Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Did Pete give a price in the Ad in Shotgun News?

Link Posted: 1/7/2007 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
cuanto cuesta?

lawdawg430
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did Pete give a price in the Ad in Shotgun News?

No price shown in the Shotgun News ad.

I wish my scanner is connected to the computer I'm using.

Here's a description and words in his ad.

Background is a dark wavy US flag.

The main picture is same as the picture in their website but with more detail which shows their new style VFG, flutted 16" barrel and different style FS.

At the right lower corner of the ad are small pics of the optional rail (same as his actual not finished rail pics in this thread), barrel assembly with VFG attached and four different capacity mags (all pics in the ad seems CAD computer generated).

Text description:

The Future...Here Today!
MSAR logo
STG 556

• Innovative Advanced "Bull-Pup" Rifle Design

• 5.56 (.223) Caliber

• Gas Operated Action

• Mil Standard 1913 Rail Options

• Chrome Lined 16" and 20" Quick Change Barrels

• Ambidextrous Use Including Right or Left Hand Ejection

Debuting at the 2007 Shot Show
Proudly Made in the USA
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice, Thanks for that Alpha-Romeo3!

Link Posted: 1/7/2007 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
So, based on your description, I am guessing it might look something like this:

Am I close?

(Thanks to Hollister over at USN)
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So, based on your description, I am guessing it might look something like this:

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/Redhed97/MSARSTG556.jpg

Am I close?

(Thanks to Hollister over at USN)

That's the wrong ad. I was just guessing with my description. (joke)

Nice job posting the ad.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
What do we know about this company MSAR?  Have they done anything in the past?  

Link Posted: 1/8/2007 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It stands for Microtech Small Arms.... more or less.

www.microtechknives.com/

So yeah, they have done a few things in the past  
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.microtechknives.com/

Ok, I've heard a lot about microtech knives being high priced/high quality knifes. Certainly some good reviews on their knifes are out there.  

This must be their first firearm venture?

I'm very hopeful for this new rifle, but I'm a conservative person when it comes to spending close to $2,000.00 on a new rifle by a company new to firearms production.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.microtechknives.com/

Ok, I've heard a lot about microtech knives being high priced/high quality knifes. Certainly some good reviews on their knifes are out there.  

This must be their first firearm venture?

I'm very hopeful for this new rifle, but I'm a conservative person when it comes to spending close to $2,000.00 on a new rifle by a company new to firearms production.  

True.... but they have Pete. Have you already forgotten that  

This rifle and new arms division will steal the SHOT show... no doubt about it !
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm hopin Pete will give us a pre-SHOT preview.. Hint, hint...
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.microtechknives.com/

MicroTech?  Their firearms division used to be called UniTech, and from what I've heard, it tanked big time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.microtechknives.com/

MicroTech?  Their firearms division used to be called UniTech, and from what I've heard, it tanked big time.

Your kidding! They are only 25 miles from me! Is this where they are making the parts/rifles?

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, they've got a nice looking operation with top of the line stuff and they do have Pete!

From what I've seen I guess I feel as comfortable about buying this rifle as anyone could without having actually fired the thing.  Just like to know all the info I can in a purchase.  

Pete is hands down the biggest expert on the Steyr Bullpup AUG rifle in the country so Microtech should be happy to have him on this.

Just hope they come out with an RAS system similiar to the B&T rail or the Steyr A3 rail system.  Right now you can't get the A3 and the B&T rail is like $500.00.  

I'm also curious and really excited about the new mags, the barrels, the quality of the polymer and everything else.  I have an AUG A2 and the thing is pretty rock solid so the bar has been set high, but I like the improvements I've seen so far from Pete and think they were long overdue for the AUG.    
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.microtechknives.com/

Your kidding! They are only 25 miles from me! Is this where they are making the parts/rifles?

S.O.

Unknown.  Bones21 said that MSAR = MicroTech, so I'll defer that to him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.microtechknives.com/

S.O.

