Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2023 12:43:42 AM EDT
Playing with the Sirius Archery / Ranch Fairy test kit with 250 & 300 spine Apollos, 100gr inserts and field points from 100-200 grain. Every single combination is hitting with nock end off to the right.
Attachment Attached File

Bow is an Obsession FX30 with 65lbs limbs. I forget the exact draw length but the shafts were cut 27.5” carbon to carbon.
Moved the rest (QAD drop away) side to side with no change.  Played around with my form with no change. Both cams lean left a bit at rest which I’m wondering if that may have something to do with my issue.
Local bow shop I bought it from closed during Covid and the only folks I’d trust to work on it don’t seem interested due to the brand. Nearest dealer is on the other side of the state.
Wondering if cam lean could even cause these results / should I track down a tech willing to adjust it. The alternative as I see it is to skip bare shaft / paper tuning, fletch the shafts and run the same shaft / tip weight trial and run the best performer for this season.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I do bare shaft tuning at twenty yards.  If the bare shafts are impacting (notice I'm not mentioning anything about the nock) to the left you need to either move your rest to the left and/or ADD a twist or two to the RIGHT side of the cams and subtract a turn from the LEFT side.  If the bare shafts are hitting to the right of the fletched ones, move the rest to the right and/or ADD twists to the LEFT side of the cams and subtract from the right.  Myself I prefer to play with the yokes and leave moving the rest for very small tweaks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. After I made this post I ended up finding a knowledgeable bow technician who offered to take a stab at it.  Fixing the cam lean made a little difference but didn’t totally correct how it bare shafted.

I went down the rabbit hole reading up on Obsession bows from this time frame (right before Martin bought them) and this was a common complaint on this model due to the short ATA.  Several people ended up replacing limbs and cams and most never fully resolved their issues. Sucks cause I like the bow but I ended up cutting my losses and buying a new bow.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Procat:
Thanks for the reply. After I made this post I ended up finding a knowledgeable bow technician who offered to take a stab at it.  Fixing the cam lean made a little difference but didn’t totally correct how it bare shafted.

I went down the rabbit hole reading up on Obsession bows from this time frame (right before Martin bought them) and this was a common complaint on this model due to the short ATA.  Several people ended up replacing limbs and cams and most never fully resolved their issues. Sucks cause I like the bow but I ended up cutting my losses and buying a new bow.
View Quote

What did you get?  I'm going to be upgrading from my cheap Bear Legit in the near future.  I really like what I have been reading about the Athens Archery stuff but there aren't any dealers anywhere close to me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

What did you get?  I'm going to be upgrading from my cheap Bear Legit in the near future.  I really like what I have been reading about the Athens Archery stuff but there aren't any dealers anywhere close to me.
View Quote

Got a Mathews V3X 29” (I’m a sucker for short ATA since I hunt from trees). After my Obsession ordeal I wanted something I could take into any bow shop and not have issues getting work done. Basically meant Bear or Mathews IMO.

While the tech was tinkering with my Obsession I grabbed a V3X and shot through the paper we had set up. 28” / 250 spine / 275gr point and 28” / 300 spine / 225gr point shot bullet holes bare shaft. Bow was marked down $200 since the Phase4 is the new flagship.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top