Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2023 12:42:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94]
Seems like Diz intimated in the IS vs SOMO thread that the old "Airsoft lasers" thread isn't coming back, but a SOMO-15 thread might be kosher, so long as we leave the NGAL talk out of it. Feel free to add info on what's worked, what hasn't, and any changes in units noticed since these started coming in.

I have two SOMO-15s, both potted with green viz lasers, with SNs 721XXX and 737XXX. Each has survived a few hundred rounds of 5.56 or 5.45 while using them at the 3 o'clock on SLR rail equipped AKs. I've detected no zero shift when repeatedly checking the converging zero to a railed top cover or RSR side rail mounted RDS. Neither would keep the SOMO tape switch plug in place under recoil, but swapping in a legit ModButton Lite has worked for 60rds on the PSA AK101. The AXON single lead switch on the 5.45 rifle has not been shot since swapping it in for the SOMO switch, but it feels far more secure when putting it into the back of the SOMO-15 and I'm not expecting any issues.

I'm planning to use the one on the PSA AK101 (SN 721XXX) at a night match this Saturday with review to follow. This will be more dynamic than the bipod prone or flat range up drills it's endured so far, so we'll see how it does.

ETA: @Diz, please nuke if I misunderstood you in the other thread.

ETA2 for pic. I've added an M640DF riding next to the ModButton up top just incase the SOMO-15 shits the bed during the match and I need to run the T-2 under white light

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 2:13:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Diz:
I THINK this is kosher, as long as we contain it to the PEQ-15, which is presumably off-patent, and therefore fair game for improved versions.

But for sure the NGAL is NOT, so let's go over to the airsoft/mil-sim forum for any Chinese airsoft replicas of those.

I would argue there is enough difference between a civilian legal ATPIAL and a SG PEQ-15 to pass the non-infringement test, if there was still some concern in this regard.  First of all the ATPIAL has been nerfed.  It only has low power IR and illum.  The SG has both low and high power.  So the selector knobs (and housing) are different.  Then the ATPIAL illum is fixed.  The SG illum is adjustable.  The ATPIAL has a diffuser cover.  The SG has only a cover.  The ATPIAL has flush-mounted screw adjustment for both IR and illum.  The SG has flush mounted IR adjustment, and raised drum illum adjustment.  The ATPIAL has a different data plate surface etched into the housing.  The ATPIAL comes in red viz laser only.  The SG comes in red or green.  The ATPIAL is not potted (at least the std models).  The SG is potted (for an extra charge).  The safety screw storage area is on top of the housing on the SG.  It is on the side of the ATPIAL.  And, obviously(?) the internals are different.  The "mother board", if they say that anymore, has to be totally different.  The laser modules must be different.  The spring adjusters for zero are different.  

What is the same.  Well, the housings are very close, with the difference in the well for the selector knob being different to house more choices on the SG.  The illum lens is very similar although the SG one is larger. The viz/IR laser cover is very similar, except the SG one is opaque for both.  The mount is very similar.  Although the SG one is slightly lighter.

There are virtually no interchangeable parts, although the ATPIAL/PEQ-15 illum diffuser cover is highly desirable (even if it is slightly smaller).  And perhaps the viz/IR laser one as well, to get the pass-through on one, if required.

The biggest similarity would be the "form factor" if you will.  It lays down low on the rail, and looks like an original PEQ-15.  But it's not.  There are many subtle differences.  Perhaps if they changed the name to SG-15, it would be even better.  And put a Somo Gear logo on it, for everyone to see.

I am not a patent lawyer.  My thoughts are merely my opinions.  Therefore, if anyone has more accurate information, please share.  

This is plainly marketed as an airsoft toy.  Says so on their website and on their packaging.  So according the mfg, these are not for real steel.  With that being said what you do with it, is your own business.
View Quote

The legit illum and laser covers will work on a SOMO-15. I swapped the SOMO covers to the L3 diffusers a month ago without issue.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Total side note, but I'm seeing all the ("CHINA") labels on post titles. Are we considering Hong Kong to be "CHINA"?

If I understand correctly, Somogear is in Hong Kong. Is it actually a Chinese company?

Sure, Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region under a heavy PRC thumb, but HK has its own currency, passport/immigration/export laws, and a legal system different than China's. More like British common law and is considered more free.

(Also, there's a ton of great Portuguese egg tart bakeries worth checking out there in the "airsoft district" where all the toy gun places are.)

Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kel:
Total side note, but I'm seeing all the ("CHINA") labels on post titles. Are we considering Hong Kong to be "CHINA"?

If I understand correctly, Somogear is in Hong Kong. Is it actually a Chinese company?

Sure, Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region under a heavy PRC thumb, but HK has its own currency, passport/immigration/export laws, and a legal system different than China's. More like British common law and is considered more free.