You guys kill me  

No Sherlock fans here huh ?

I figured this out a long time ago..... as many of you should have.

Take a close look at the prints underneath some of Pete's parts. I actually had a very strong hunch even before I caught it in the prints. Some of Pete's earlier pics had the letters M.S.A.R. on some of the parts. Then I used my noggin' to figure it out. It was only confirmed when I saw the prints.

Take a closer look and you will see what I mean.

Link Posted: 1/9/2007 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Hell guys... take a look at the SG news pic a few posts above.

Even in the small print it says "Microtech Small Arms Research" and it has the Microtech Knives logo  

If it were a snake, it would have bitten you guys  

I'm just messing with all of you.... it's no big deal to miss something like this. If I weren't looking, I wouldn't have found the clues either.

Also, I was not aware that they had a failed arms program in the past  

Care to elaborate....
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.microtechknives.com/

S.O.

You guys kill me  

No Sherlock fans here huh ?

I figured this out a long time ago..... as many of you should have.

Take a close look at the prints underneath some of Pete's parts. I actually had a very strong hunch even before I caught it in the prints. Some of Pete's earlier pics had the letters M.S.A.R. on some of the parts. Then I used my noggin' to figure it out. It was only confirmed when I saw the prints.

Take a closer look and you will see what I mean.

The Microtech knives web site gave it away to me when I was checking out the Curahee(the intro shows same facility&machines like in pete's pics)
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Not doubting you bones21, just didn't feel qualified to answer SorryOciffer's question (Is this where they are making the parts/rifles?).

Re. UniTech Research, I'd love to elaborate but I can't because I don't know any more than that.

Best Regards,

Justin
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I just wanted to know if they had produced any firearms in the past.

They make knifes...OK, but other than that do we know anything else about MSAR?

Do they have a website for their firearms?  Their website for the knives shows the factor floor, but doesn't mention anything about the STG556.  

Need the Info.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#21]
OK...here is a sweet video of the 1st Royal Australian Regiment Recon Platoon really giving their F88 AUSSteyrs a workout.  

The AUG is really one hell of a rifle:

F88 AUSSTEYR/AKA STEYR AUG
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
OK...here is a sweet video of the 1st Royal Australian Regiment Recon Platoon really giving their F88 AUSSteyrs a workout.  

Neat video, I've never seen an ELCAN on an AUG before
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ok, here is a pic of our production barrels>

Top Barrel is a 16" 6.8mm Remington SPC (14 & 20" 6.8 SPC barrels will also be available) The 6.8mm Remington SPC will only be available as "conversion kits"
2nd Barrel is a 20" .223
3rd Barrel is a 16" .223
4th barrel is a 14" .223  

These pictures are for sharing STG 556 progress info only!!! Nothing is available for sale yet!! Please don't post or inquire for the Mods will LOCK THIS THREAD!!!

All you guys please visit us at the SHOT SHOW in Orlando Next Week
We will have a 10x20 Booth set up in the Law Enforcement Section
Our Booth # is 8646

steyr-aug.com/stg68barrels.jpg

Pete does this mean fluted barrels will be standard?
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

anyone else notice that none of those guys use the front grip folded down? They either held the front trigger gaurd area or used the forward grip in it's folded position?
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

anyone else notice that none of those guys use the front grip folded down? They either held the front trigger gaurd area or used the forward grip in it's folded position?

I noticed that too.  I suppose an unfolded grip would act as a handguard.  Keep up the good work Pete.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I am warming to this rapidly.  I need to hear how it works and how service goes before I commit cash to it though.  Could be a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Just saw ICE with their Steyr AUGs on Lou Dobbs on CNN tonight.  I'll try and look for photos on the website.  It was just a few seconds, but it showed one male ICE agent with an AUG in a tactical sling while arresting an illegal and one female ICE agent carrying the AUG in full view.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2007 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Steyr AUG Fun Fact of the Day:

Did you know that a Steyr AUG with 20 inch barrel is less than two inches longer than an M4 with stock fully collapsed (with stock fully extended, the M4 is actually over one inch longer)?

