Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2024 7:35:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beamer85]
I have a lower in need of an upper. WOA has their 20" uppers for around $700.

Anyone have experience with these?

How do they compare with Larue UU in accuracy?

Edit:

Have stacked IMI 77gr.  It's what I normally shoot.

Thought I would let you know I did purchase the 20" WOA upper. Got it dialed in at 100yds  this past weekend with Razorcore.

Was able to get multiple 5 shot groups no greater than an inch. Too windy to go out past that.

Was very pleased.

Brother came in from Austin to spend the weekend and received a rifle I built for him. So he's in the AR world now.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a WOA upper but I do have an upper I built around a WOA 18" DMR barrel with 1-8 twist.

I like it.  Very accurate with the 77 gr IMI ammunition and with my handloads using 77 gr Nosler CC bullets.  

I would buy another.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an 18" SS WOA barrel,,it will pop quarters at 100yrds consistently with 75gr match ammo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cb4017:
I don't have a WOA upper but I do have an upper I built around a WOA 18" DMR barrel with 1-8 twist.

I like it.  Very accurate with the 77 gr IMI ammunition and with my handloads using 77 gr Nosler CC bullets.  

I would buy another.
View Quote

Checked often and frequently out of stock....

In stock today.

Just pulled the trigger..

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Good on you. Accurate as any top tier barrel and great folks to back it up. I can not recommend them highly enough. For the record, every barrel I have ordered from them has been capable of better accuracy than I can do. I am not affiliated BTW except by being a loyal customer and fan boy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
My White Oak HBAR with scope, hammers inside the xring. Might be my best barrel and I have a lot of really good ones.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Very satisfied with my 18 ss woa barrel.It outperforms me .
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 20" WOA upper on a Rock River lower that I use for service rifle.

Shooting off a bag on a bench and supporting the rear myself, mine has shot sub-1 moa, 10-shot groups at 100 yards using 69 grain Sierra Match Kings.

I replaced the barrel at around 6000 rounds as I had noticed my scores were dropping.

This picture shows two slow fire prone targets (top) and a rapid fire prone target all shot at 100 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
WOA 18" SPR shoots the IMI 77s .86 MOA average 25 round 5 groups of 5 average.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#9]
White Oak sells several grades of barrels. They will perform differently.

Their best barrels *are* the best barrels.
Their cheapest barrels are good barrels.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:

View Quote

top?

Where do the SPR barrels rank?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:03:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beamer85] [#11]
Thank you all.

It will be paired with a NF 3.5x15.

I just wanted more accuracy than I am currently experiencing.

I train with other rifles, just needed something for bench fun.

Shipped today.. In Wednesday.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:10:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MHIDPA] [#12]
Pretty small sample, but this is 4 rounds of 75gr TAP out of a WOA SPR barrel when I was zeroing it @100yds.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't think they made them with the free float sleeve, handguards and Front Sight Post/Gas Block anymore.

That's what I want
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#14]
16” spr barrel, 1-6 razor scope. You put good ammo through it you will be rewarded
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The Douglas WOA 20" Hbar barrels are accurate and hold well at 600 for a few thousand rounds.  As you go up to more expensive barrels, they aren't necessarily more accurate, but typically hold up at 600 for significantly longer.  John has said the price sort of tracks with how many rounds before you have to relegate it to a practice barrel.  Clearly I'm talking about service rifle, but the idea holds for other purposes.  If you're looking for accuracy at 200 yards, you'll get a boatload of rounds out of a barrel compared to at 600.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Tug153:

top?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

top?

That would be my question as well. I’ve always assumed they were top tier barrels.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a benchmark staple of an upper at Camp Perry - it's a very good upper, and White Oak is very good value.  If the goal is accuracy, I'd take that over a LaRue all day long.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:

That would be my question as well. I’ve always assumed they were top tier barrels.
View All Quotes

top?

Call and ask. You might even get to talk directly to John.
I wouldn’t necessarily expect an SPR barrel to be the most accurate, since it does need some hard-use barrel life and reliability.
The most accurate barrels they produce are for competition and have tight chambers and an expected life of around 4K rounds. I wouldn’t call that suitable for an SPR. I would expect their SPR to be more durable at the expense of a little accuracy.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:54:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#19]
I wouldn’t necessarily expect an SPR barrel to be the most accurate, since it does need some hard-use barrel life and reliability. The most accurate barrels they produce are for competition and have tight chambers and an expected life of around 4K rounds. I wouldn’t call that suitable for an SPR. I would expect their SPR to be more durable at the expense of a little accuracy.

View Quote

So you think that White Oak uses some secret squirrel metal for their standard SPR barrels that make them "more durable" than their match barrels?

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#20]

top?

View Quote

Their SPR barrels are turned from Wilson blanks. They are their good barrels, not their best barrels.

WOA profiles their best barrels for service rifle competition, and they are way too heavy for a tactical rifle. They will turn Krieger, Bartlein, Brux or Shilen blanks to any dimension you want if you order ten of them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
I didn't think they made them with the free float sleeve, handguards and Front Sight Post/Gas Block anymore.