(Also, there's a ton of great Portuguese egg tart bakeries worth checking out there in the "airsoft district" where all the toy gun places are.)

Just curious.
View Quote

Not too long ago, I would have agreed with you but they're effectively China now unfortunately. There's not even protests anymore as they all got locked up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:02:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:55:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#7]
The SOMO-15 on my 5.56 AK performed well at the night match on Sat/Sun over the 200+ rounds I fired. No apparent loss of zero even after banging it on a VTAC and the ground while getting into some funky positions.

I loaned another SOMO-15 to a buddy who used it on a 300BO AR slinging 220gr sub handloads.

The only issue we both encountered was the slight flicker caused by the battery moving under recoil and breaking the circuit.

Did someone in the other thread(s) identify a solution to this? I have the battery cap snug, but don't want to torque on it anymore as I feel it's plenty secure and don't want to go ripping anything up.

ETA: and the legit ModButton Lite remote switches had no issues with backing out like the SOMO switches have done in the past.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Weren't people using o-rings somehow to tighten things up in battery compartment? Something to look into.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By erwos:
Weren't people using o-rings somehow to tighten things up in battery compartment? Something to look into.
View Quote

I thought so, but couldn't remember the specs or where folks had sourced the correct o-rings from.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]
What a sad state of affairs that U.S. civilians are relegated to either paying over $3K for a laser, going with essentially useless civilian versions, or having to look at stuff made in some back ally shop in Hong Kong.

Sorry, not a very productive post, but good Lord.  I am not happy about the EOTech OGL MSRP listing and the comments by some prominent YT'ers about the QC of the USNV Designate IR-V has me less than happy.  I don't know how anyone could buy a Somogear and have any confidence in it whatsoever. Cheap? Perhaps relatively speaking, but it's still hundreds of bucks for something that essentially could just end up a paper weight.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
What a sad state of affairs that U.S. civilians are relegated to either paying over $3K for a laser, going with essentially useless civilian versions, or having to look at stuff made in some back ally shop in Hong Kong.

Sorry, not a very productive post, but good Lord.  I am not happy about the EOTech OGL MSRP listing and the comments by some prominent YT'ers about the QC of the USNV Designate IR-V has me less than happy.  I don't know how anyone could buy a Somogear and have any confidence in it whatsoever. Cheap? Perhaps relatively speaking, but it's still hundreds of bucks for something that essentially could just end up a paper weight.

View Quote

You aren't wrong in the least. Even though NV itself is decades old, i know its a far more difficult product to make, compared to a LAM.  The lasers (even full power) are old news, and there is no, 0, zip, nadda excuse for an IR laser to be over $3k, when other "regular" red lasers (rated for full shooting abuse) cost $150-400 (and the china models with equally good IR laser also costs $250).
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got 4 of those paperweights and they all work pretty good so far.  But to each his own.
View Quote

Diz, any issues with your SOMO-15s cutting out for a second under recoil? If so, how’d you fix it/them?

I swear someone put a solution in the old thread
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully after this weekend I can add my opinions. I've had my SN-8xxxxxx whatever unit for two weeks now and haven't fired a shot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#16]
You I had one early one (like almost two years ago now) that had that issue, but just adjusting out the spring took care of it.  The others have been just fine.
View Quote

You literally just "pulled the spring to make it a little longer" and you're good to go now, haha?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been very happy with my Somos across my 5.56, .300 BLK, and .22LR rifles. The adjustment detents could be tighter, but so far so good.

I'd really like them to take a swing at a version of the PEQ-16 with an IR illuminator and a not-terrible white light. There's a lot of smaller guns that would benefit from an all-in-one solution like that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been shooting with my some on an x95 for months now. Its holding up and hasn't lost zero.

Last night I took some shots with the Somo next to a real Peq-15, illuminator only, set to high.
Can you tell which is which?

Attachment Attached File

In case my cell phone gives insufficient clarity, I couldn't tell them apart when I was looking through the PVS-14.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By erwos:
I'd really like them to take a swing at a version of the PEQ-16 with an IR illuminator and a not-terrible white light. There's a lot of smaller guns that would benefit from an all-in-one solution like that.
View Quote

Looking at their primary market (airsoft), I don't think they would make much off a fully functioning PEQ-16B.

Most firearms owners would probably be better off buying the Streamlight TLR-VIR II and VWS focusing lens.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 3:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9mm-SMG] [#20]
#towerofpower94  Buddy here ...

The borrowed Somogear-15 worked well for me, and based off my experience during that night shoot

I ordered one for myself the next day

Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
The SOMO-15 on my 5.56 AK performed well at the night match on Sat/Sun over the 200+ rounds I fired. No apparent loss of zero even after banging it on a VTAC and the ground while getting into some funky positions.

