Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 8:55:42 PM EDT
I've been given ~60 .50 cal bullets, just the projectiles, and they weigh ~695gns. I haven't been able to find and info on them . Any ideas? Some of then have been fired, they have rifling in them, but are otherwise pristine.

Joe
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:09:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinsbad69] [#2]
The marks you’re seeing are pull down marks. Projectile removed from the case
Yes, pics would help
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
They are not pull down marks.. How do you post a pic here?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Team members can upload directly to site. Non team members need a hosting site, such as photo bucket, imgur, etc..
Hope that helps
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow that's big.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya not pull down marks. They were shot.

Use then as the clacker for a wind chimes?

Remelt and cast new rounds for smaller bullets?

Resize and shoot again ( J/K )

Never get Any of mine back that look that good.

Have picked up a few tungsten cores off the ground about 3 foot the opposite side of a V8 chevy engine they were loaded light too.

As far as info not much on them accept they appear to be standard ball ammo by the looks of them.
No paint on the tip to designate specilaty no burnt out base to indicate tracer.

As pristine as those are I'd expect some type of paint if they were anything but ball ammo.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By billyb2u:
I've been given ~60 .50 cal bullets, just the projectiles, and they weigh ~695gns. I haven't been able to find and info on them . Any ideas? Some of then have been fired, they have rifling in them, but are otherwise pristine.

Joe
View Quote

What info are you looking for?  What is your question?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Depending on what the base of the projos look like, probably Ball M2, WW2/Pre-Korea vintage.  Soft steel core, copper jacket, lead plug in the nose.

Keith Pagel
R&D Liaison Officer,
Fifty Caliber Shooters' Assn.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slap_shot:

What info are you looking for?  What is your question?
View Quote

I couldn't find and specs on the 695 grain weights. We're trying figure out if my late friends dad who landed on the beach on Okinawa (I have his 1913) picked them up from there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Bullet base tells the story.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a few fired .50 M33 bullets with the rifling marks from the first few rounds fired into the Super Trap system at Barrett. They only went in about 10" or so before being stopped.
Ronnie wanted one of them and encased it in an acrylic block. Another one went to George Kontis that was the head of Engineering at Barrett for some time.

I still have 2 or 3 of them.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top