Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2024 8:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MtnRoamer]
Just got my first 22 can approved (Rugged Oculus) but don't have any hosts for it and am not sure which way to go...

Currently looking at two options:

- The Ruger 31172 10/22 that comes with a Hogue stock and upgraded trigger.

- Or a dedicated AR22 upper.  I have SBR'd lowers and plenty of other spare parts laying around so I think I would just need the 22 bolt kit, mags, and a 22 barrel to finish out a dedicated upper.  A 9.2" barrel + suppressor and a Corv2 handguard would mimic my everyday rifle pretty closely.

This would be mostly used for plinking around the farm and some small rodent control which has me leaning towards the AR upper since it seems easier to set up for NVG / thermal shenanigans.

Would love to hear y'all's opinions though and any other options I may be missing as I am pretty new to the 22 world.

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 8:34:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deerranger] [#1]
I have a assortment of 10/22's in the safe with different configurations, cool furniture,  bull barrels, various optics BUT none of them have left the safe since I bought my Tippman,  with a Mask on the end it is just such a well balanced, eat any ammo fun machine to shoot. Treat yourself to something you will enjoy shooting for life.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a 9” AR22 upper from RTB and it’s been great. BDM and CMMG mags work great also. Every 10/22 I get I end up selling because I can’t get a good cheek weld on them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I would start with a dedicated AR upper since you already have a stamp for the lower.

A bolt gun would be on my short list.  They are ridiculously quiet with subs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:40:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I use a 9” AR22 upper from RTB and it’s been great. BDM and CMMG mags work great also. Every 10/22 I get I end up selling because I can’t get a good cheek weld on them.
View Quote

Next time you get one try a KRG Bravo stock.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:38:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a wide variety of rifles including AR’s. Every tool has its purpose. When I go rodent hunting I love my dedicated 22’s and 17HMR. They are all bolt actions except for  two 10/22’s. You can modify them to your liking as well with all sorts of stocks and such.
KeithStone was correct in stating that a bolt action 22 is ridiculously quiet with subsonic camo and a suppressor. I do enjoy my 1022 suppressed when shooting Rats with a thermal though. Sometimes it’s nice just having a sleek, smooth, old-fashioned rifle, rather than the big clunky AR. I’ve had this 10/22 for around 45 years.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 4:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Oculus owner here.

My 10/22 currently looks very similar to the one you're looking at, and that style 10/22 with a silencer just looks right.

That being said, I think I enjoy shooting my S&W 15/22's more when suppressed as compared to my 10/22's.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Really can't beat a bolt gun for accurate and stealthy dispatch of rodents. Christensen Ranger and AB Little Bird is a super light combo that works well for me

But a light 10/22 suppressed is a lot of fun for plinking. No end to the options available for a 10/22.

Really you can never have too many 22's. And suppressed subsonic 22LR is the most fun you can have with your pants on. So get them all.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't really comment about your intended purposes, but Keystone Accuracy makes a mighty nice .22LR conversion. I use mine for smallbore competition during the winter.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#9]
A 10/22 is an awesome 22.

A 22lr chambered ar15 is a great traner. It's heavier, mags are heavier, mages are bulkier etc etc than an optimized 22lr like the 10/22
If you have sbr lowers etc a 22 ar starts to make sense.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:09:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#10]
I’d get a 22 LR AR as mine are actually more reliable than my 70’s era 10/22.   There are so many sources for AR-15 parts and accessories it truely is America’s rifle but the 10/22 might be second.   If you want accuracy look at Beyer Barrels.   PSA had a CMMG pattern bolt for $99.

PSA 22 LR bolt link.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-22-lr-bolt-carrier-group-stainless-steel.html

Beyer Barrels link

http://beyerbarrels.com/barrels/ar15_barrels

Right to Bear have the Tippman 22 LR in stock plus barrels and other parts to assemble an upper to match your desire.

https://www.righttobear.com/22lr-parts-upgrades-accessories/

I was considering building a new upper but I could buy a complete upper from RTB cheaper than I could assemble one myself.  This has turned out to be a really nice 22 LR AR-15.

My latest dedicated 22 LR AR-15, Right to Bear upper with CMMG SS bolt.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#11]
For 22lr rifles my preference is

10/22

CZ bolt

AR

My Ruger Custom Competition is the most accurate

My CZ bolt gun is nearly as accurate and is the quietest

My 22lr is fun but it is not as accurate or as quiet. Only shoot it when quantity of rounds fired is my objective.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecondAmend] [#12]
No need to limit yourself to a single firearm.  I have a .22 silencer that I swap between an AR .22 upper, a Ruger 10/22, a Colt Woodsman pistol, and a Mossberg 464 .22 lever rifle.  I use the Griffin Armament CAM-LOK quick disconnect mounting system.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Appreciate all of the responses and info.

A bolt gun and pistol 22 are definitely on the list but just trying to get the rifle set up first.

