMaster Carr which are as strong as standard 1095 steel or 420 steel slotted spring pins.

No idea why any one would recommend normal coil pins for this application simply to be able to re use pins. They are cheap.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:14:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By OTDR:
View Quote

I stand corrected. Thanks for the information. Being in Colorado I'm not at all concerned about rust, but I suppose I'll have to keep an eye on the ejector pins for wear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Not a roll pin.

https://i.postimg.cc/XvmrHRnx/PXL-20231126-222047253-MP-2.jpg
View Quote

Not an ejector roll pin. Definitely an extractor pin.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:06:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg] [#19]
Originally Posted By BobR1:

Bob R
View Quote

This. I have a log book . I even date it. Sometimes I can’t remember when the last time I shot certain ones.  I rotate. Wardawg
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top