That's what I want
View Quote

They will be happy to build you an iron sight service rifle if that's what you want.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
They will turn Krieger, Bartlein, Brux or Shilen blanks to any dimension you want if you order ten of them.
View Quote

White Oak Precision will do single barrels, although the price will be higher than their commodity Barrels.  I have a 28" Bartlein 0.920" bull barrel of 300modBB steel on order now - expected delivery 10 months to 2 years.  I just put on a 416R Bartlein that will hold me until then.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:49:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Molon:

So you think that White Oak uses some secret squirrel metal for their standard SPR barrels that make them "more durable" than their match barrels?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Molon:
I wouldn’t necessarily expect an SPR barrel to be the most accurate, since it does need some hard-use barrel life and reliability. The most accurate barrels they produce are for competition and have tight chambers and an expected life of around 4K rounds. I wouldn’t call that suitable for an SPR. I would expect their SPR to be more durable at the expense of a little accuracy.

I stand corrected. I just went and did my homework. I thought the mk12 had a chrome lined or CHF barrel. I didn’t realize it was a naked stainless match barrel.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ronemus:

White Oak Precision will do single barrels, although the price will be higher than their commodity Barrels.  I have a 28" Bartlein 0.920" bull barrel of 300modBB steel on order now - expected delivery 10 months to 2 years.  I just put on a 416R Bartlein that will hold me until then.
View Quote

How has this stuff been holding up?  Worth the extra coin?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

It's more about the blank then the profile. Their top tier barrels use Krieger or Bartlien blanks. So if you had them turn a Krieger or Bartlien blank to the SPR profile, you would have an SPR that was top tier (for that profile). Something like that would be atleast $500 and easily more. It is not hard to get into the $700 - $900 range for a Bartlien, depending on what you want (full custom speced lands/grooves, gain twist, fluting, profile, nitriding etc.).
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:15:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ronemus] [#26]
Originally Posted By Jnat:

How has this stuff been holding up?  Worth the extra coin?
View Quote

It's reported to last 50% longer than 416R for a blank that costs ~30% more.  The gunsmithing for either is the same (no hidden costs) so it's worth it for those who shoot a lot such as match competitors.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine shoots amazing but it’s almost time to replace it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By a390st:
The Douglas WOA 20" Hbar barrels are accurate and hold well at 600 for a few thousand rounds.  As you go up to more expensive barrels, they aren't necessarily more accurate, but typically hold up at 600 for significantly longer.  John has said the price sort of tracks with how many rounds before you have to relegate it to a practice barrel.  Clearly I'm talking about service rifle, but the idea holds for other purposes.  If you're looking for accuracy at 200 yards, you'll get a boatload of rounds out of a barrel compared to at 600.
View Quote

I have a Douglas on an Eagle Arms A2 that I bought in the very early 90s. It's a great barrel. Some consider them a middle of the road barrel, but my opinion is they are underestimated. I have shot more expensive and it didn't seem to make a humongous difference.

Even the most expensive barrel on the market is useless, if one doesn't do their part shooting it. It's not going to correct ones mistakes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Buying barrels is the luck of the draw. I have several WOA barrels that outshoot my CLE Krieger 1:7.7 service rifle upper. The truth is we are blessed with a lot of quality barrels nowadays. Just as long as you don't buy the bargain basement variety, you will probably be impressed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Word to the wise, if you want an FF Rail to go over the gas block, do not buy a .875 gas block barrel. I made that mistake. The only hand guard I found that would go over the .875 gas block without hitting it was a Midwest Ind. suppressor handguard. Nothing against WOA, this would be true for any brand of barrel. WOA offers many .875 gas block barrels.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:44:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smoothy8500] [#31]
Both these are WOA Wilson barrels, and shoot very well at 600yds. I usually get at least 4K rounds on the Service Rifle before I replace it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a white oak upper, 18” setup. With hooded sites I can make 69 grain touch. It’s an incredible setup. Had a few old timers shoot it at the range and they couldn’t believe it. One guy actually asked me what it would take to buy it off of me.

Not for sale, my dad gave it to me as a gift after I got back from OIF in 05.

As for comparisons, I can’t say. This is my NM high power setup (service rifle) nothing to compare it to. The 20lbs of lead in the rifle makes it a bit of a chore to shoot however.

I’d say you can’t find a more accurate upper and buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:34:04 AM EDT
[#33]
When I had a problem with my 18" WOA SPR barrel they told me they typically run from 3/4" to 7/8". I was getting 1.5" groups. And had severe gas port erosion at under 50 rounds. I got my $ back from them as they rubbed me wrong talking to them. They were extremely pissed off that I was questioning them about the soft steel being used and the erosion the port had. It was tearing patches as you pushed a patch past the gas port.

