BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
That sure is pretty.

What is the attraction of the vortex flash suppressor, i have noticed guys like them on their AR's
also? looks or function.

=================

Well, for one it is simply the most efficient flash hider in existance - period.  the myriad rip-off copies bear testimony to this fact.  So does the fact that it has been adopted by the USN and USAF for their MK14 rifles, along with the DOE, DOI and now, the Canadian Forces for their C-8.  Expect to see it in widespread use throughout DoD by 2006 on everything from the M4, scar and M249 through the M240, and even.....the M2HB Upgrade/TUSK.  And of course, 2ID...being Second to None has led the way on their M14SE's.   Don't forget, as stated earlier in this thread, the Vortex is sound suppressor capable (except for the M2HB/TUSK, M14 OEM and .458 SOCOM versions).  There is also the accurizing effect of the Vortex, most notable on the M249 and Para.   While the factory doesn't claim to any "accurizing" effects, it is nonetheless present as discovered by ARDEC and other USG agencies back in 2003.      
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It is all smith enterprise.  Bolt release, Ring, Mount, flash hider and lock ring.

SE did mine too, VERY happy with it! (Law483 stock)

Chen, what 4x-type optic would you reccommend for that/this rifle?

Thanks

Matt

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
SMGLee, H2O_MAN, bulldog1967 You guys are helping me keep on track with my build.
Well I had to do some thing to my Scout till parts start to role in for her. So I added a M14 Bipod I had here I got off Ebay real cheep. Seller was told it was USGI and when he got it the right leg would not stay locked into place. So for a buy it now of $10.00 + $3.85 shipping I took a small risk. The locking tube were the plunger is that lock in to the notch had been welded out too far. So today I cut the welds. Put the little tube in my Mill and recut the notch and rewelded it to the leg frame. I have a order for Duracoat comming for my Glock 22. My 5 year old son picked the color it is WW2 OD Green. With the left over I am going to paint the bipod that color. So till the Duracoat gets here a little Rattle can black had to do.

So here is my start to go from this.

To this. The one thing I am going to change about this blue print is use the same HK type front sight you all are using. Make sence it should not get hung up on things.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That sure is pretty.

What is the attraction of the vortex flash suppressor, i have noticed guys like them on their AR's
also? looks or function.

=================

Well, for one it is simply the most efficient flash hider in existance - period.  the myriad rip-off copies bear testimony to this fact.  So does the fact that it has been adopted by the USN and USAF for their MK14 rifles, along with the DOE, DOI and now, the Canadian Forces for their C-8.  Expect to see it in widespread use throughout DoD by 2006 on everything from the M4, scar and M249 through the M240, and even.....the M2HB Upgrade/TUSK.  And of course, 2ID...being Second to None has led the way on their M14SE's.   Don't forget, as stated earlier in this thread, the Vortex is sound suppressor capable (except for the M2HB/TUSK, M14 OEM and .458 SOCOM versions).  There is also the accurizing effect of the Vortex, most notable on the M249 and Para.   While the factory doesn't claim to any "accurizing" effects, it is nonetheless present as discovered by ARDEC and other USG agencies back in 2003.      

I had know idea it was all that, Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't care much for the short barrel M1s in the past, but I must say that yours is fantastic!  Now I want one.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
SMGLee, H2O_MAN, bulldog1967 You guys are helping me keep on track with my build.

To this. The one thing I am going to change about this blue print is use the same HK type front sight you all are using. Make sence it should not get hung up on things.

Well ... I'm getting the U.S.N. dove tail GLFS with a NM front blade on my Mk 14 Mod 0 (SASS) EBR.
This will be an Optics dedicated rifle with Irons available for back-up use only. I may someday install an XS front sight.

My second build will be a dedicated Iron sight rifle and will have the HK type front sight.
It will have a Knight's RAS top rail for my M8 Scout scope and EOTech

I may go with SEI's new comp with a NM blade on top...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]
A BTT to keep this from going into the archives (just yet!).  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Double tag to add Pics of my bulldog1967/SMGlee inspired 18" EBR shortly....Udog
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#10]
So who built it?  Very nice?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#12]
SMGLee and Bulldog,
  Nice rifles!  have

Ron
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#13]
it now has an Aimpoint on it and vortex FS on it
looking to get a Smith bolt stop for it too

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Very nice rifle TL1

How do you like your synthetic stock - tight fit?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very nice rifle TL1

How do you like your synthetic stock - tight fit?

thanks

The stock fits nice
One issue I had with accuracy was when I put the bipod mount in the drain hole.  The mount was touching the barrel and was making the accuracy worse. I shaved it down a bit and accuracy returned to normal.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I got the Leupold MR/T a few day ago... took it out and zeroed and broken in...  oh my, love the optic and love the reticle..  the glass is bright and clear, even the edge the clarity is good.  the reticle is fast and easy to use.  I was hitting steel out to 500m with ease.  got to love it.

