Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2024 7:28:16 PM EDT
Don't want to mess around with multiple brands of uppers and lowers trying for a perfect fit.  Want the tightest fit possible for a forged upper and lower, and the fit should include the barrel even if its thermo fit.    Whose brand do your recommend.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By haze10:
Don't want to mess around with multiple brands of uppers and lowers trying for a perfect fit.  Want the tightest fit possible for a forged upper and lower, and the fit should include the barrel even if its thermo fit.    Whose brand do your recommend.
View Quote

BCM and SOLGW are the two that come to mind. Both are pretty consistent with their specs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BSOL:

BCM and SOLGW are the two that come to mind. Both are pretty consistent with their specs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BSOL:

I have a solgw set and you can put them together and shake them and the lower will stay in the upper.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of the best upper/lower receiver fitments I have are the "lowly" Andersons.  Barrel fit is usually snug, but no need for heat.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
On top of the above suggestions, you can also get over or undersized takedown and pivot pins from JP to address any slight play or excess tightness. Probably less likely to be an issue with an upper and lower combo from the same people, but either way can be a good finishing touch.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#5]
Originally Posted By coastal_shredder:
On top of the above suggestions, you can also get over or undersized takedown and pivot pins from JP to address any slight play or excess tightness. Probably less likely to be an issue with an upper and lower combo from the same people, but either way can be a good finishing touch.
View Quote

Some of the loosest upper/lower receiver fitments I have are also from the same company, but different than above, *ahem* Aero Precision *cough*

They even tap a hole so you can tighten a screw to "fix" them...

All that said, I like my Aero receivers because, well, it really doesn't mean shit in the real world.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
All that said, I like my Aero receivers because, well, it really doesn't mean shit in the real world.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:08:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rkangel777] [#7]
Mega.  I have never had a more perfect fit.  Receivers are tight with absolutely no wobble, yet I can still push out the takedown pins with my thumb when needed and don't have to hammer them out.  Thermal fit for the barrel.  Top notch all the way around.

ETA:  Mine were not a matched set.  They were purchased 10 years apart and still fit each other like they were a matched set.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Centurion forged matched set.  

Basic looking set, no BS.
Thermo fit upper
M16 cut lower
Goldilocks upper/lower fit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
No idea if it's still that way, but for many years RRA lowers were intentionally cut so tight that nearly all uppers would require some "encouragement" to be able to fit onto a lower. IIRC the report was they were assembled with a rubber mallet at the factory. Of course one could take any loose fitting receiver set and "bed" the rear lug with epoxy paste to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:17:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#11]
The last few sets I've gotten from Aero have been fantastic, but I got them as a matched set...YMMV.

Aero also has the adjustment screws to help make the fit snug, though none of the matched sets I have ever needed it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#12]
IS MEGA still available?  Thought they were bought out by ZEV.

Just my preference but I don't like the tensioning screw tight.  They tighten, but the method is to push the upper away from the lower, not exactly what I want.

Any preference between SOL and ZEV, do both have tight barrel fits?

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:53:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#13]

Just my preference but I don't like the tensioning screw tight.  They tighten, but the method is to push the upper away from the lower, not exactly what I want.

View Quote

I don't like it either, and don't use it on my Aero's.  If I want to snug up the fitment, I just stretch an o-ring around the front pivot pin lug on the upper.

They don't last forever so if you split the halves a lot, you may want to buy in bulk
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rkangel777] [#15]

View Quote

They were bought by Zev but Mega is still available:
https://www.zevtechnologies.com/Shop/MEGA-Arms-Rifle-Parts

My Mega lower was from when they were still Mega owned.  My upper is a blem Mega/ZEV Redacted upper under ZEV ownership.  Purchased over 10 years apart yet they fit like a glove and the finish is a perfect match.  
(MEGA, ZEV, and SOLGW are known to have the same unique satin finish that was a hallmark started by MEGA.  I would not be surprised if SOLGW receivers are private labeled by ZEV.)
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Larue upper/lowers and Mega upper/lowers are taut as can be.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Berger24:
View Quote

^Yup. LaRue's fit is the best I've come across. They are snug. Neither of mine have any side-to side wobble.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Where can one buy Larue forged upper and lower receivers?  
You must own them since you claim they're taut as can be.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Mega. IE zev or JSE
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Richard257:

View Quote
I know OP stated forged, but the above post didnt. I too have a larue billet set and IMO its ALMOST too tight. first several installs take some muscle. Mega is perfect from day 1.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oh...Thanks for contributing to the post, DICK257.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Rkangel777:
Mega.  I have never had a more perfect fit.  Receivers are tight with absolutely no wobble, yet I can still push out the takedown pins with my thumb when needed and don't have to hammer them out.  Thermal fit for the barrel.  Top notch all the way around.

ETA:  Mine were not a matched set.  They were purchased 10 years apart and still fit each other like they were a matched set.
View Quote

I have a similar story with an upper and a lower from DPMS.  It was a very pleasant surprise.  

kwg
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a pair of Aero Precision forged cerakote upper/lower and they are extremely tight together... and were bought 10 years apart.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By djkest:
I have a pair of Aero Precision forged cerakote upper/lower and they are extremely tight together... and were bought 10 years apart.
View Quote

I've noticed that virtually all the Aero, PSA, and Brownells receivers I've gotten the last couple of years all fit extremely well, unlike the ones I got some years ago.

Poorly fitting sets are why I went to the Aero Gen2 lowers with the adjustment screw, though nowadays I don't seem to need them.

Seems to me that overall fitment quality has improved the last few years, at least with the most common brands
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top