User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJREA:

LOL, you must like em thin....  Or who knows how that thing is shaped.  I know my RRA ones are definitely not the same width as my Colt.
View Quote
I know Colt uses Zytel polymer.

I don't know if anyone else does though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the First Samco/IDI/FAB/Mako finger groove grip.  The name has changed a few times, but grip remains the same.  It fits me like they molded it for my hand.  The Magpul MOE grip is a close second for fit and traction.  The only A2 grip I kept is on my M16A2 clone.  The rest got sold for junk.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:10:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EVR] [#3]
LOL, you must like em thin....  Or who knows how that thing is shaped.  I know my RRA ones are definitely not the same width as my Colt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EVR:

I've never cared about grips much, and had no particular angst about the A2, but I tried the cheapo Tapco SAW grip and promptly got rid of most of my others.  I like that thing.
Actually, I think the Tapco job is fatter and bigger than most AR grips which is the biggest complaint I read from others who have tried them.  They say it is too big.

I originally wanted to try an FNFAL-type grip on an AR but there were none out there.

So I got this thing thinking it might be close.  As it turns out, it isn't really, but has become my favorite grip for field shooting which is what I do all year long.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Well if it is fatter, maybe the people that like Colts would like the TAPCO.  Which type are you comparing it to?  Because if you're comparing it to some other no name, maybe the TAPCO's have a closer dimension to the Colts...........

Do you have a Colt grip?  To set next to the TAPCO to see?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Well if it is fatter, maybe the people that like Colts would like the TAPCO.  Which type are you comparing it to?  Because if you're comparing it to some other no name, maybe the TAPCO's have a closer dimension to the Colts...........

Do you have a Colt grip?  To set next to the TAPCO to see?  
View Quote
I do not have a Colt.  Here's the TAPCO SAW.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1116417866/tapco-saw-style-pistol-grip-ar-15-composite
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#6]
While optics were not really in the picture at the time, I laugh every time you see someone, usually a Marine with an ACOG and that f'ing A2 stock over the shoulder. Yeah, how's that longer stock now? Never cared for it when it cam out. The grip, who cares, while there's better, either A1 or 2 has never bothered me. Nub bother you?-grow some man hands and your middle finger will be below it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
*ring finger
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
While optics were not really in the picture at the time, I laugh every time you see someone, usually a Marine with an ACOG and that f'ing A2 stock over the shoulder. Yeah, how's that longer stock now? Never cared for it when it cam out. The grip, who cares, while there's better, either A1 or 2 has never bothered me. Nub bother you?-grow some man hands and your middle finger will be below it.
View Quote
The A2 stock fits me very well, but I find that I do that sometimes myself, (usually when I'm shooting at distance).
I do it more to elevate the sight picture up to my eye level, so I don't bend my head quite so low.
I have a feeling that's why they do it, especially if using the optics for observation or surveillance, where they will be in that position for extended periods.
It beats the hell out of creening your neck into a firing position and holding that for twenty minutes or so. .
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gator57:

The A2 stock fits me very well, but I find that I do that sometimes myself, (usually when I'm shooting at distance).
I do it more to elevate the sight picture up to my eye level, so I don't bend my head quite so low.
I have a feeling that's why they do it, especially if using the optics for observation or surveillance, where they will be in that position for extended periods.
It beats the hell out of creening your neck into a firing position and holding that for twenty minutes or so. .
View Quote
We do it because the eye relief of the Acog is stupid short, something like 1.5in. 
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#10]
As promised, the only thing better than one A2 grip, is two.

20171013_081213 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

No nub, sorry.
20171013_081301(1) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20171013_081251 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
NICE.  How much did that Troy rear run you?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]
NICE.  How much did that Troy rear run you?
View Quote
Not much. Around $50.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 3:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rick_A] [#13]
20171013_081213 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Got a new front sight and stock. Replaced the old pic.

Dual A2 grips=total win

It's hard to believe they're the same grip. It looks so different with some minor mods as a VFG.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#16]
@Coldblue

Any chance you could reupload the picture of the award/trophy  your coworkers made for you after designing/building the   A2's pistol grip notch?  From when "you built the first two (using Bondo) in my shop at Picatin"  ?

