Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2023 3:14:38 PM EDT
I am installing my Tech Sights Rail Aperture Sights Set (TSR200RL). I had the barrel in my vice and tapped the sights out in the wrong direction. I tapped out the front/rear factory sights from Right to Left. I just read that the proper method to tap them out is from Left to Right due to a slight taper Ruger puts into the dovetail. When I was tapping them out I didn't feel too much resistance so I proceeded with just tapping them out.

So at this point, did I just destroy the dovetail grooves? TIA.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If there iis so little taper that you could tap them out the wrong way, I doubt you did any serious damage.  How does the new sight fit?
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Not all dovetails are directional.  If it came out easy enough, you didn't do any damage.  But typically, a good habit is to remove dovetailed items to the left and install to the right (as you are behind the gun, like you were shooting it).
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 7:52:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seattle206] [#3]
The Tech Sights are amazing, haven't shot it yet but the sight picture/radius and overall aesthetics is much better than what the factory irons offered.

The installation was a breeze.  After I zero these sights in I might throw the Bushnell RDS in the future.

Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:20:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#4]
You can always shim the dovetail, aluminum foil, lead foil or something similar if you want to use the factory dovetail
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckMan123] [#5]
The Tech Sights Rail Aperture Sights Set (TSR200RL) front sight is held in by a screw that expands in the dovetail to hold it in place. So there is no need to worry about damage of enlarging the dovetail on your barrel. For your rear sight dovetail, tape it off, mix up some JB weld and fill it in. It smooths out the area and can be easily removed if you don't like it later. I did it on 2 10/22 TD that I installed Tech sight on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]
While you’re at it, fill that dovetail with a blank. The Williams version is my favorite as it has a set screw that makes installation easy. Those dovetail edges are sharp and can be hazardous.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Seattle206:
The Tech Sights are amazing, haven't shot it yet but the sight picture/radius and overall aesthetics is much better than what the factory irons offered.

The installation was a breeze.  After I zero these sights in I might throw the Bushnell RDS in the future.

https://i.imgur.com/Im4pdyd.jpg
View Quote

I like Samson sightsAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
You can easily tighten a dovetail by tapping the midpoint down with a punch.

Then the installed front sight covers it up.
View Quote

And you know what would be a nice sight to install in the tightened dovetail?
Nodak spud sights. If only they were available.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Rocketfish:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

+1
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

+1

Another +1
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckMan123] [#13]
Tape off the area around the dovetail and fill it in with JB Weld. Keeps the area clean of overfill and easier cleanup. I did it on both of my 10/22 TD that now have Tech Sites.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top