Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2024 8:00:19 PM EDT
Hello, I have owned a couple of nice AR-15s in the past but had to sell them due to health issues. Now, I’m looking to build another AR-15 and have been considering PSA Armory. I love what they’re trying to do. My question is about their Freedom line of AR-15s, which I know is their lower-end line.

If I build one of these rifles to start shooting and training again, can I later upgrade the bolt carrier and barrel for better accuracy and durability? I understand these two parts are crucial for the rifle’s performance. However, I’m concerned about whether using a lower-end bolt carrier would affect the upper receiver and cause excessive wear to the upper. I've noticed that budget builds often have issues with the bolt carrier, leading to malfunctions.

I’m also considering an FSP on the rifle to help with the gassing, as I’ve heard budget low-profile gas blocks can have problems. While I know many people suggest saving up for a better rifle, my main goal right now is to get a rifle, train with it, and then upgrade when funds are available. What do you all think?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:13:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#1]
AR-15's are like Lego.   Snap together whatever you want.    Chances are greater than 99.2% that a budget bolt carrier group will be within specifications, and not cause excessive wear.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:14:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HimIOwe] [#2]
Garand Thumb did a pretty extensive torture test of the Freedom Line. It's not your top shelf fit/finish, but it will get the job done.

You absolutely can buy the rifle, use it, and eventually replace the BCG/barrel. However, I think you've a little misunderstanding as to low quality components: if a BCG is in spec, regardless of price, it should not wear on the upper receiver itself any differently than a more expensive BCG. Most of the issues with lower end components, specifically bolt carrier groups, are related the BCG's efficiency. Poor QC, loose tolerances, heat treating outside of appropriate ranges, loose gas key screws, uneven coatings, etc. all contribute to this. SOTAR has some phenomenal resources on YouTube if you want to learn more.

Same thing can be said for the FSP vs LPGB. A properly installed LPGB (that is itself in spec) will be just as reliable as a properly installed FSP. You decide if you want the FSP, and don't make the decision concerned with reliability.

ETA: props to you for wanting to train with your gear. A lot of new-to-AR guys get it backwards, 2k worth of rifle with a buck fifty worth of training.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:22:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#3]
Yes, you can snap any other upper on the lower once you purchase the rifle. You are not limited to that configuration and can simply buy a new upper, or simply take the barrel off and put on a new barrel if you want to. It really depends on your level of knowledge in terms of assembling the parts you want as taking the barrel off and putting a new one in the upper you have requires some tools. However if you buy the complete upper and attach it later on that will be your best route and keep the psa one as a spare.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
What’s your budget? That will make a difference in the suggestions too. $500 or so will get you decent rifles from PSA and Andro Corp, among others. Gassing has to do with the gas port in the barrel, and the gas system length, not the gas block (assuming it’s installed correctly and not broken—that’s not usually an issue.)
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Barrels are plug and play easy with the correct tools.

A $15 low profile gas block can work just fine. The options are limitless.

Check out these forums as you dive in:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR-Basics/128/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Build-It-Yourself/4/
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hicklifeoutdoors:
Hello, I have owned a couple of nice AR-15s in the past but had to sell them due to health issues. Now, I’m looking to build another AR-15 and have been considering PSA Armory. I love what they’re trying to do. My question is about their Freedom line of AR-15s, which I know is their lower-end line.

If I build one of these rifles to start shooting and training again, can I later upgrade the bolt carrier and barrel for better accuracy and durability? I understand these two parts are crucial for the rifle’s performance. However, I’m concerned about whether using a lower-end bolt carrier would affect the upper receiver and cause excessive wear to the upper. I've noticed that budget builds often have issues with the bolt carrier, leading to malfunctions.

I’m also considering an FSP on the rifle to help with the gassing, as I’ve heard budget low-profile gas blocks can have problems. While I know many people suggest saving up for a better rifle, my main goal right now is to get a rifle, train with it, and then upgrade when funds are available. What do you all think?
View Quote

I've never been a big fan of PSA stuff.  Still, in my experience based on way too many people at the range asking me for help due to problems with their new PSA rifle, I've found that they either run out of the box or they don’t. If it runs, odds are that you'll have many thousands of rounds of shooting without any problems. Honestly, most of the problems I've seen were gas block related that were no big deal to correct. I've also seen barrels that were literally sliding back and forth in the receiver because the barrel nut wasn't tightened down. Honestly, I've only seen three cases where there was a parts problem and not just an assembly/qc problem.

