Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#1]
How do the Champion safes fair on this test?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
OK..Lets see how I can do this..First the important stuff..Any safe from ANY manufacturer and I do mean any.  Is a piece of junk if it does not have bolts on all four sides of the door. Even just ONE on top and bottom will make all the difference. There is ONE exception. That is if it has a RECESSED PLATE STEEL DOOR.  The recessed part so that there is no purchase point for tools. The plate part to defend against the no top or bottom bolts. However you compromise your fire rating in exchange for security. Composite doors by their very nature boost the fire rating but have easy purchase points for tools because they are flush with the front of the safe.

The colonial 23 that was destroyed with two 18" crowbars:
This safe was in an outbuilding. It is believed that the contracting crew working on the house broke into it and they had the time to do it. Anyone of you who has a Liberty safe manufactured AFTER 2001 (you can see the manufacture date on the door edge) will be able to verify that the biggest contributing factor that led to this safe's demise is the sheet metal wedges that are used on the topmost and bottommost bolts to keep the door tight against the doorseal in the event of a fire. SHEET METAL!! Like duct work!! IN A SAFE!! They just crushed right off the bat.  There wasnt even anything left of them.  Now you have about an INCH of play on a door that cant even defend itself with no top or bottom bolts.  Even though IMO the Colonial is just a Gym locker with a really expensive door, it would not have been broken into through the door if it had had top and bottom bolts.  

I will give anyone here a concrete saw and i will take two 18" crowbars and we will go at a Colonial 23. It doesnt even matter when it was made as long as it only has front and rear bolts. I will be in the door before you can cut a hole big enough to get anything out of it. Timber Ridge, Harley Davidson(the small one), John Deere, the Low end Remingtons are all made from the Colonial shell.

I'm told one of you is a Liberty dealer.  If you were during the changeover from hand-made to automation in Q4 2001, Then you cant deny the changes that happened to the door designs of the Lincoln series on down.  Did you even wonder why you were getting Lincoln 50s and Franklin 45s with doors that were sprung and wouldnt close right? The damn things were made of a SINGLE SHEET of 12guage steel stamped in a press, seam-welded on the four corners and then a single belly band of steel was inserted that the lock and boltworks were welded to. the doors could NOT SUPPORT THEIR OWN WEIGHT.  There were people in the warehouses adjusting them with WOODEN BROOM HANDLES. The door was closed at strategic points with the handle wedged in so the steel would bend and the door would close plumb. A lot of this has been addressed and the doors on the big safes have been redesigned to beef them up more but its still not a pretty sight if you ever get to see whats behind the inside panels.

I am known to one person in this group and all this could be verified if I really felt like dealing with whoever owns Libetry safes at the moment. So all you get is conjecture and implication. I will answer any questions put to me honestly and OBJECTIVELY as long as I'm convinced you are not trying to pull a legal ambush. I own a Liberty Residential 12 MFG. 1998, and a Champion Crown 40 MFG. 2001. I owned a Liberty Residential 12 MFG. 2001 and a Lincoln 25 MFG. 2002. I sold the RS12 for $300 and the LX25 for $100 below dealer cost because I wouldn't use it. The differences between the two RS12s were surprising.

Only YOU know what you want and what you want it to do.  In this industry you really do get what you pay for.  For $6000 I would LOVE to own a Fort Knox Yeager series safe. But its SIX freakin thousand dollars. But theres a safe.

Just make sure that what you buy has bolts on all four sides. Unless you have a alarm system. I havent checked latelt but Liberty's Franklin series used to NOT have a bottom bolt.  Dont take back your Timber Ridge if its gonna do what you need it to do. The worst that will happen is that you already found out that its TOO SMALL.

Very interesting, and somewhat depressing. I just picked up colonial 23 in september.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I also want to know this as I'm considering purchasing either a Trophy or Challenger series Champion safe.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Enlightening.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I also want to know this as I'm considering purchasing either a Trophy or Challenger series Champion safe.  

Should have some pictures of a Challenger 50 that was attacked soon. Waiting to do the swap out on it. Going to try and do it Thursday, but doesn't like it will happen. So hopefully have it by next week. We haven’t seen it yet and can only go on what there owner of the safe told us. She said it had its dial knock off and they took a chisel to the door.  They where unable to get in the safe. I have no idea how long they worked at trying to get in the safe. We will be getting a copy of the police report hopefully when we pick the one up. If I can, I will post a copy of that also minus the name and address.

I'm hopping to keep the safe for a floor display at the store.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
So is Fort Knox the de facto best standard in safes? I was looking at their high end stuff and
it seems as though the only difference between the Yeager and the Titan is 28 bolts on the Yeager and 20 on the titan along with a signed copy of General Yeager's autobiography.......Is that really worth an extra $2500??? I have the following I would like to fit in the safe so if you could recommend me a size and give me your opinion on the Titan I'd appreciate it......
-Barret M82 w/ swavorsky
-AR50
-2x Colt 6920
-1x Kimber Raptor 2
-1x HK94
and I will be picking up a Steyr Aug and maybe another AR-15 or so.......I also have some valuable WW2 daggers I would like to store in the safe- just 2 of them so I would like 3 shelves or so.........
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I am going Champion.  Crown.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Gary_631, can you tell me anything about American Security (AMSEC) safes.  The particular model I have picked out is the LP6032W.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-LP-main.htm
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I just went down and looked at Champion, Cannon, Heritage, and FT Knox safes side by side.  I was very suprised at how cheesy the safes with 12/11 guage bodies felt.  The walls sounded thin when knocking on the side of the safe.  I've decided to go with either a Heritage Centennial or Ft. Knox Defender.  Whichever model I purchase will be upgraded to 3/16" body and a 3/8" plate steel door.  Now I just have to make a decision!  