The original image that photobucket nuked direct linking was posted on   11/11/2013 10:37:42 AM EDT page 1 https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Why-did-the-military-go-from-the-A1-pistol-grip-to-the-A2-pistol-grip-/118-626884/   of this thread.

That piece of history and your explanation on  this thread & eternal question of "why the grip was changed" should not be lost. I saw this thread's title and didn't realize it was a bump, and went hunting for your old post to answer it with a link to the(this) original. To sadly see a cool piece of history and M16/AR design team's history and comradery was gone.  Thank you for your explanations and stories in this and many other threads.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#17]

The best versions on the right
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I wish Colt and other folks made the Canadian contract "Court/Short" Stock.

An A1 length built to A2 specs.

Live mine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been using an A1 on my A2 because it feels better.  But last week I swapped it back out.  For giggles.  Man the extra 5/8" feels like 7".  Blaaaaaaaaa.  It just unhits that sweetspot.  Part of my issue with the A1 on there is it's the wrong material and looks wrong with the A2.  I guess maybe I am sort of a cloner at heart.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 2:56:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#23]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

https://i.imgur.com/SIWcjxr.jpg

Love mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Love mine.
This

I wish either Colt or someone else would produce these. How hard could it be?

I've been using an A1 on my A2 because it feels better.  But last week I swapped it back out.  For giggles.  Man the extra 5/8" feels like 7".  Blaaaaaaaaa.  It just unhits that sweetspot.  Part of my issue with the A1 on there is it's the wrong material and looks wrong with the A2.  I guess maybe I am sort of a cloner at heart.  
I use A1s on my A2s & A4s but w/ A2 buttplates.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Lerch641:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Black_Hawk_169/20180329_211900_zps8smzwjma.jpg

The best versions on the right
View Quote
The lonestar grips are some of the most uncomfortable to me but i got some because clone I've tried just about every grip and i always come back to a Colt A2.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:41:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EVR] [#26]
At this point ,I just want somebody to make a duplicate FAL grip for the AR.

On a whim, I replaced my A2 grips with cheap Tapco SAW grips...and found them to be my favorites.  I'd like to try a twin of this:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/fal-pistol-grip-black-plastic.html
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:

This

I wish either Colt or someone else would produce these. How hard could it be?

I use A1s on my A2s & A4s but w/ A2 buttplates.
View Quote
You're missing the point.  You can tell the difference between the material of the stock between a genuine A1 and an A2........

I also use A2 buttplates on my A1.  It sticks to the shoulder better.

A2 material:

A1 Material:

It's got that more....  fiberglass look to it.  I know I know... who cares.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
"...I use A1s on my A2s & A4s but w/ A2 buttplates..."
All part of the original plan...
View Quote
Your recommendations were to have the A1 length with the trap door?

So the longer length concept was someone else in the project?
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 3:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#29]
Originally Posted By MikeE23666:

Your recommendations were to have the A1 length with the trap door?

So the longer length concept was someone else in the project?
View Quote
"Probably them damn Marines making a target rifle instead of a battle rifle."

Edit: enhanced sarcasm.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Read the damn thread.  He covered this,  and not the Marines'  fault for once.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

"Probably them damn Marines making a target rifle with a lousy trigger pull instead of a battle rifle."

Edit: enhanced sarcasm.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 1:56:56 AM EDT
[#32]

You're missing the point.  You can tell the difference between the material of the stock between a genuine A1 and an A2........

I also use A2 buttplates on my A1.  It sticks to the shoulder better.

A2 material:
https://i.imgur.com/M6Rrt4A.jpg

A1 Material:
https://i.imgur.com/XAzRgt4.jpg

It's got that more....  fiberglass look to it.  I know I know... who cares.  
View Quote
What point?

I’m aware of the differences between A1 & A2 stocks.