Link Posted: 1/10/2007 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Please tell me someone is going to post us some pics of the real rifle tommorrow!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Steyr AUG Fun Fact of the Day:

Did you know that a Steyr AUG with 20 inch barrel is less than two inches longer than an M4 with stock fully collapsed (with stock fully extended, the M4 is actually over one inch longer)?

I did know that. LOL....but it always cool to hear that. The beauty of the bullpup rifle.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Steyr AUG Video!

So easy to fire a little girl looks like a pro behind the trigger of the AUG.

Pre-Teen Girl Fires AUG
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Any word on price for just the rifle yet?
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#33]
First post here on the forum...great to be here!

Microtech has never made a firearm prior.  They have been a knife company since 1994 and I have been collecting their knives pretty much from their very beginning.  They recently moved to Bradford from Vero Beach, Fl.  This move was good for them as they were able to obtain a much larger facility than their old one back in Vero.  A whole lot of $$$$ was spent on the machines that line the interior of the new facility.  Without a doubt THE most advanced production knife company out there to date.  The owner, Anthony Marfione, is a master at his blade craft.  He's also quite a gun enthusiast with a good deal of knowledge in this area as well as one who has a VERY impressive collection of firearms.  The STG-556 will be his (along with Pete) very first crack in the firearm industry.  It really looks to be a WINNER and can't wait for them to start shipping!
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
First post here on the forum...great to be here!

Microtech has never made a firearm prior.  They have been a knife company since 1994 and I have been collecting their knives pretty much from their very beginning.  They recently moved to Bradford from Vero Beach, Fl.  This move was good for them as they were able to obtain a much larger facility than their old one back in Vero.  A whole lot of $$$$ was spent on the machines that line the interior of the new facility.  Without a doubt THE most advanced production knife company out there to date.  The owner, Anthony Marfione, is a master at his blade craft.  He's also quite a gun enthusiast with a good deal of knowledge in this area as well as one who has a VERY impressive collection of firearms.  The STG-556 will be his (along with Pete) very first crack in the firearm industry.  It really looks to be a WINNER and can't wait for them to start shipping!

So they ARE making it in BRADFORD? Or making parts there and shipping them to ???? to assemble?

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I've noticed that Pete is going with Flutted Barrels in what I guess is an attempt to save on overall weight, but how will this effect the balance of the American AUG?

Link Posted: 1/11/2007 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I dont know but I really hope someone posts pics soon!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#37]
We need some vids of the rifle.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Pics damnit. Did'nt anyone here got friggin SHOT? Or did Pete show to SHOT?
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've noticed that Pete is going with Flutted Barrels in what I guess is an attempt to save on overall weight, but how will this effect the balance of the American AUG?

I don't think the fluting is going to affect balance much if at all. It will shave a few ounces at most.
Link Posted: 1/13/2007 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Still waiting...
Link Posted: 1/13/2007 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally posted by Ajaka from the Official M.S.A.R. STG 556 Thread

Originally posted by Spade from the Official The 2007 SHOT show thread - GD Section

Pics are from noted SS threads.

What do you guys think about the bolt catch and FA?
Link Posted: 1/13/2007 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
img174.imageshack.us/img174/606/stg556od8.jpg
Originally posted by Ajaka from the Official M.S.A.R. STG 556 Thread

www.xd-hs2000.com/shotshow2007/day2/ssd2p25.jpg
Originally posted by Spade from the Official The 2007 SHOT show thread - GD Section

I don't know; where were the bolt catch and forward assist (charging handle?) on the original design?

If they functioned fine in the original design, then why the need to change it?  Was it just for the sake of changing it?  Or is this new placement more functional?

