Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2023 5:06:15 AM EDT
This week, I have returned to archery after a 15 year break. I crashed my hang glider 15 years ago, and the subsequent mid shaft humerus fracture, two plates, 9 screws, rehabbing, made my Hoyt Ultratec impossible to draw.

I’ve been dreaming about a new Mathews bow for the last 15 years, and I found one that works for e. The Mathews 2023 “Image” allows me to crank down the poundage to 37lbs, so I can develop my arm again. That said, I bought the bow from my pro shop and had them build it up for me. I’d like to one day shoot my Hoyt UltraTec again, it’s at 65lbs which is way too much for my busted wing “as is”, I’ll have to get those muscles back again. I sure like this Mathews. I managed to get 5 shots out of it yesterday until my arm said “NOPE!

I’m glad to be back with a bow again. I’ve greatest missed it.

Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck

Look into Mathews TRX bows. It’s the indoor target line. Decent speeds, very forgiving for the pull weight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 2:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m shooting this brand new Mathews “Image” cranked down to 37 lbs presently.

About 13 years ago, I crashed my hang glider, and ended up with full mid shaft humerus fracture. After two titanium plates and 8 screws, AND 13 years, I cranked down my Hoyt UltraTec all the way I could and still could not draw it.

I went to my local pro-shop, I have always been interested in Mathews bows, but to be frank, I had given up on Archery, I used to shoot competitively, and I loved it. I loved hunting with my bows. I have several. But I thought my left arm was done.

My Pro shop guy was showing me the Mathews “Image” which is reported to be the bow that you can set and shoot at far lesser weights, and grow into the bow and start increasing the pull weight. So, for the first time in 13 years, I drew a bow successfully. So, I bought one, and had him build it to my specifications.

So, for the past few days, I’ve been at the indoor range shooting it, as well as using a “ShotSaver” to develop my arm again.

I was good for 30 shots today and I was done. My arm and shoulder were visibly tired and I was pulling shots all over the place. But i went BIG as far as accessories buying what I wanted the first time so it would be there when I am ready.

I signed up for leagues in October, pretty much repeating what I had done before when I was shooting archery, I was quite obsessed. Fortunately, my indoor range and pro shop are just five minutes away. I am retired now, so, I have plenty of time to shoot.

I am thrilled to death about this new Mathews bow. I’m just getting to get to know it.

I’d like to take my Hoyt UltraTec into the pro-shop and get it serviced. New string, full tune up. The lowest setting on draw weight, so I can get used to both bows. I’d like to set the UltraTec for my indoor tourney bow. Before my glider crash, when I was shooting it, it was a total dream. I know, I know, the cam and a half is out dated tech, Still, it’s in pristine shape, I’ll NEVER sell it. Back then, it was my dream bow. I have to say though this Mathews is also a total dream bow. My PSE “Beast” is plenty good, I’d like to get that in service too. I’ve had two bows prior that were lest behind by a departing step-dad that started me into Archery when I was a teen of 14. So, I keep getting but by the archery bug.

So, that’s the background story.

Link Posted: 9/12/2023 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I had an upper body injury and had to go with a crossbow. I miss the compounds. Here the crossbow is legal for hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top