Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2019 9:16:51 PM EDT
Hey guys/gals,

So I was big into archery hunting from the late 90's into about 2008.  I gave it up due to the economy at the time and then most of my hunting partners moved away or died.  My wife is a worry wart so she doesn't like me to hunt alone because what if something happens, that shit has gone on long enough and has been firmly squashed. I am going solo regardless.  I have the knowledge and skill set to back country hunt even if I run into issues. I am EMT 1 certed on the first aid front.

Anyways my gear this is where I need some help, back in the day I only bought and shot the best and I realize a decade of technology may have changed the players.

Current bow is a Hoyt Vtec with cm and half cams, I am shooting 70 pound draw. I am going to pick up some Easton 5mm woodland camo full metal jacket arrows at 28 inches and due my own flecthing which I am set up for. Rest is a drop away QAD hdx and seems to be working well. Sight is a 5 pin small diameter fiber spot hog, first pin is set for 40 yards and is all I shot from zero to 40.  String is stock and is 10 years old, I used to run winners choice pre strecthed strings and they worked well for me back then as I like to run my peep sight without a stupid rubber band. I already have all the other gear spotting scopes, range finders and that type of stuff.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 9:29:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thorshammerblow] [#1]
Glad to hear you are back into it.  There is nothing like getting a good kill with your bow (although I have never killed anything with a spear or atl atl

I still remember my first archery kill-it was the most incredible rush I have ever had, I was so excited.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I got out my gear the other day after about 6 years off.

Wondering if the string is still GTG - no obvious signs it's not, but it too is ten years old, or so.

I need to re-fletch my arrows, but I hope to be drawing/releasing by next weekend!

Woo-hoo for us! LOL
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:50:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#3]
I'd replace the string and keep the 10 yr old string as a back up. Measure the length strung and brace height and write it down on a piece of paper and put it in a plastic bag with the string.... just in case.

I would always hunt solo unless my Dad was with me. Good times...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top