Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That bolt / gas rod system looks strangely AKish!

Immagine that greatly helps the reliability.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Well, I've tried to imagine the increased reliability, but until they can make my friends work reliably with 30 round USGI mags, I will hold off on purchasing one.

Does an gas piston system automatically make a system more reliable, regardless of who designs it?

Bob

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I've tried to imagine the increased reliability, but until they can make my friends work reliably with 30 round USGI mags, I will hold off on purchasing one.

Does an gas piston system automatically make a system more reliable, regardless of who designs it?

Bob

Seems like a bunch of rag heads living in mud huts have that gas piston system down. You would think us Americans might be able to figure it out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Seems like a bunch of rag heads living in mud huts have that gas piston system down. You would think us Americans might be able to figure it out.

Interesting choice of words. Last I heard the gas piston on the AK came out of Russia. You still didn't answer my question.

Does an gas piston system automatically make a system more reliable, regardless of who designs it? In other words, just because it is a gas piston design make it reliable?

Bob
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Interesting choice of words. Last I heard the gas piston on the AK came out of Russia. You still didn't answer my question.

Does an gas piston system automatically make a system more reliable, regardless of who designs it? In other words, just because it is a gas piston design make it reliable?

Bob

Yes the AK was originated in Russia. If you follow the news, there all sorts of home brewed AKs made by people of arabic and african desent living in mud and grass abodes. Is that PC enough for you? I think I can easily argue that the AK gas piston system is more reliable that the AR sytem of opperation.

As far as your buddies Armalite, maybe he should send it with 10 magzines back to Armalite and get them to fix it for him. That's what I would do.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2005 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Bob

Yes the AK was originated in Russia. If you follow the news, there all sorts of home brewed AKs made by people of arabic and african desent living in mud and grass abodes. Is that PC enough for you? I think I can easily argue that the AK gas piston system is more reliable that the AR sytem of opperation.

Copying a design, is not the same as creating a design.
Just because they can build them, doesn't mean they know anything about design.
To take it a step farther, there is more to an AK than the gas piston. The AR was specifically designed without out. How does it follow that adding one, will make it better? Why would you automatically assume that the Kel-Tec was more reliable because it had one?
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Bob

Copying a design, is not the same as creating a design.
Just because they can build them, doesn't mean they know anything about design.
To take it a step farther, there is more to an AK than the gas piston. The AR was specifically designed without out. How does it follow that adding one, will make it better? Why would you automatically assume that the Kel-Tec was more reliable because it had one?

I'm done with this one. Discuss amongst yourselves.
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can they build this:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36876

That looks suave!

I'd be all over it!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I could almost talk myself into one, it's just that they aren't much cheaper than an AR.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Bob

Genrally speaking, yes, because there is very little fouling going into the action.

By itself it isn't, but it's a good first step.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Genrally speaking, yes, because there is very little fouling going into the action.

Anyone ever had an AR that stopped working because of exaughst gas  fouling in the action?  I haven't seen one.  And if the Pistons are so superior why is it the AR-18 had so many problems during the UK trials, and why the current UK rifle (based on the AR-18 action) still is having issues?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Anyone ever had an AR that stopped working because of exaughst gas  fouling in the action?  I haven't seen one.  And if the Pistons are so superior why is it the AR-18 had so many problems during the UK trials, and why the current UK rifle (based on the AR-18 action) still is having issues?

Hey, just repeating what I've been taught. It makes sense to me.

I'm unaware of the piston-related problems you cite.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Can they build this:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36876

Damn !    If they did that and dropped the price to $400-450 they would never be able to keep 'em
in stock !

LB
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Anyone ever had an AR that stopped working because of exaughst gas  fouling in the action?  I haven't seen one.  
And if the Pistons are so superior why is it the AR-18 had so many problems during the UK trials, and why the current UK rifle (based on the AR-18 action) still is having issues?

doesn't a SIG 550/551  use a gas piston ?  & a FAL ?  & a Valmet ? & a Galil ? & a AK47 ? & a AK74 ?

and a FNC ?  & a HK G36 ?  & a AUG ?  .......
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Anyone ever had an AR that stopped working because of exaughst gas  fouling in the action?  I haven't seen one.  
And if the Pistons are so superior why is it the AR-18 had so many problems during the UK trials, and why the current UK rifle (based on the AR-18 action) still is having issues?

doesn't a SIG 550/551  use a gas piston ?  & a FAL ?  & a Valmet ? & a Galil ? & a AK47 ? & a AK74 ?

And oddly enough many of the special forces units in the countries that issue those weapons often go with the M16 family of weapons. Funny old world, isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

And oddly enough many of the special forces units in the countries that issue those weapons often go with the M16 family of weapons. Funny old world, isn't it?

I guess this means the .223 is better than the .308, then, eh?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I guess this means the .223 is better than the .308, then, eh?

Being limited to military approved ammo, yes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top