Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Use the modified choke with wolf.  I was using bird shot shooting hostage plates at the last shotgun match.  I was hitting the target with no splatter on the hostage.

Link Posted: 9/20/2007 2:03:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Use the modified choke with wolf.  I was using bird shot shooting hostage plates at the last shotgun match.  I was hitting the target with no splatter on the hostage.

And that is what I have to look into. This is the first shotgun I've owned that had different choke-thingeemabobs, so on my next trip, I'll try various combinations of chokes/loads and see whats up.

The only problem with that is that the SLP seems to get pretty damned hot, pretty fast, so I'll bring a Glock or maybe the 590 to pass the time while it cools off a bit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 5:04:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm off to the range in an hour after oiling the SLP more than I usually do. We'll see. I'm bringing a variety of 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 bird, Fed LE 00, and Wolf 00, and BOTH pistons.

ETA: Back from the range. Much better!

Black cylinder cycled the loads I care about (Fed LE 00 and Wolf 00) perfectly. Ejection was a tad weak with the Fed LE, but it seemed to improve with more shooting. Another trip to range will tell, but perhaps there was some sort of 'break in' issue to deal with? As an added bonus, it cycled some cheap Winchester 1 1/4 bird shot. 1 1/8 loads wouldn't cycle.

Red cylinder cycled Wolf 100%, Fed LE 0% (though it would ALMOST cycle), and any bargain bird shot I gave it. (Win and Remington).

It'll get a good cleaning, another good oiling, and another good range session to see if 'red cylinder' performance can be improved any.

Another thing I need to pay attention to on the next run is what choke I'm using and the patterns that I'm getting. Most of my shooting was at a dirt berm with various bowling pins and whatnot, but towards the end of the session I put a few rounds into paper, and the pattern (Wolf 00) seemed awfully wide for ~35 meters. I'll have to fart around with the various chokes, I guess.

No slugs were fired since I read something in the manual way back about 'slugs and this choke are OK, but slugs and that choke are FAIL!', (or something like that), and I didn't want to find out the hard way...

I'd love to try the wolf brand ammo from a recommended use for this gun and price standpoint , but as I have to purchase it online by the time I add shipping it's the same price as Remington Gold Nitro Sporting Clays at Walmart...

Link Posted: 9/21/2007 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
An update on the functioning of my SLP.

Using the RED piston, Federal 00 Tactical Buckshot (HE132) functions perfectly.

Also, with the RED piston, Federal 1oz Rifled Slugs (F127RS) function perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
An update on the functioning of my SLP.

Using the RED piston, Federal 00 Tactical Buckshot (HE132) functions perfectly.

Also, with the RED piston, Federal 1oz Rifled Slugs (F127RS) function perfectly.

I was able to cycle ~ 450 rounds today before running out of targets without a single cycle problem. I changed the way I cleaned the gun adding some oil to the top of the piston right before adding the foregrip (inside of piston oiled, outside is dry).

Worked like a champ today on three different types of ammo.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Just my experience, but don't bother with the black piston unless you shoot 3" shells exclusively...stick with the red with any 2 3/4" shells and ignore the dram size FN talks about in the manual.

You won't have any problems this way...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top