Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2018 3:41:48 AM EDT
Been using a single cam bow for a long time. Have an ancient Bear Grizzly that was a gift that I shoot periodically.  Been thinking of getting a nice takedown recurve. Wife has asked what I want for Christmas,  would like one of them.

What are pretty good ones?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the samick sage with 35lbs and 55lbs arms.  I like it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Been looking at the Samick Sage takedowns.
Need to try and find a dealer local and lay hands on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#3]
I could NOT locate a Sage online.

Then I discovered the OMP Smokey Mtn Hunter actually IS the samic Sage:

Under $100 here

They are the same bow:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Archery/comments/2xouzv/omp_smoky_mountain_hunter_vs_samick_sage_same_bow/
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the sage; great beginner bow. Haven’t touched my compound since I started shooting recurve (2 1/2 years)

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Hoyt Satori.

Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't do samick.

Check out predator bows if you want something a little more traditional.

Hoyt satori is nice and uses ILF limbs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Southwest Archery makes an "Improved Sage" , Spyder. I have one and like it just fine. If you want to jump in hard there are several excellent custom manufacturers. Black Widow,  Bob Lee, and a place down my way, Timberhawk - not quite as well known but I really liked his bows. You'll spend 500-600 for one of his vs $1100 for one of the others I listed. I was going to buy one first of this year but after I got hurt last fall that ended that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
These kind of caught my attention when I was browsing for this thread. They look like the bear/martin profile. I might end up spending some money this morning.
https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2180767&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-2180767&WT.z_pg_ref=prd712744

I had a bear super kodiak that I loved. I ended up selling it when I enlisted, but I should have kept it. It was a nice shooting and good looking bow for being a mass produced one.

Amazon Product
  • 2-piece riser is made of brown and black Hard-Rock Maple
  • Limbs overlaid with clear maple, backed and faced with high strength black fiberglass
  • Tips are handcrafted and layered with black and white fiberglass

Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Super K is a great one piece bow. Never owned one but shot a couple; I would have been fine with one as my only bow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone.  Really great options so far.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been shooting the Sammic sage for about 2years now (20 years on the compound). It’s a great bow, extra limbs are cheap . Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By unpleasant:
Don't do samick.

Check out predator bows if you want something a little more traditional.

Hoyt satori is nice and uses ILF limbs.
View Quote
WOW it’s ironic you posted this right after mine. I’m dropping the hammer on a Satori later this morning. I’ll post a range report after I get it broke in .
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut284] [#12]
I just picked up a Martin Saber Elite 45lb off Amazon for about $80 and it seems nice so far. Seems certain camp patterns are cheaper than others and there are some good deals if you can live with a particular pattern and the draw weight available. If you go up in price a little the Martin Jaguar seems a little lighter and shorter which is nice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Great options.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#14]
This is the 2nd newest topic in general Archery, and wow this forum is dead, Jim.

Since it's hanging around prominently at the top, I'll start by saying don't get a Sage.  Get a ILF riser and limbs.  I have a Sage and the dimensions of the riser is not that great for modern recurve archery.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
74HC is right, get an ILF riser and ILF limbs, those bows can be easily disassembled and stored. If you get a decent riser you could go whole hog and get Olympic style equipment, Lancaster Archery and from the UK Alternative Services has a ton of options, hard to decide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top