Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2024 8:49:41 AM EDT
My wife has always wanted a compound bow for target shooting since before we were even dating (we've been together for a little over 10 years now).

Finally decided to pull the trigger and pick up a bow for here. My parents live about 2 miles away, and have a big open area that we can use to target shot with.

Purchased a Bear Legit package, in the "Ghost" color (she really liked that one). Unfortunately, I had to order it online, since it was a limited edition color and very few people actually had any left.

We do have a few "archery" stores around us within a reasonable drive (sub-30 minutes), and some even have indoor ranges. We also have a Cabelas about 25 minutes away as well.

So as far as accessories, any help / direction would be much appreciated. Obviously the person in question is a novice / beginner, and discipline would be target shooting (not hunting).

Brands to stay away from would be great too, or ones to lean towards as well.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:52:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BIG-DUKE-6] [#1]
A nice target bag
Binos
Range finder
Archery club
Local 3-D shoots
Better stabs ( front and side)
Carbon arrows.
Hard case

Looks like you’re going to need a arrow rest as well ( full capture for beginners)
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I suggest a whisker biscuit, it will make her life a whole lot easier
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
A nice target bag
Binos
Range finder
Archery club
Local 3-D shoots
Better stabs ( front and side)
Carbon arrows.
Hard case

Looks like you’re going to need a arrow rest as well ( full capture for beginners)
View Quote

Per the Bear site, it comes with:

Trophy Ridge 4-pin "Joker" sight
Trophy Ridge "5-spot" quiver
Trophy Ridge "quick-shot" whisker biscuit
Trophy Ridge 6-inch "Blitz" stabilizer

I will know for sure in the next couple days what it physically has in the box, but that list above is what is included per the website.

I did have someone recommend the Viper Venom sight as a possible upgrade. Supposedly the Joker is decent, but the housing is plastic and you have to be careful tightening the pins. The Viper Venom is all aluminum and a little bit better quality from what I'm told.

Also looking at a possible release. Not sure how important that is on the list.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#4]
A descent release is very important.   Archery , like any other adult hobby is a very deep rabbit hole. I recommend getting good parts that you can transfer to a better bow once she has outgrown (outshot) this one.
Obviously you will want to wait to see if she even likes it before you start sinking serious money into it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
A descent release is very important.   Archery , like any other adult hobby is a very deep rabbit hole. I recommend getting good parts that you can transfer to a better bow once she has outgrown (outshot) this one.
Obviously you will want to wait to see if she even likes it before you start sinking serious money into it.
View Quote

Thanks, been reading a lot on releases. Think I may have settled on the Spot Hog Whipper Snapper. Had a couple people recommend it. Not too complicated, but a decent release for a new shooter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]
HHA Optimizer Lite is hands down the best site in the market IMHO
Whsiker Biscuit rest.....set it and forget it.  Easy
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the bow in tonight surprisingly.

Pulled it out and the accessories didn't quite match the pictures on the Bear site.

Sight is a 4-pin Trophy Ridge "gem" model. Plastic housing doesn't seem very sturdy. Not a huge deal as I was planning on changing it out.

Stabilizer is the 5-inch Snubnose vs the 8-inch Blitz, so that may need an upgrade. I've read the Snubnose is nice and compact, but not so great at dampening.

Quiver is the 5-shot as expected.

Rest however was a small upgrade to the Trohpy Ridge "Whisker Biscuit V" model, which has the bristles in a triangular shape vs a round donut.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:51:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wils91] [#8]
First thing I would do is find the closest mom and pop shop that's been around the longest and take your wife and the bow to get set up.

Have them check the cam timing, check for cam lean, set the center shot, set the poundage, and set the draw length.

Bear can often, even in their more expensive models /packages have some bad cam lean and either need shimmed or the cables/strings twisted to get it straight. ( I'm a Bear guy so I've seen it). I have a brand new Alaskan XT that had some issues out of the box.

As far as upgrades..
Get rid of the tube peep. Those can come loose/untied and snap back into your eye. Have an aluminum no tube peep served in. There pretty cheap and come in different colors.

Shoot the bow as is for a while before you start dumping money into accessories. That stabilizer and sight will be just fine while she's learning and getting her form dialed in.  
Arrows can be expensive
Targets can be expensive
Spend your money on that first. A good arrow that's tuned can make a big difference.

I've been using a $50 ish dollar tru-ball  index finger release for 10+  years. You don't need an expensive release to get started.

Maybe change out the wrist sling. Those single cord trophy ridge ones are pretty stiff and not very comfortable. You can get nice paracord ones off Amazon or etsy for fairly cheap in pretty much any color you want.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Wils91:
First thing I would do is find the closest mom and pop shop that's been around the longest and take your wife and the bow to get set up.

Have them check the cam timing, check for cam lean, set the center shot, set the poundage, and set the draw length.

Bear can often, even in their more expensive models /packages have some bad cam lean and either need shimmed or the cables/strings twisted to get it straight. ( I'm a Bear guy so I've seen it). I have a brand new Alaskan XT that had some issues out of the box.

As far as upgrades..
Get rid of the tube peep. Those can come loose/untied and snap back into your eye. Have an aluminum no tube peep served in. There pretty cheap and come in different colors.

Shoot the bow as is for a while before you start dumping money into accessories. That stabilizer and sight will be just fine while she's learning and getting her form dialed in.  
Arrows can be expensive
Targets can be expensive
Spend your money on that first. A good arrow that's tuned can make a big difference.

I've been using a $50 ish dollar tru-ball  index finger release for 10+  years. You don't need an expensive release to get started.

Maybe change out the wrist sling. Those single cord trophy ridge ones are pretty stiff and not very comfortable. You can get nice paracord ones off Amazon or etsy for fairly cheap in pretty much any color you want.

View Quote

Great info, thanks. I do plan on taking her to a local shop / indoor range, to have the bow fit to her (draw length & weight), as well as some basic lessons. I will make sure I have them check for the cam lean and timing at the same time (I'm sure they would check it anyways if they are a reputable shop, but I'll mention it regardless).

And yes, the peep was on my list to change out for a standard 2-string "donut" style.

I really appreciate all the info thus-far and advice. Thank you to all who wrote in here. Keep it coming!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top