I sent in my whole upper and they test fired it. But would not tell me what it shot. I have a $35 warsport that shoots better than that barrel did. Maybe you guys got good ones but I have seen several of friends in my area that have their barrels and they will not shoot very well either.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I just installed a new SPR barrel from WOA. I am taking it out today to sight it in. I will let you guys know what groups I get.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I just installed a new SPR barrel from WOA. I am taking it out today to sight it in. I will let you guys know what groups I get.
View Quote

Ammo quality is the number one contributor to small groups. M855's is probably the worst ammo on the market for group shooting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By tommee-boy-72:
When I had a problem with my 18" WOA SPR barrel they told me they typically run from 3/4" to 7/8". I was getting 1.5" groups. And had severe gas port erosion at under 50 rounds. I got my $ back from them as they rubbed me wrong talking to them. They were extremely pissed off that I was questioning them about the soft steel being used and the erosion the port had. It was tearing patches as you pushed a patch past the gas port.

I sent in my whole upper and they test fired it. But would not tell me what it shot. I have a $35 warsport that shoots better than that barrel did. Maybe you guys got good ones but I have seen several of friends in my area that have their barrels and they will not shoot very well either.
View Quote

What ammo?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Ammo quality is the number one contributor to small groups. M855's is probably the worst ammo on the market for group shooting.
View Quote

Yep. I don't even own m855. Shooting all 77 grain stuff today.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#38]
At the range now. Shooting AAC 77 grain out of the new WOA SPR with 1-8 twist. So far, not real impressed. I am hoping as I get more rounds through it, the barrel will break in. Shot for groups at 200 with the 18" WOA, 14.5" JP, and 14.5" Criterion. The JP and the Criterion both shot under 1 MOA. The Criterion shot the best at .744. With the WOA, I can't get it under 1.5. The velocity seems a little slow too. The 14.5s are shooting around 2625. The 18 is shooting 2710.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#39]
2710 fps is FAST from a 18" barrel. Your AAC ammo is hot, basically a maximum 5.56mm NATO pressure load. I get my best accuracy with 77 grain bullets between 2600 and 2650 fps from a 20" barrel. 69 grain bullets fly best for me around 2750 fps from a 20" barrel.

You can subtract 50 fps from my 20" velocities should I fire my competition ammo through an 18" barrel.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Interesting. My friend's 18" Lothar Walther barrel is shooting the AAC 77 OTM at 2750. He is getting easily half MOA.

I will probably head back to the range and get some more groups next Wednesday.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I am hoping as I get more rounds through it, the barrel will break in.
View Quote

Unfortunately, I don't think it will "break-in" as you hope. They either shoot well, or they don't. If WOA says it's fine, in reality it's not worth trying to make it work. Cut your losses and return/ or sell it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By smoothy8500:

Unfortunately, I don't think it will "break-in" as you hope. They either shoot well, or they don't. If WOA says it's fine, in reality it's not worth trying to make it work. Cut your losses and return/ or sell it.
View Quote

Well darn. I will still try another range trip with some different types of ammo. I would be disappointed, but maybe it just doesn't like 77 grain ammo. WOA came so highly rated on both here and snipershide.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#43]
>Long time barreler, upper builder, and shooter with many medals to his credit

>New "just az gud" ammo company

Regarding break-in, did you give it at least an abbreviated "proper" break-in? If not, how many rounds so far?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
>Long time barreler, upper builder, and shooter with many medals to his credit

>New "just az gud" ammo company

Regarding break-in, did you give it at least an abbreviated "proper" break-in? If not, how many rounds so far?
View Quote

I see your point. That ammo has been sub MOA in two of my rifles and one of my friends though (which is every gun we have tried it in).

I shot about 50 rounds through it and then went home and cleaned it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I will say I was disappointed in my spr barrel from them till I hit 150 rounds.  It could be load development or maybe break in.  But it went from ¾-1” to .3-.5” groups.  I must have over 4k rounds on it now and still shoots around .5”-¾”.  However accuracy is dropping fast but that’s to be expected.  I got my moneys worth and will buy another.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By bigtex84:
I will say I was disappointed in my spr barrel from them till I hit 150 rounds.  It could be load development or maybe break in.  But it went from ¾-1” to .3-.5” groups.  I must have over 4k rounds on it now and still shoots around .5”-¾”.  However accuracy is dropping fast but that’s to be expected.  I got my moneys worth and will buy another.
View Quote

Good to know. I will give it another range trip and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:02:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#47]

I see your point. That ammo has been sub MOA in two of my rifles and one of my friends though (which is every gun we have tried it in).

I shot about 50 rounds through it and then went home and cleaned it.
View Quote
If you used a non-brass jag or loop, did the patches come out very blue-green?

If it will shoot better, it should do it by 200 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#48]

What ammo?
View Quote

My reloads. And the exact reload they used to test their barrels. The load data used to be on their website but is not anymore. Plus I had some factory FGMM 69gr.  

I used the varget, rl15, and h4895 loads.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#49]
My 18" 3 gun midweight barrel has been excellent with everything from 55 gr, 68/69 and 75. Can't remember what twist rate I went with and it is not marked on the outside of the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#50]
WOA is a great, high quality, accurate barrel.  CHOOT IT!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top