Trust me, I’d much prefer to use an A1-length stock made of A2 material. I just couldn’t justify keeping the (3) CS stocks I had. And an A1 looks close enough to an oiled-up A2 for me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iac1] [#34]
@ ColdBlue,
Excellent reply to 'I just hold over' re, why M16s now have adjustable sights.
Plus my 2 cents. 1- US Military rifles have had adjustable sights since at least the Civil War. But we should go back wards with ARs ??
2- Many Italian M1891 Carcano rifle/carbines were made with fixed sights too, as the Soldier would just 'hold over'.
Realizing their error, the Army returned to adjustable sights with the last model !
                                                 Semper Fi 84-88,  IAC.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By coldblue:

The Colt test rifle (designated as M16A1E1 for this project) had a 1:7 twist barrel, adjustable rear sight (i.e., the very early version with the range reading peep hole at the rear of the carrying handle)...
View Quote
@Coldblue I want to hear more about this!  A range finding apature?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread lives on...
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Live mine.
View Quote
You, me, and hundreds of others would love to see this!

Surplus A1 stocks are harder to find, and weaker than the A2 (which is 8 times stronger)!  Considering that the receiver extension / stock of the AR is its achillies heel, I view strength here has important.  Currently, I use Cav Arms A1 stocks.  Not quite as sturdy or solid as A2s but still stronger (and lighter) than fiberglass A1s since the Cav's are made with a modern polymer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Col Lutz,
Another question re, the A2's 1/7 barrel twist.
You state the twist was chosen due to a collegue thinking towards the future; rather than just go with 1/8.
Are you then saying that the 1/7 wasn't chosen due to the often used reason that it was needed to stabalize the longer M856 Tracer round ?

Thanks & Semper Fi,  IAC.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh well, still a mystery !
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#41]
@coldblue

See the above two posts.

Thanks, sir!
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:38:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#42]
Berger's twist calculator shows 1:7 twist spinning 1.1"-long 0.224" bullets with an SG of ~1.3.

1.0 is absolute minimum, 1.5 is preferred for full B.C. So I'd say 1:7 was needed for M856.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Berger's twist calculator shows 1:7 twist spinning 1.1"-long 0.224" bullets with an SG of ~1.3.

1.0 is absolute minimum, 1.5 is preferred for full B.C. So I'd say 1:7 was needed for M856.
View Quote
Berger's twist calculator also shows 55gr M193 at 3200 fps in a 1-12 twist barrel with an SG of 1.3 . . .
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By coldblue:  And the ammo guys saw reducing the tracer load-outs in Landing Force ammo stored aboard amphibious ships as a way to reinstate the rifle pack-out of ball ammo (1680 per case) that was being displaced by just 800 rounds of M249 SAW ammo in the exact same size wire bound wooden crate. This 1680 vs 800 rounds (in the same cube) was also the reason a large element of our Logistic Command wanted the M16A2 to be semi-auto only—and they had significant program direction leverage as they were funding my Improved Service Rifle program.
View Quote
Do you think the 1680/800 round count/box impacted the recent decision by the Marines to withdraw the M249 from the squad and replace it w/ the HK?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Its funny how we discuss the A1 vs A2 grip..
And the Beretta ARX160 did exactly the same thing.. the bump was added on the A2 version based on users experience
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Do you think the 1680/800 round count/box impacted the recent decision by the Marines to withdraw the M249 from the squad and replace it w/ the HK?
View Quote
I don't know what ColdBlue will say, but it looks like the weight and complexity of the 249 compared to the AR-based HK gun had a large impact on the decision.  The only parts similarity between the M16-family weapons and the 249 is that the 249 (theoretically) can use M16 magazines...  The HK 416-based M27 has a huge parts commonality with the M16 family.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

I don't know what ColdBlue will say, but it looks like the weight and complexity of the 249 compared to the AR-based HK gun had a large impact on the decision.  The only parts similarity between the M16-family weapons and the 249 is that the 249 (theoretically) can use M16 magazines...  The HK 416-based M27 has a huge parts commonality with the M16 family.
View Quote
There is, probably more importantly, training commonality.

The HK handles the same way an M16/M4 does, so a guy fresh out of RT doesn't have to think hard about loading, stoppages, etc....
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
My 2 favorite lowers have  A1 stocks.  But, that's all we had when I went through Basic Training and my 1st 3 year enlistment.  I never pass up a chance to buy an A1 grip either.  It feels like "I'm home" when I shoulder up my A1 stock with my A1 grip.   I don't really consider the A2 stock an "improvement" just a change.

kwg
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top