Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2024 7:09:14 AM EDT
I decided to do an experiment. I put a 308 carbine spring into my AR15 carbine length tube didn't change the standard buffer weight and put on a comped muzzle brake. Took it to range ran just fine nearly zero felt recoil from the 50 rounds of 55gr 5.56. I was running i was impressed(felt more concussion from the comped muzzle brake then recoil.). I put it away after those 50 rnds to clear the table for the 9mm PCC i own. Shot that for a bit. Then at the end of my session got my AR backout to finish off 10 rounds i had, it started short stroking and denting the cartridges. My guess is that while it chambered and fired fine initially. The junk build up from the ammo PMC XTAC 556 gave it enough resistance that it would only fire two rounds and failed to feed on the third it happened consistently. As a footnote i will add this is my first AR and i don't have much mechanical experience of the limits of these platforms nor do i have an adjustable gas block to put more pressure in the system. I will be changing my buffer spring and weight to a Red AR15 SprinCo Spring and H2 buffer weight. After i swap back to original config to ensure function minus the muzzle change.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:36:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#1]
I see from this statement, "nor do i have an adjustable gas block to put more pressure in the system. " that you do not have a complete understanding of the AR gas system and how it works.  You cannot increase gas flow with an adjustable gas block, no how, no way.  In other words, you cannot get ten pounds of poop out of a 5 pound bag.

Your gas port in the barrel regulates the amount of gas you get into your system.  If you have a .070 gas port, putting on an adjustable gas block, even if the hole was .125 inch, you still would not get any more gas through the system.  Gas blocks can ONLY restrict gas flow, they cannot increase it.  This seems to be  HUGE misunderstanding about how adjustable gas blocks work that creeps up every week it seems, sometimes daily.  The only way for you to get more gas into the system is to increase the gas port size in the barrel by drilling it out.  If you drill it out to .125 inches, about the same size as your gas tube's I.D., you then can use an adjustable gas block to decrease the amount of gas flowing through the system if you are over gassed, but there has not been an adjustable gas block yet made that can increase the amount of gas through the system without first enlarging the gas port in the barrel.

First question, why on earth did you put an AR-10 buffer spring in the AR-15?  They are not the same.  IMO the first thing you need to do is switch back to an AR-15 buffer spring.  Right parts for the job.  Again, IMO, don't do anything else until you put the correct buffer spring in your rifle.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top