Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2022 4:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami02TJ]
Hey guys

I picked up some bows from a friend and I'm trying to understand what the numbers on the bows mean and if they are worth keeping.  In addition, one does not have a brand on it and the only identifying mark is a painted over logo that looks like a spartan helmet image.  See pic.

Thoughts?

Bear Kodiak Recurve
Ba-14
06-386
Amo-60"
40#

Bear Montana Longbow
Ml-13
10-2284
Amo-64"
45#

Smokey River Bows
58 aud - could also say 58 amo but that handwriting would be worse that my doctor's
45# e 28"
140901g

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Amo is the length of the bow. Amo is a standard measurement. For instance. Amo draw length and amo bow length. The lb is obviously the lb. The other numbers idk. Draw weight is normally measured at 29” I believe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
After looking at it I guess it could read 58 amo and not 58 AUD

Ty
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The first bow is 40 lbs. draw weight, i.e, 40#.

The second bow is 45 lbs. draw weight, i.e., 45#.

The third bow is also 45 lbs. draw weight, i.e., 45#.

The notation on the third bow of 45# e 28" actually probably treads 45# @ 28" which means that the bow draw weight is 45 lbs. at 28 inches draw.

Noting that the weight is at 28 inches is somewhat redundant because the standard draw length is 28 inches unless otherwise specified & it seldom is specified otherwise.

Therefore, you can reasonably infer that the draw weights for the other two bows are at 28 inches.

I'm not sure but I think that the old rule of thumb for draw weights at different draw lengths was plus or minus 2 lbs. for each inch so the 40 lb. bow would be 38 lbs. at 27 inches and 42 lbs. at 29 inches.  I'm sure there are reasonable limits to those numbers but I don't know where the rule of thumb becomes unrealistic.

Congratulations on finding some cool old bows.  My guess is that they probably aren't worth much unless you find a collector wants one but there are a lot of old bows laying around somebody's garage or in somebody's attic just gathering dust.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hardcase:
The first bow is 40 lbs. draw weight, i.e, 40#.

The second bow is 45 lbs. draw weight, i.e., 45#.

The third bow is also 45 lbs. draw weight, i.e., 45#.

The notation on the third bow of 45# e 28" actually probably treads 45# @ 28" which means that the bow draw weight is 45 lbs. at 28 inches draw.

Noting that the weight is at 28 inches is somewhat redundant because the standard draw length is 28 inches unless otherwise specified & it seldom is specified otherwise.

Therefore, you can reasonably infer that the draw weights for the other two bows are at 28 inches.

I'm not sure but I think that the old rule of thumb for draw weights at different draw lengths was plus or minus 2 lbs. for each inch so the 40 lb. bow would be 38 lbs. at 27 inches and 42 lbs. at 29 inches.  I'm sure there are reasonable limits to those numbers but I don't know where the rule of thumb becomes unrealistic.

Congratulations on finding some cool old bows.  My guess is that they probably aren't worth much unless you find a collector wants one but there are a lot of old bows laying around somebody's garage or in somebody's attic just gathering dust.
View Quote

Ty. They're all in almost new shape. I plan to use them until I can't anymore.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone have any idea what the mystery one with the Spartan helmet logo is?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:26:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#6]
Assuming the bows aren't warped or cracked you got some cool bows.  I'd love to have a Bear Kodiak.  I'm not super familiar with the Bear Montana but it's a Bear so it's a good bow.  

I've never heard of Smokey River bows but they appear to be custom made which generally means pretty expensive.  

I couldn't find any info on bows with the Spartan Helmet logo.  Kind of a cool looking bow.  

Best guess is you have well over $1k worth of bows if they are all in good condition.  Wish I ran into bows like that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top