I loaned another SOMO-15 to a buddy who used it on a 300BO AR slinging 220gr sub handloads.

The only issue we both encountered was the slight flicker caused by the battery moving under recoil and breaking the circuit.

Did someone in the other thread(s) identify a solution to this? I have the battery cap snug, but don't want to torque on it anymore as I feel it's plenty secure and don't want to go ripping anything up.

ETA: and the legit ModButton Lite remote switches had no issues with backing out like the SOMO switches have done in the past.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 9mm-SMG:

The borrowed Somogear-15 worked well for me, and based off my experience during that night shoot

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 9mm-SMG:

Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Hey, nice to see you’re on ARF! Please add any observations you had from the evening that I may have missed.

I certainly wouldn’t go back to IZ with a SOMO-15, but for getting more rifles set up for active night shooting I think they’re a good deal.

That recoil flicker is annoying though, as it makes your double tap for constant on die after the first shot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I have yet to see a video review with evidence of one holding up well.  Other than a few random unknown YouTubers who come on, sit in their living room, and maybe flash a few videos into their edits I'm not really seeing anything good in terms of reviews coming out.  I'm not seeing these hold up to a set number of rounds to show zero holding over time.  The good videos I have seen with this show that eventually the zero shifts.   I haven't seen a video yet that says the co-alignment of the viz and IR are holding up to the 10 cm at 50 yards (or is it 25 yards) claim.  

These things are for airsoft or maybe .22LR copies as far as I can tell. However, in terms of airsoft it's not great that you've got individuals running around airsoft events with IR lasers made in China especially when those lasers are capable of going full power.   I've been saying for years that some kind of safety standard needs to be implemented at airsoft events regarding lasers.  In terms of even having it on a .22LR I suppose it gives you that weight and space take up for training, but in terms of practical use at night "eh, depends if you're lucky and get a good unit."  

I'm not even close to convinced these things are worth the limited cash they are going for right now.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I have yet to see a video review with evidence of one holding up well.  Other than a few random unknown YouTubers who come on, sit in their living room, and maybe flash a few videos into their edits I'm not really seeing anything good in terms of reviews coming out.  I'm not seeing these hold up to a set number of rounds to show zero holding over time.  The good videos I have seen with this show that eventually the zero shifts.   I haven't seen a video yet that says the co-alignment of the viz and IR are holding up to the 10 cm at 50 yards (or is it 25 yards) claim.  

These things are for airsoft or maybe .22LR copies as far as I can tell. However, in terms of airsoft it's not great that you've got individuals running around airsoft events with IR lasers made in China especially when those lasers are capable of going full power.   I've been saying for years that some kind of safety standard needs to be implemented at airsoft events regarding lasers.  In terms of even having it on a .22LR I suppose it gives you that weight and space take up for training, but in terms of practical use at night "eh, depends if you're lucky and get a good unit."  

I'm not even close to convinced these things are worth the limited cash they are going for right now.  

View Quote
Ok. Well, I don't have a video, but I've got 500-ish rounds through an X95 with one on it. It's holding zero. It may not continue to in perpetuity, but I'm side by siding it with a real Peq. So we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

I've noticed the disclaimers on SG website stating it's for airsoft only.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

Yep, and if the two SOMO-15s I owned sucked on actual firearms I wouldn’t pester the manufacturer for warranty support. I bought a couple out of curiosity and to see how they compare to my PERST units and PEQ-3. I’ve been pleasantly surprised up to this point, aside from the recoil induced flicker.

Hoping the person who found the proper sized O-ring to add some shock absorption to the battery in the old thread chimes in again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Used to be a believer in Somogear, but have now had 3 lasers from them fail. They were all potted and varied in MfG dates from last year to about 8 months ago. They failed on the following:

10.5” suppressed 556 at about 1200rds
P320 full size in a flux raider at about 800rds
15-22 at about 4000rds

The 9mm broke the housing near the mount and battery cap. The other two rattled loose internally somewhere and haven’t opened them up to see where. 1 of those will sometimes go on for a second if you hit the unit with your hand and click the button but will shut off again as soon as you shoot a few rounds.

Somogear has a 180 day warranty, so not like you can do much about it either. In my opinion, not worth the hassle. As advertised, they’re for airsoft and should probably stay there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I put the SOMO-15 that I lent to a buddy for use on his 300BO AR a few weeks ago on a PSA KS-47 rifle and zeroed the viz laser to the POA of my ACOG at 100yds. Only fired 20rds of 123gr Wolf 7.62x39 once it was zeroed, but there did not appear to be any zero shift. At this point it has taken some "more than 5.56" recoil between my buddy's 220gr subs and my 123gr 7.62x39 and seems to have held zero. Planning to use the KS-47 in a day/night match in early Nov to see how it does over a few hundred rounds in 12 stages of match use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top