Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2023 1:14:43 PM EDT
greetings, I live in one of those states where you can't have high-caps.  Was working with my 10rd mags lately and I noticed that the 'Wilson NC' marked ones that seem to be made of nylon or other plastic don't drop free.  Oh well.  They're snug and I think they're experiencing friction with the glass-filled nylon magwell. For practice only from now on.

I have a pair of metal e-landers marked 'made in Israel' which drop free clean, as well as the original bushmaster.

so, anyone want to recommend brands/models that they have good experiences with in the low capacities ?  I'd rather have a short body than a long body that's blocked.

a quick browse on cheaperthandirt shows:
Leapers (polymer)
HERA (polymer)
ProMag (polymer, 10 & 15)
Thermold (polymer, 15)
Amend2 (polymer)
D&H (aluminum)
ASC (aluminum, stainless)
MissionFirst (polymer)
FAB (polymer)

I don't care about weight.  I care about durability of the body and spring, jam-free action of the follower, and proper retention, and drop, in the magwell.  It clicks in when I load, and drops free when I press the button.  No ducking around.

My gut says metal is better.  Pieces of plastic like to stick to each other, the surface is naturally not as smooth as metal, at least in these polymers.  Any opinions about aluminum vs. stainless ?

I've been out of the market a while, I recognize some of the names above.

Is ProMag's roller follower worthwhile ?  The fact that they make 15's is a motivator.

Thanks for your informed views!
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Currently being manufactured:

Pmag 10 round
Lancer 10 rd
D&h 10 rd

No longer manufactured, but some of the best:
Okay 10rd aluminum, there are still some out there at gunmagwarehouse and ranier arms
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're in a 15 round limited state I'd buy 15 round elanders.
I think they're one of the few manufacturers that make a factory 15.
I've had good luck with elanders in 5.56 & 6.5 Grendel.
Also have some 10s from D&H, Fab Defense, PMAG & OKAY that run fine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I've tried a 30 rnd roller follwer from ProMag - worked fine, but didn't try it out w/ 1000 rnds.

ProMag also makes a flush fit 10 round steel mag that is flush w/ the magwell.

Thermold makes a 10 round nearly flush fit, w/ the floorplate sticking out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tgmr05:
Currently being manufactured:

Pmag 10 round
Lancer 10 rd
D&h 10 rd

Okay 10rd aluminum, there are still some out there at gunmagwarehouse and ranier arms
View Quote

This^^^  Don't even consider anything else.....
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BobinNC:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BobinNC:
Originally Posted By tgmr05:  Currently being manufactured:

Pmag 10 round
Lancer 10 rd
D&h 10 rd

It's not difficult to make 10 round mags.  Difficulties start arising at 20 & up - hence why modern 20s are curved.  10 round mags from practically anyone are gonna work in a semi-auto AR, particularly an AR rifle.  And it's not like you're stockpiling 10 rounders against a possible ban, you can get one of every 10 rounder made for under $150, and try em all out, see what works best in your guns before buying a bunch.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]
You might take a look at some 10rd 50 beowulf Mags
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

It's not difficult to make 10 round mags.  Difficulties start arising at 20 & up - hence why modern 20s are curved.  10 round mags from practically anyone are gonna work in a semi-auto AR, particularly an AR rifle.  And it's not like you're stockpiling 10 rounders against a possible ban, you can get one of every 10 rounder made for under $150, and try em all out, see what works best in your guns before buying a bunch.
View Quote

Well, the mindset of 10 round mags not being difficult to make is what op is trying to avoid in what manufacturer to buy from.  There are low capacity magazines that do not work well, by manufacturers who did not understand the difficulty in making them…
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Well, the mindset of 10 round mags not being difficult to make is what op is trying to avoid in what manufacturer to buy from.  There are low capacity magazines that do not work well, by manufacturers who did not understand the difficulty in making them…
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  It's not difficult to make 10 round mags.  Difficulties start arising at 20 & up - hence why modern 20s are curved.  10 round mags from practically anyone are gonna work in a semi-auto AR, particularly an AR rifle.  And it's not like you're stockpiling 10 rounders against a possible ban, you can get one of every 10 rounder made for under $150, and try em all out, see what works best in your guns before buying a bunch.

In 5.56?  10 round AR mags?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#11]
PMAGs and D&H aluminums, if for no other reason than that both can have ranger plates added. I use 10 rounders in long range builds and ranger plates are a godsend - gives you extra grip.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top