Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2021 6:58:28 PM EDT
Situation:
Female, right handed with right wrist injury, & Yes I watched "The Legend of William Tell" as a kid.
I have a bunch of groundhogs making homes all around my house and barn (I think this needs stealth and quiet because they are VERY observant and skittish).
I am not a weakling & my arm strength is pretty good for a girl, but the wrist injury limits my ability to do some things.
There are lots of stones around the property, so I don't want to ricochet a bullet through my house shooting at the varmints.
Not looking to spend thousands. Any suggestions for brand, size, etc. is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:27:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#1]
Get a 223/5.56 and use any one of the explosive Varmint bullets to eliminate the ricochet problem while maintaining efficiency. I like Fiocchi 50gr VMax load.

For a crossbow, Ten Point.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPK:
Get a 223/5.56 and use any one of the explosive Varmint bullets to eliminate the ricochet problem while maintaining efficiency. I like Fiocchi 50gr VMax load.

For a crossbow, Ten Point.
View Quote

Thanks for the info!

Interesting suggestion of explosive Varmint bullets! I do have the 223/5.56 covered, so I may try that.

For the crossbow: Ten Point certainly has some awesome equipment and of course I love some of the top of the line. That is much higher than I anticipated though. Any opinion on the lower end crossbows?

Link Posted: 9/11/2021 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ten points Wicked Ridge line has a lower price point than the rest of the line.
I have a Wicked Ridge RDX 400
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bigborehound:
View Quote

Looking at it on their site. Do you have the Pro View or Multi-line scope?
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a M1 Titan and you are probably as likely to ricochet bolts off a rock as you are a bullet.  What kind of varmints are you planning on shooting?  Losing bolts gets expensive quick if you aren’t getting any meat out of the deal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 12:47:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lhands] [#6]
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
I have a M1 Titan and you are probably as likely to ricochet bolts off a rock as you are a bullet.  What kind of varmints are you planning on shooting?  Losing bolts gets expensive quick if you aren’t getting any meat out of the deal.
View Quote

Ground Hogs...Maybe I should use a slingshot instead. I think I might be able to hold with the right hand & pull with left, but would have to try that before buying. Must exterminate!

We do have HUGE herds of deer around here and they are causing lots of damage at our friend's farm. I saw 3 bucks together the other day, each a different generation, & have not seen that before. I thought about trying my luck hunting deer with a crossbow. MI law allows it. They eat our veggies and fruit bushes/trees.

Lots of rabbit and turkey around here too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#7]
On the lower end/entry level, Barnett is a solid choice. I have the Whitetail Hunter II and like it. In the sub $400 range it's probably the best option.

Ever consider an air rifle for the ground hogs?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]
CO2 air rifle would be a lot easier on your wrist.  You in town?  My city won't allow shooting w/ an air rifle, but a 125 lb draw crossbow is GTG!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ReverendMaynard:
On the lower end/entry level, Barnett is a solid choice. I have the Whitetail Hunter II and like it. In the sub $400 range it's probably the best option.

View Quote

Hmmm....Great idea!
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
CO2 air rifle would be a lot easier on your wrist.  You in town?  My city won't allow shooting w/ an air rifle, but a 125 lb draw crossbow is GTG!  
View Quote

I am out in the country where anything goes.
I will look at air rifles too. Thanks for your reply!
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

@ReverendMaynard - I am still considering getting a crossbow and have looked on the Barnett website. They have a Whitetail Hunter STR. This is not what you suggested, but I do not see what you suggested offered on the site. I do really like that it is only 6.6 lbs because of the wrist injury!

Any suggestions on website for how it works/best practices info?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lhands:
Situation:
Female, right handed with right wrist injury, & Yes I watched "The Legend of William Tell" as a kid.
I have a bunch of groundhogs making homes all around my house and barn (I think this needs stealth and quiet because they are VERY observant and skittish).
I am not a weakling & my arm strength is pretty good for a girl, but the wrist injury limits my ability to do some things.
There are lots of stones around the property, so I don't want to ricochet a bullet through my house shooting at the varmints.
Not looking to spend thousands. Any suggestions for brand, size, etc. is appreciated.
View Quote

Crossbows are easier to shoot than compounds, and they are quieter than suppressed rifles and don't need any paperwork. I bought a few Barnetts from the Walmart clearance thread for next to nothing. The current one has about a 10 deer count and still going strong. Meat in the freezer. No complaints.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By EEnginerd:

Crossbows are easier to shoot than compounds, and they are quieter than suppressed rifles and don't need any paperwork. I bought a few Barnetts from the Walmart clearance thread for next to nothing. The current one has about a 10 deer count and still going strong. Meat in the freezer. No complaints.
View Quote

Thanks for your input. You are the 2nd to mention Barnett. I am looking at them. I will have to see if there are any sales...
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I came across a double bolted crossbow the other day - quite expensive, but the 1st crossbow I've ever seen that offered two shots before recocking.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I came across a double bolted crossbow the other day - quite expensive, but the 1st crossbow I've ever seen that offered two shots before recocking.
View Quote

Yes, I think one of the Ten Point, top of the line, had that capability.
LOL, not having ever shot one before, are you saying -nicely- that I may need 2 shots to get these critters?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]

@ReverendMaynard - I am still considering getting a crossbow and have looked on the Barnett website. They have a Whitetail Hunter STR. This is not what you suggested, but I do not see what you suggested offered on the site. I do really like that it is only 6.6 lbs because of the wrist injury!

