AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:20:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bpm990d:

What was wrong was getting two BCGs and using one for whatever and the other for just shoot 600 yard matches.
View Quote

You run the minor risk of the headspace going off. A very slight chance that increases as you use it more. It's hard to tell exactly when that might be but as I mentioned before I did have a low count barrel that closed on a no-go after a few rounds. It may still be safe to fire for a while, I don't know.

Other than that, you can swap willy nilly as you want but the only issue is that you're wearing the bolt slightly differently. Just by how much is not a known factor and may never be an issue in the long run but it makes no sense to not keep running the "better" of the two as you'll probably run a even greater chance of it wearing out sooner by swapping it out continuously because as you shoot, the bolts are mating to the upper, so to speak and two bolts wearing might, ever so slightly, wear differently.

The thing about ARs though is that they're quite easy to mix-match but I think in doing so you're adding a cumulative breakage that might not be scientifically provable and may never be proven with any repeatable result since there are so many tolerances and just how much and what ratio might play into it. Regardless what is known is that mating a bolt and barrel is better and safer since you're dealing with a known factor but when you swap bolts and wear in two bolts, there's no way to know what, if any, effects it has.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By bpm990d:

What was wrong was getting two BCGs and using one for whatever and the other for just shoot 600 yard matches.
View Quote

Build a basic carbine for whatever and second for precision.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By paduce:

Not who I'm shooting with, don't care.

WHY I'm shooting.

Shooting 600 yards for points.
View Quote

Your ammunition selection is what's important at the 600 yard line. Try 80 grain SMK's seated @ 2.470" in a .223 Wylde chamber, or seat them @ 2.550" in a5.56mm NATO chamber. Load them one at a time, as required by the rules.

22.5 to 23.0 grains of H4895 or IMR-8208-XBR

23.5 to 24.0 grains of Varget, RE-15 or VihtaVuori N140.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top