Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The -H gives me a fucking -hardon.  Ugly is as ugly does, and I bet that thing handles beautifully, ergonomically speaking.

Actually, I spoke with someone who has experience with it and he says the ergonomics are shit; not designed by actual end-users, despite FN's claim to the contrary.

I hope to find out for myself soon enough.

Who?  Just curious...

IM inbound.  Don't want to name names.

Best Regards,

Justin
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Cityslicker,

Got the email...undestand OPSEC/PERSEC.  Sounds like your source knows what he is talking about.

Link Posted: 6/29/2006 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Actually, I spoke with someone who has experience with it and he says the ergonomics are shit; not designed by actual end-users, despite FN's claim to the contrary.

Can you tell what impressions you've heard about? From what little I've read/heard, some are complaining about the placement/working of the selector lever; also some have commented on the charging handle as well as hand placement on the upper receiver being very uncomfortable (due to placement of ejection port and charging handle).
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#4]
WTF?  The selector looks like it is in the same damn place as on the AR?  Tell me if I am wrong but the ergonomics can't be any worse than the long running G3 series.

And it would have to have designed by the damn Marquis De Sade to have worse ergonomics than my beloved kalashnikov.

Long as it runs reliably and is as modular as they say it will be a success.

Can't decide which I want more yet, the L or H.  Still want a tavor.

Get all three?
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Assuming the BUIS are at the correct height, that optic is mounted too low.

The anodizing should match the lower, I bet production units will. At any rate, nothing a quick blast of krylon can't fix.

Lower is polymer, no anodizing.

I got a chance to mess with both at Shot and then just last week at the SOCOM APBI in Tampa.  Really it is a nice rifle, as far as you can tell from playing with one without firing it.  

The H is very light, and makes me think that you would have to be a Corn Fed mofo to fire it on select fire easily.

Here is some off topic food for thought:  FN did not have the FN2000 or PS90 on display at the Tampa show, only the SCARS and a few other goodies.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you tell what impressions you've heard about? From what little I've read/heard, some are complaining about the placement/working of the selector lever; also some have commented on the charging handle as well as hand placement on the upper receiver being very uncomfortable (due to placement of ejection port and charging handle).

I've wondered about the selector myself... on safe it would be much higher than folks are used to with M4/16/AR's... would probably be better if the selector positions were 90°/135°/180° rather than 45°/90°/135°.  They could fix the hand position ejection port/charging handle issue pretty easily as well for users not running a VFG or grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've wondered about the selector myself... on safe it would be much higher than folks are used to with M4/16/AR's... would probably be better if the selector positions were 90°/135°/180° rather than 45°/90°/135°.  They could fix the hand position ejection port/charging handle issue pretty easily as well for users not running a VFG or grenade launcher.

Purely from those who have handled, not used, the SCAR, said they didn't like how the selector switched from single to automatic, and back. Said it was very easy to switch to automatic unless you used a light touch.

Quoted:
WTF?  The selector looks like it is in the same damn place as on the AR?

On the AR15, the selector is slightly further back, towards the center of the grip and lower. Some have commented that people aren't used to this type of selector, so it may seem foreign. I'm sure it won't be a problem, just stating what a few have commented on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Fair enough.  I think with all of the press that the SCAR will be the US's next assualt rifle.

You can tell because of commercials.
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm always a bit leary of new firearms, but FN is one heck of a company and they have a stellar reputation for producing quality rifles so I'm sure the SCAR will be rather nice.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Some have commented that people aren't used to this type of selector, so it may seem foreign. I'm sure it won't be a problem, just stating what a few have commented on.

I think you are right on about this - I handled one at SHOT, and it did not strike me as "bad" just "different". I want one - especially in that crazy gold/tan color!

I hope they make one for the USMC with a longer handguard and about a 17" barrel - that may just satisfy the freeks at WTB while still giving the 0311s something short enough for urban and mounted operations.
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#12]
How much money do you think these will go for when they are released?  I want one L and one H.
I think around 2k.
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, if it goes for less than 2k I'll be shocked.
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#14]
If it sells for 2K, it will be well out of my budget..............
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Cyclone, I'm selling every one of my rifles/carbines if I have to in order to afford it.
I want one of these babies in the worst way.

My only worry (because I have the worst luck) is that some goofy new ban will be enacted before the SCAR can hit the civie market.

Link Posted: 7/2/2006 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I personally would rather spend 2k on a VERY nice AR, and hold off on buying a SCAR until the bugs are worked out and the price adjusts to market-saturated levels.  Even at that point I'm not sure the benefits of a SCAR would outweigh what 2k would get me in an AR-the choice of the finest barrels, optics, and stocks on the market.  I am not a serious enough collector to buy the civilian SCAR just because it MAY be used by SOCOM and Big Green.  I'll wait.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Regarding selling price, I think it will largely have to do with how many they are making.

If the military buys a whole bunch of them, and the production numbers become really high, then the price might well be pretty decent.

If the production numbers aren't too high, then the price probably will be pretty high.

Economies of scale in production will make a difference.

Well, the original poster wrote that the .mil price will be approx. $700-$800.
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#19]
 So that's probably a decent percentage, say 10% or so above what it costs them to start making the gun.  Keep in mind also that this would be in the early stages and FN would still be paying off the ENORMOUS cost of tooling up to make this gun in CNC templates, molds for the polymer and probably still the R&D costs.
 Civvie price would probably be twice  the military cost, at least.  They are also going to have to make a few changes in order to market it to civvies.  A new reciever incapable of select fire for one.  If people are willing to pay 2k for the FS2000 than FN wouldn't dare price the SCAR below the civvie price of the FS2000 or else no one would buy an FS2000 ever again.  This is one of of those things I hope I am wrong about!
 If only these things were priced to directly compete with the SIG 556 than that would be so cool!
 If I can't get a tavor than I will have a SCAR.
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#20]
That's my one real fear...........a new ban that denies us the right to have the SCAR............if the price is decent, I will probably let my AK's go to fund one, but if the price is 2k or higher, I might have to go with the SIG or maybe a Tavor if it comes to fruition  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cyclone, I'm selling every one of my rifles/carbines if I have to in order to afford it.
I want one of these babies in the worst way.

My only worry (because I have the worst luck) is that some goofy new ban will be enacted before the SCAR can hit the civie market.

Link Posted: 7/11/2006 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Quoted:
The -H gives me a fucking -hardon.  Ugly is as ugly does, and I bet that thing handles beautifully, ergonomically speaking.
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

keep in mind for every 1 you find that says it not right for him you can find 300 more that disagree, or vise versa

Link Posted: 7/11/2006 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Quoted:
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

keep in mind for every 1 you find that says it not right for him you can find 300 more that disagree, or vise versa

Well, from the "tactical operators" that I have spoken with, the general consensus seems to be that there other systems out there worth looking into, to put it mildly; something that actually was designed with the input of those who use it.

Link Posted: 7/11/2006 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Regarding selling price, I think it will largely have to do with how many they are making.

If the military buys a whole bunch of them, and the production numbers become really high, then the price might well be pretty decent.

If the production numbers aren't too high, then the price probably will be pretty high.

Economies of scale in production will make a difference.

Extruded upper, injection molded lower, I think it will be surprisingly inexpensive.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top