Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 3/20/2023 12:31:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: comma]
I used to be into archery as a teen but it has been many years since I have shot a bow.

Interested in getting back into it and I would like the most simple, traditional bow I can get. Made in the USA is a must.

What style would be most "American traditional"? Would it be a longbow/flatbow?
and what suggestions would you guys have on a basic manufacturer/setup?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Look into Robertson stykbows.  Made in Montana.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:39:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: comma] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
Look into Robertson stykbows.  Made in Montana.
View Quote

Should have mentioned budget. As cheap as possible for now. Just trying to get a starter bow for now.

The Robertson ones are nice but $1500 is way out of my price range right now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Were the old Bear brand bows US made? Are they viable if they are second hand? I still have mine from the 1970's but never string it up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Right or left hand?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bdicki:
Right or left hand?
View Quote

Right
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By comma:

Should have mentioned budget. As cheap as possible for now. Just trying to get a starter bow for now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By comma:

Originally Posted By pavil58ar:
Were the old Bear brand bows US made? Are they viable if they are second hand? I still have mine from the 1970's but never string it up.

That's what I was going to say. A lot of the Grayling Michigan Bears are kinda pricy compared to the others (Hoyt/Browning/Shakespeare/Ben Pearson) but any 1970s hunting bow is fully depreciated and won't drop in value. I paid something like $20 for my Browning (made by Shakespeare IIRC) 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:58:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#7]
The Samick Sage is never a bad choice for a first traditional bow.  It’s a take down recurve and there are lots of limb options so you can start at 25 pounds and work up.  They are also very good bow for the money, and the money is reasonable. You can also set it up bare bow shooting off the shelf, or set it up with a rest, plunger, sights, etc.   The downside is that it’s not going to meet your made in USA requirements.

——

Personally, I like the challenge of a long bow.  They are a little less forgiving than a recurve, but the high reflex/deflex long bows are still fairly easy to master.

The Bear Montana is a reasonably widely available choice and it’s a quality bow for around $400-450 in a fairly wide range of weights.  Don’t go crazy with bow weight as you are holding full weight at full draw.  35-40 pounds is plenty for a new traditional bow shooter.

The Montana has a slight reflex longbow design, an easy to shoot 64” length, and a maple wood core with opaque fiberglass backing and facing.

—-

I have some more expensive bows including a Kota Prairie Fire, a mostly custom ordered bow from an bowyer in North Dakota, although a couple Scheels locations stock and sell them in limited numbers.  Kota bows are well made, very attractive, and super smooth shooting.  They do have an outer layer of glass but it’s clear and shows the bamboo core laminations and the and exotic hard wood veneers.  The Praire Fire is a 60” high deflex/reflex long bow design, and is very, very smooth to shoot and feels like it has less draw weight than it actually has.

I also have a BlackTail Columbian, made in Oregon.   It’s a bit more money, and also very attractive. Like the Kota it also uses bamboo core laminations and exotic hardwood veneers with a layer of clear glass over the top for protection, durability and some added strength. Mine is also a 60” bow better suited to hunting in the woods, and it is again a very smooth shooting bow.  It’s hard to beat bamboo core laminations for smoothness in a long bow.

—-

The big advantage those higher end bows offer over an entry level longbow like the Bear Montana is higher qua,ity bamboo core laminations and a noticeably smoother feel.  It’s a subjective difference and hard to describe, but after my first arrow out of my Kota Prairie Fire when I tried it, I knew I had to buy it.

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 5:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 74HC] [#8]
Cheap and USA made don't go together in the archery industry.

With that said, my first bow is a Samick Sage recurve and the next bow, a Dragon X8 compound bow. Compound bows are the way to go, imo. Components for recurves such as sights are surprisingly expensive. Bow accessories for compound bows are a better deal all around simple because of the volume.

Still waiting for a good deal on a used USA bow, but with the COVID checks, that's been hard to find in the last couple of years. Used prices have not recovered lower in my area yet.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top