Yes, putting together an AR is pretty easy, but I think that calling them Legos is an over simplification. I've seen many that have the Legos point of view right up until their 3rd or 4th build won't run right and they have no clue why. You can comb the threads here and try to count the number of times guys wanted to put an adjustable gas block on their rifle to correct an under gassing problem.

Regardless, if you're tight on money, PSA is likely your best option. If you want pretty darned good for the money, Bravo Company cranks out some good stuff that's meant to be shot a lot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TonyAngel:

I've never been a big fan of PSA stuff.  Still, in my experience based on way too many people at the range asking me for help due to problems with their new PSA rifle, I've found that they either run out of the box or they don’t. If it runs, odds are that you'll have many thousands of rounds of shooting without any problems. Honestly, most of the problems I've seen were gas block related that were no big deal to correct. I've also seen barrels that were literally sliding back and forth in the receiver because the barrel nut wasn't tightened down. Honestly, I've only seen three cases where there was a parts problem and not just an assembly/qc problem.

Yes, putting together an AR is pretty easy, but I think that calling them Legos is an over simplification. I've seen many that have the Legos point of view right up until their 3rd or 4th build won't run right and they have no clue why. You can comb the threads here and try to count the number of times guys wanted to put an adjustable gas block on their rifle to correct an under gassing problem.

Regardless, if you're tight on money, PSA is likely your best option. If you want pretty darned good for the money, Bravo Company cranks out some good stuff that's meant to be shot a lot.
View Quote

It's not just PSA but a lot of cheaper end ones have gas blocks that are either not fully on or just falls off after a few rounds. I bought a cheap upper at 10.5 to see how I would like it before committing to the higher priced uppers and found the gas block could be moved just after 1 magazine. The screws were not even tight and I could undo it with my finger. Once I tightened it all up with a small dimple on the barrel, it worked like a champ.

So yeah I think if you do buy a cheaper end one with a low profile gas block you should check if it is on tight or not. Just give it a wiggle and if it moves, it's not going to work for long. It's one of the first things I check on an upper is if the gas block is on and I usually like it pinned from the factory which gives me some assurance that it's on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:37:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#8]
I believed the reason why the O.P..was asking about FSB gas block as they are PINNED into place vs. held with a screw(s) in many low profile gas blocks.  Pinned gas blocks do not easily loosen due to heat & vibration to allow slop or failure.

I own / have  owned two dozen various Palmetto State Armory ARs (including in Class III configurations) and have not experienced any operational issues (unless directly related to the operator. )

The PSA "Freedom" series is a great value AR that you can always upgrade later on (thanks to the wonderful modularity of the AR design). A  Barrel & Bolt swap thousand of rounds down the road is pretty easy.& Inexpensive - compared to rifles that require gunsmithing & specialty tools like a HK-91, M1A or FAL.

Bonus - PSA has a No Hassles - No Bullshit warranty & excellent customer support.

The GarandThumb "burn down" video was interesting as they deliberately abused that poor AR with full auto + suppressor to accellerate wear much faster than "average AR shooting" for their video. Even firing rapid full auto suppressed mag dumps the two worn parts (barrel & gas rings) are fairly easy parts for even an average guy to swap.

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hicklifeoutdoors:
View Quote

PSA's Freedom line rifles as currently spec'd are well worth what they sell for.  If that's what fits your budget, move out smartly.  As others have noted and you seem to understand, commitment to training must also be part of your plan if you don't want to just be another goofball with a gun.  Upgrades are fine at the point you're certain the gear you have is preventing you from being all you can be, but that's probably further down the road than you might think.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#10]
BCG interaction with the physical upper is pretty minimal. I wouldn't worry about that.

If PSA is all the funds you have, it beats not having a rifle at all. You can certainly upgrade as you go.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top