Great pictures and report SMGLee - thanks

UPDATE #2 I spoke with Ron today 10/07 and decided the Leupold Mark 4 Mid Range/Tactical
M1 3-9x36mm Illuminated TMR scope would better match my rifles capabilities. P/N #60045.

I should have my SASS back before Halloween and will post a range report ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Great pictures and report SMGLee - thanks

I am undecided ...
I was planning on going with the Leupold MRT as you have - I spoke with Ron and Bill on Monday and
decided the Mk4 3.5-10x40 M3 Illum MIL DOT pictured here would better match my rifles capabilities.
www.athenswater.com/images/SEI_MK14_large.jpg
My local range has 800-yard targets.
My rifle has the 18" Crazy Horse barrel with the 1:10 twist and it is for the M118LR cartridge.

Thoughts, comments or ideas?   Thanks ~

UPDATE: After much thought I decided to go with the NEW Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T™ Front Focal illuminated TMR scope.

I should have my SASS back before Halloween and will post a range report ASAP.

I am not sure what you require out of your platform.  The Scout I build has just a good ole USGI barrel which the accuracy is not up to par as your 18" CH.  I use the MR/T M2 for one single reason, it is a short to mid range urban gun.  I don't plan on making precision hits out to 500m, I just need to make minute of torso hits at 500m. the 5x is good enough for gov't work.  

AsI see you are building more of a precision rifle, you will want the added magnification for your platform.  I think your choice will be well suited for your purpose.

Post some pics, can't wait to see it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I am not sure what you require out of your platform.  The Scout I build has just a good ole USGI barrel which the accuracy is not up to par as your 18" CH.  I use the MR/T M2 for one single reason, it is a short to mid range urban gun.  I don't plan on making precision hits out to 500m, I just need to make minute of torso hits at 500m. the 5x is good enough for gov't work.  

As I see you are building more of a precision rifle, you will want the added magnification for your platform.  I think your choice will be well suited for your purpose.

Post some pics, can't wait to see it.

Your observations are spot on.
My SAGE stocked rifle is set up to make full use of the maximum effective range the 18" CH barrel and M118LR cartridge offer.
I will not be able to experience the full potential until my sound suppressor arrives. It ships in December.
So yes, it is more of a precision rifle - a semi automatic sniper system if you will.

My second build will be a short to mid range urban gun inspired by what you, bulldog1967 and QuinlanV have built.
It will be a stripped down, lightweight iron sight rifle in a synthetic stock with an assortment of forward mounted optics available.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep this dialogue up -- it is serving a much larger purpose.  The Army is watching very closely.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#21]
American or German? hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I do have to say, I have the same setup as H2O-Man and cannot brag enough about it.  I went with an IOR 2.5-10 with the illuminated MP8 reticle on ARMS 22H's (using the Sage mount) and it is a fantastic shooter.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The Army is watching very closely.

Quoted:
American or German?

LOL
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Keep this dialogue up -- it is serving a much larger purpose.  The Army is watching very closely.

Yeah, the Air Force has already fondled my rifle during an SEI training school.
The Army, Navy and Marines are welcome to all the details I can provide.
Sorry if I omitted anyone...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the Air Force has already fondled my rifle during an SEI training school.
The Army, Navy and Marines are welcome to all the details I can provide.
Sorry if I omitted anyone...

===========
The Army will also most likely particpate in the next cycle at SEI's school.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#26]

What rings are you using there?

Also, could you go into detail a little more about what the S-7 trigger and hammer axis pins and the new tool steel connector link pin are?

I have never heard of them.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What rings are you using there?

Also, could you go into detail a little more about what the S-7 trigger and hammer axis pins and the new tool steel connector link pin are?

I have never heard of them.
----- -------  -------

The S-7 Trigger and Hammer Axis Pins are a special proprietary steel that carry an Rc of 55-58, as does the new Connector Link Pin, which is made from tool steel.  A principal problem with USGI trigger assys and USGI connector link pins is that they wear oblong as they are all invariably 40+ years old.  They are also around high 30's to low 40s on the Rc scale.  Over time, this results in an inconsistent trigger pull and hammer let off in military weapons.  It is not considered a sniper/DMR specific appliation -- rather a PMCS/MWO application for all M14s/MK14s.  As to the Connector Link Pin, the old units can and often do wear out of spec, resulting in less than secure magazine engagement.  Not a good thing.  Both of these apps are part of the M14SE Phase II package that is applied to military M14SE's as an MWO.  Expect to see this on the MK14 Mod O, as well.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

they wear oblong as they are all invariably 40+ years old.

Yeah, me to

I requested these mods be included in my build for enhanced reliability and function.
I think they are part of the "Long Life Package" SEI offers.

My Springfield had given me trouble with both the trigger and connector pins. SEI has the fix.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#29]

So can I get them directly from SEI?

What other parts or modifications are included in the, "Long Life Package"?

