Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2020 8:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: centrarchidae]
My kids, 7-8 years old, want to start learning archery.

He's about 4'6" with about 48" wingspan, and can almost draw my 62"/29# SW Spyder but strung it's about as tall as he is and I don't want to start him with a bow that he'll be fighting.

His sister is a little shorter with a little less, 4'4" and 45" maybe.

I'm looking at both the Southwest Archery Tiger 54"/16#, and the Samick Sage Junior 58"/14#.

Too much, too little, or should I be looking at something else entirely?

ETA: Think I'd be safe trying to measure them for arrows before having the new bows in their hands?
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are great bows!

My sons started with Genesis bows and moved up from there. It kept it interesting as they wanted to get proficient so they could step up to a more powerful bow with optics.
Now the oldest has grown out of it, but the middle son will be bow hunting hopefully this coming season, he is 11.

Hard to say if the bows you picked are right, as only you know your kids but good on you for getting them into archery!
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Mission makes several nice bows with wide draw ranges (like 17-30") so they'll grow with the kids. As a Hoyt fanboi, I also like the Klash. I'd suggest trying to find a dealer locally and having the kids try them out and get properly fitted.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
As a trad only hipster, I think that the southwest tiger fits the ticket.

You can usually find 1500 spine arrows on eBay that will actually fly straight so they’re not hating the process of overspined arrows.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Follow-up:

I ended up getting them the Southwest Archery bows. The bows are great, basically a reduced version of the 62" Spyder I'm re-learning with.

I ended up buying a pre-packed kit off of Amazon, though, and they cheaped out on the arrows, field points which are basically round and don't penetrate the foam target, and nocks breaking off. Less happy about that part. It should take longer than 45 minutes to deadline three arrows.

So, help me find a good online source for non-crappy (but ideally not premium-priced) arrows suitable for a 20" 16# draw?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top