Any suggestions on website for how it works/best practices info?
View Quote

I bought mine on Amazon. The STR appears to be a newer version for about $60 less. A hand cranking cocker device can be added to both which you might consider. Using a rope cocker may be difficult with a bad wrist. The scope kind of sucks as I upgraded mine after one deer season.
There are plenty of you tube videos showing unboxing and use of just about every model.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#17]
The WT Hunter II is 6.0 pounds. You can also add dampeners which will make crossbows even a little quieter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Lhands:  Yes, I think one of the Ten Point, top of the line, had that capability.
LOL, not having ever shot one before, are you saying -nicely- that I may need 2 shots to get these critters?
View Quote

Not at all.  We have no limits on hogs in Texas, and up to 7 deer a season if you hunt in the right counties.  Would be a shame to pass up a nice doe just so you can get the bigger buck.

There's also a CO2 powered cocking/decocking line, which are quite a bit less expensive now than when they came out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#19]

I bought mine on Amazon. The STR appears to be a newer version for about $60 less. A hand cranking cocker device can be added to both which you might consider. Using a rope cocker may be difficult with a bad wrist. The scope kind of sucks as I upgraded mine after one deer season.
There are plenty of you tube videos showing unboxing and use of just about every model.
View Quote

In my opinion, it wouldn't be rough on a wrist because there's no twisting. You're pulling the cocker straight back like a bent over row. But I guess that depends on how jacked the wrist is.

@ReverendMaynard
What scope did you go with?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By EEnginerd:

In my opinion, it wouldn't be rough on a wrist because there's no twisting. You're pulling the cocker straight back like a bent over row. But I guess that depends on how jacked the wrist is.

@ReverendMaynard
What scope did you go with?
View Quote

UTG. Just sighted it in yesterday. Like it so far.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Not at all.  We have no limits on hogs in Texas, and up to 7 deer a season if you hunt in the right counties.  Would be a shame to pass up a nice doe just so you can get the bigger buck.

There's also a CO2 powered cocking/decocking line, which are quite a bit less expensive now than when they came out.
View Quote

I did see something about a powered cocking/de-cocking device. I think I read something about the sound and possibly scaring the ground hogs since they are so skittish. I am sure it would be much easier for me though...

Unlimited deer on the farm when they are decimating your crops.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I did see the hand crank and was considering that. Will have to look at YouTube to see how they work. {Seems like the crank would get in the way, but I assume you remove it after each time.}
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#23]
If they're eating your crops, you need a ballista.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Centerpoint Sniper Elite for $299, plus crank if you don't want to draw by hand for an extra $80. Centerpoint gets great reviews, with some great features for the money. Mine has been super accurate.  A little front heavy but again most budget crossbows for the money will be,  or be shooting slower.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigborehound:

I have the multi line. It's okay, I've been looking to replace it,  though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ShamusMcOI:
Centerpoint Sniper Elite for $299, plus crank if you don't want to draw by hand for an extra $80. Centerpoint gets great reviews, with some great features for the money. Mine has been super accurate.  A little front heavy but again most budget crossbows for the money will be,  or be shooting slower.
View Quote

Interesting! Little heavier than the Barnett Whitetail Hunter STR, but less expensive.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#27]
@Lhands, ever make a decision?
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#28]
@Lhands, ever make a decision?
View Quote

@ReverendMaynard
Been busy helping a friend with a bum knee, but plan to visit a store near by this weekend so I can handle a crossbow or 3. The Groundhogs moved on because I kept drowning out their holes. However, I do plan to buy and learn to use a crossbow. Plenty of deer and rabbits around to try my luck at! Good to have another type of weapon too...
I will let you know my choice!
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.  I've not come across any crossbows under $500 that looked like they would last long or could be hunted with.  Hopefully, you find out otherwise as I'd love to add one to my arsenal...I mean collection.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.  I've not come across any crossbows under $500 that looked like they would last long or could be hunted with.  Hopefully, you find out otherwise as I'd love to add one to my arsenal...I mean collection.
View Quote

Have you seen or handled any of the Barnett’s? Mine’s taken three deer the last two years and shows no reason it won’t last for many years to come. A poster above said his has taken about ten deer. There’s absolutely no reason you can’t hunt with a sub $500 crossbow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Barnett has really upped their game since last time I looked (which was several years ago).  They have some pretty modern crossbows at decent prices.  

Out of curiosity, which one do you shoot?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
Barnett has really upped their game since last time I looked (which was several years ago).  They have some pretty modern crossbows at decent prices.  

Out of curiosity, which one do you shoot?
View Quote

The Whitetail Hunter II which apparently has been discontinued. Bought it before deer season last year on Amazon on sale for $375. Just took my fourth deer with it this past weekend.

Seems that the WH STR is the newer version at $420. It has integrated the foot stirrup directly into the riser. It shoots a 22" bolt at 375 ft/s versus the 20" at 350ft/s of the WH II.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:47:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#34]

I did see something about a powered cocking/de-cocking device. I think I read something about the sound and possibly scaring the ground hogs since they are so skittish. I am sure it would be much easier for me though...

Unlimited deer on the farm when they are decimating your crops.
View Quote

I have the Hand crank on my Ten Point Viper 400 and my wife loves it. We had a Wicked Ridge with the Accudraw 50 before and she would have problems with it. Not to mention it was a bit noisy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top