Link Posted: 1/13/2007 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Will this rifle be capable of left handed operation?
Pete
Link Posted: 1/13/2007 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I don't know; where were the bolt catch and forward assist (charging handle?) on the original design?

If they functioned fine in the original design, then why the need to change it?  Was it just for the sake of changing it?  Or is this new placement more functional?

The AUG does not have a bolt release like the AR15. The bolt will lock to the rear on an empty magazine, and to release it you have to pull back the charging handle. There is no way to manually lock the bolt back except by inserting an empty magazine.

There are two kind of forward assist on the AUG. On older AUGs there is a button on the top of the charging handle that you can push to lock it to the bolt guide rod so it will function as a forward assist. On A2 AUGs and USRs you can do the same by folding the charging handle upwards towards the optics rail.

IMO, the bolt catch is a great addition, the AR-style forward assist is totally unnecessary.

Link Posted: 1/13/2007 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The AUG does not have a bolt release like the AR15. The bolt will lock to the rear on an empty magazine, and to release it you have to pull back the charging handle. There is no way to manually lock the bolt back except by inserting an empty magazine.

There are two kind of forward assist on the AUG. On older AUGs there is a button on the top of the charging handle that you can push to lock it to the bolt guide rod so it will function as a forward assist. On A2 AUGs and USRs you can do the same by folding the charging handle upwards towards the optics rail.

IMO, the bolt catch is a great addition, the AR-style forward assist is totally unnecessary.

Not quite. The bolt WILL lock to the rear with no magazine. Pull to rear and tilt up the handle.

Personally, I think the larger FA is a good idea if it is unobtrusive during firing. The little button arrangement was a compromise at best at a FA, IMO. This FA will be larger and easier to really smack if needed. Better to have it and not need it than....

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...SNIPPED...

Like what the others said the bolt catch is the cocking handle when you pull it back and fold it up and the FA on my A1 models are a small button on the tip of the cocking handle.

I like the new bolt catch because it's closer to the mag loading hand plus the Steyr AUG A3 also have it.

The FA, I won't know until I tried it myself, with both my A1s a 16" with NATO stock and a standard 20" I never used it, I would be interested on what Pete would say what's the reason for it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Not quite. The bolt WILL lock to the rear with no magazine. Pull to rear and tilt up the handle.

Personally, I think the larger FA is a good idea if it is unobtrusive during firing. The little button arrangement was a compromise at best at a FA, IMO. This FA will be larger and easier to really smack if needed. Better to have it and not need it than....

S.O.

You're right, I totally forgot about that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

S.O.

Can I turn this thread into a debate on the uselessness of FA's, or would that be bad?

Never understood the idea. If the round didn't go in, there's probably a reason. Eject it and try again. If your spring didn't get it done, there's a problem and shoving the round in manually might not help.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

Can I turn this thread into a debate on the uselessness of FA's, or would that be bad?

Never understood the idea. If the round didn't go in, there's probably a reason. Eject it and try again. If your spring didn't get it done, there's a problem and shoving the round in manually might not help.

What if there's sand, mud, or water in the chamber, and the bolt will not close under it's own momentum?  In scenarios like these, you'll come to appreciate the ability to ensure that the bolt is fully seated.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
What if there's sand, mud, or water in the chamber, and the bolt will not close under it's own momentum?  In scenarios like these, you'll come to appreciate the ability to ensure that the bolt is fully seated.

+1

Also the clearances between the carrier rails and the inside of the upper receiver on an AR are pretty small. If they get sandy then the friction will slow down the carrier going forward especially when charging the weapon or sending the bolt home on a fresh mag. It's not such a big deal when actually firing.

Spend some quality time with the M16 in a place with fine powdery sand like Iraq or Afghanistan and you'll come to appreciate the forward assist.

Now that said the AUG already has a forward assist so I'm not sure why the AR one is there on the MSAR version.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top