I was absolutely amazed at how much more solid and heavier the Heritage door felt as opposed to the Champion Challenger door.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I just pick up a Champion Sport 23 with key pad lock for 849.00 the bolt all around is what sold me. I figure for the price it was my best option, look like I guess right
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know anything about Sturdy Safes? http://www.sturdysafe.com/
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Does anyone know anything about Sturdy Safes? www.sturdysafe.com

I've been interested in them also.Anyone???????

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just went down and looked at Champion, Cannon, Heritage, and FT Knox safes side by side.  I was very suprised at how cheesy the safes with 12/11 guage bodies felt.  The walls sounded thin when knocking on the side of the safe.  I've decided to go with either a Heritage Centennial or Ft. Knox Defender.  Whichever model I purchase will be upgraded to 3/16" body and a 3/8" plate steel door.  Now I just have to make a decision!  

I was absolutely amazed at how much more solid and heavier the Heritage door felt as opposed to the Champion Challenger door.  

2nd on the Heritage.  Lot of higher-end features at a good price.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#15]
My Champion Challenger safe is going to be delivered this weekend
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My Champion Challenger safe is going to be delivered this weekend

Well my safe was delivered this weekend. My first impression is that this safe is MUCH beefier and built a lot better than my Remington/Liberty safe. Another thing I like is that the edges around the door frame are smooth. The Remington safe had a tendency to cut/scrape my hand if I were to get something out of the top shelf.

If you miss the combo by one digit in the Champion, the safe will not open. With the Remington you could open the safe if you just moved the dial in the general area of the correct numbers. Lets say the first digit was a 6. You could either hit the 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and the safe would still open if you continued the rest of the combination.

My only complaint about my Champion is that it smells like paint! Making my house stink.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a liberty presidential series, and I'm quite happy with it.  I don't think it's any easier to break into than any other safe with comparable features.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I picked up a Champion CH-25 for my wife.

She is very happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I had the Liberty Colonial safe with Remington written on the door.

Remington 630 Series http://www.remington.com/products/licensed_products/safes/630_series.asp
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone have any experience with these safes?  You have to purchase direct fom them, but I cannot find any other safe manufaturer with the same features for such a great price.  All these safes are 10gauge steel and you can upgrade to 14 1 1/2" TOP and SIDE locking bolts for $129., you will even get a sargent greenleaf digital keypad thrown in.

www.homelandsafes.com/safe-protector.php

The rifle safe 60x30x27 level V is $1,269.00 no tax
top & bottom bolts upgrade (1 1/2" Bolts)         $  129.00
digital lock (free )
curbside delivery                             $     75.00
total price delivered                        $1,473.00

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Does anyone have any experience with these safes?  You have to purchase direct fom them, but I cannot find any other safe manufaturer with the same features for such a great price.  All these safes are 10gauge steel and you can upgrade to 14 1 1/2" TOP and SIDE locking bolts for $129., you will even get a sargent greenleaf digital keypad thrown in.

www.homelandsafes.com/safe-protector.php

The rifle safe 60x30x27 level V is $1,269.00 no tax
top & bottom bolts upgrade (1 1/2" Bolts)         $  129.00
digital lock (free )
curbside delivery                             $     75.00
total price delivered                        $1,473.00

TELC,

Funny I found this, I was just about to order from them!

They have $100 delivery from Cali to florida?! I thought that was awesome..

The only thing that concerns me is the 2inch composite door? Liberty has 4inch..

I was thinking doing the same as you mentioned, with upgrading to 1/4 steel and maybe the dual locking system. It seems to be a great deal...life time warranty on the lock and safe itself
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, after doing some research on this subject for the past 3 months or so, I'm going w/ a Heritage safe.  All-sides locking bolts & ball bearing steel plate shell are std on most of their models.  Prices are extremely competetive or superior to the competition, especially for what they offer as std. equipment, & I haven't yet found a bad complaint about them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
TELC,

Funny I found this, I was just about to order from them!

They have $100 delivery from Cali to florida?! I thought that was awesome..

The only thing that concerns me is the 2inch composite door? Liberty has 4inch..

I was thinking doing the same as you mentioned, with upgrading to 1/4 steel and maybe the dual locking system. It seems to be a great deal...life time warranty on the lock and safe itself

I think they are just measuring the thickness from different points.  Seems like liberty is including the hollow part of the door that contains the locking mechnism in the measurement, and homeland is just including the plate + the part of the door that contains the fireguard.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top