Thanks?
'cuz now I have more stuff I need to buy for it!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, me to heseI think they are part of the "Long Life Package" SEI offers.

My Springfield had given me trouble with both the trigger and connector pins. SEI has the fix.

Damn man!  How much are you going to have invested when all is said and done?!  I am up to $3200 on the gun and feel like I must have lost my mind!  hippie.gif
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, me to

I requested these mods be included in my build for enhanced reliability and function.
I think they are part of the "Long Life Package" SEI offers.

Damn man!  How much are you going to have invested when all is said and done?!  I am up to $3200 on the gun and feel like I must have lost my mind!  

The mind is a terrible thing and it must be stopped.

Not as much as you would think - I have made some great deals over the past 4 years.
The new TMR scope and sound suppressor are the high ticket items...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Scope update:

I spoke with Ron today (10/07) and we decided the Leupold Mark 4 Mid Range/Tactical M1
3-9x36mm w/ Illuminated TMR scope would better match my rifles capabilities. P/N #60045.

I don't think I will ever have the opportunity to target anything beyond 800 yards and the
front focal feature I was looking at seems to be better suited to 20X and higher scopes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

So can I get them directly from SEI?

What other parts or modifications are included in the, "Long Life Package"?

Thanks?
'cuz now I have more stuff I need to buy for it!
==============

The "Long Life Package" currently consists of the aforementioned S-7 Trigger & Hammer Axis pins, as well as the tool steel Connector Link Pin.  

The newest items for the M14 however, are SEI's new chrome silicon "Crazy Horse (CH)" hammer and op rod springs.  the new hammer spring, developed principally for the Armed Forces as an integral component in the M14SE Phase II Upgrade Program, offers more constent pull as well as speeding up lock time.  The trigger spring is actually lighter in compression than the dated OEM units, but provide a faster and stronger rebound.   All new M14SE's for the military (and civilians) will include the CH springs. Details on the CH oprod spring to follow.....

Oh and yes, they're directly available from the factory.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Very nice ! !
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The "Long Life Package" currently consists of the aforementioned S-7 Trigger & Hammer Axis pins, as well as the tool steel Connector Link Pin.  

The newest items for the M14 however, are SEI's new chrome silicon "Crazy Horse (CH)" hammer and op rod springs.  

WOW - I sent a set of CS springs to SEI along with my rifle months ago.
I guess they liked them so much they made them part of the LL package
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Similar, but not identical springs.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#37]
All,

I have a Springfield bush rifle I have placed into the Sage stock and put a SEI vortex and a few other parts on (also had a good smith do a trigger job on this rifle).  What exactly would be the advantage (accuracy, etc) of me sending my rifle to Smith for all of the work that they offer (i.e. what H2O man has done).  All comments appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#38]
What does the Mark 4 MR/T reticule look like when not illuminated?  Does it look like the below image, only all black?

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What does the Mark 4 MR/T reticule look like when not illuminated?

The image you posted is the SPR.

With the Special Purpose Reticle, you can engage targets with greater precision at longer ranges than generally possible with other reticle styles, yet also use it for instinctive, close-range/low magnification engagements. It also features several methods of accurate range estimation, using the height or width of the target as a guide.

This is the TMR...

The Tactical Milling Reticle expandson existing Mil Dot reticles by using various sized and spaced hash marks on the vertical and horizontal stadia for increased ranging precision, accuracy, and quick 1-meter range estimating reference points. All Mil Dot calculations are TMR compatible.

They are black when the illumination is turned off.

Cut-n-paste from Leupold.com
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Scope update:

I spoke with Ron today (10/07) and we decided the Leupold Mark 4 Mid Range/Tactical M1
3-9x36mm w/ Illuminated TMR scope would better match my rifles capabilities. P/N #60045.
www.clipsnstuff.com/images/products/rifscope/leupold/Mark4_3-9x36_MRT_M1_IR_XL.gif
I don't think I will ever have the opportunity to target anything beyond 800 yards and the
front focal feature I was looking at seems to be better suited to 20X and higher scopes.

I mounted a NightForce 2.5-10 w/ FC-2 ret on a SEI see-through mount. Awesome!

BTW, Thanks for the pics SMGLee!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Awesome One kick ass rifle.  

me wants one now....

me wonderin which two Ar's I can seel to get one.......

I'm smelling another build coming up soon
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#42]
H2O MAN:  Thanks for the info.  I pulled my info off the SWFA website; I shoulda known it wasn't complete.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:09:19 AM EDT
[#43]
SEI has a NEW - UPDATED web site up and running

LINK
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
SEI has a NEW - UPDATED web site up and running

LINK

================
OT but....Excellent. Been outta touch a week.  This is good news!  The new look I think reflects more of their defense orientation, based on how the SEI business model has evolved over the past 18 months or so.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Gotta say I really like that scope mount of the original posters.  I don't care for the standard mount that is offered at all.  I will be putting that mount on my list of accessories to purchase hah
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top