Currently thinking:

- BoreBuddy Quiet Bolt.  Are these worth it over the $100 CMMG?  Everything I have seen about them is positive and I would rather just spend the money upfront instead of replacing parts down the line.

- 9"-12" barrel to work with my handguard setup.  Unfortunately doesn't seem like there are a ton of options in this range.  Looks like CMMG and RTB both have 9s, but have seen varying reports on their accuracy.  Beyers and BoreBuddy both get great reviews but only BB currently offers a 12".  And at $275 it is a bit more than the rest.  Keystone looks nice too but well above what I'm currently looking to spend on a 22 barrel.  Am I missing any options here?

@deerranger

Anything in particular about the Tippmanns that you like more than a dedicated upper setup?  They look like an awesome option but the fact that they don't work on standard lowers kind of turned me off of them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MtnRoamer:
Appreciate all of the responses and info.

A bolt gun and pistol 22 are definitely on the list but just trying to get the rifle set up first.

Currently thinking:

- BoreBuddy Quiet Bolt.  Are these worth it over the $100 CMMG?  Everything I have seen about them is positive and I would rather just spend the money upfront instead of replacing parts down the line.

- 9"-12" barrel to work with my handguard setup.  Unfortunately doesn't seem like there are a ton of options in this range.  Looks like CMMG and RTB both have 9s, but have seen varying reports on their accuracy.  Beyers and BoreBuddy both get great reviews but only BB currently offers a 12".  And at $275 it is a bit more than the rest.  Keystone looks nice too but well above what I'm currently looking to spend on a 22 barrel.  Am I missing any options here?

@deerranger

Anything in particular about the Tippmanns that you like more than a dedicated upper setup?  They look like an awesome option but the fact that they don't work on standard lowers kind of turned me off of them.
View Quote

The feel and balance just feels correct, proportional.
Nothing wrong with a .22 upper for your AR but it feels like the hardware does not match the caliper, over built and unnecessary. If you could send a few rounds downrange you would quickly know what I mean. The S&W 22 ar22's are decent piece's for much less money but mine does not eat any and all ammo including subs like the Tippman.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Whatever you choose, make sure it’s accurate.

Only accurate .22’s are interesting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

View Quote

Agree 100% with limited energy it best be accurate ( shot placement trumps EVERYTHING)

If you have an sbr registered lower a short barrel 22 conversion makes sense.

Dedicated 22 uppers tend to work better and are far more accurate than bolt only conversion kits.

I would set a long term goal of a dedicated 2# rimfire sbr upper, a dedicated ruger 10/22 platform ,and a MINIMUM of one bolt action
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 10/22 that hasn't been out of the safe in a few years since I got a CMMG 22 conversion kit for an AR upper.  That then got replaced by a dedicated upper with 9in barrel I used on an SBR lower.  I bought a Rugged Oculus as well for it, but it didn't really get me that excited after shooting it awhile.

Ended up buying a Ruger American Rimfire bolt action (uses same mags as the 10/22) and putting the Oculus on it instead.  Bolt action is much more enjoyable if you are looking for a really quiet gun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Check out the 9" Nordic Components dedicated AR upper.  Midway has them, Nordic Components, or even Taccom3G.com
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:38:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Beyer Barrels.  Call him, he answers his phone.  I emailed him last week about a 12.5" ar22 barrel.  He replied with 'Call Me' - 350 360 1497 .  Same number on his web site.  Called him, and he walked me through what I needed.  Ordered right then and there.  Asked his waiting/lead time...  He said I might make your barrel tonight or tomorrow.  And send it to me this week.  He doesn't go to the PO every day!  A craftsman and a Gentleman.

His barrel reviews are all positive too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd start with a short dedicated upper.

I have a dedicated upper (with red dot), a RAR (decent glass and some trigger work), and a 10/22 target (bull barrel, weighted stock, decent glass, and some trigger work).  All have their purpose.  If I want to shoot tiny groups, I grab the 10/22.  If I want to shoot small (slightly larger than tiny) groups with bolt action goodness, I grab the RAR.  If I want to shoot small to medium groups really fast, I grab the dedicated upper (It's actually a complete AR, but all of my uppers/lowers are compatible and will function fine in any combination).

I do not have a can yet. I want one (or more) though. I should probably get on that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#22]
As stated above, the Nordic Components upper is worth a look.  Reliable, no buffer and spring needed.  I use Black Dog Machine mags.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I vote AR.
I have several Ruger rimfires, some were great right out of the box, some needed a lot of upgrades.
If you're looking for a project, Rugers are a lot of fun.
But building an AR rimfire upper or buying a quality build is easier.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all of the replies and insights. Had narrowed it down to either the 11" Tippmann and swapping handguards or going with a custom BoreBuddy upper build.

Given the lower situation and after talking with the owner of BB a little I decided on going with the BB bolt with their tunable weights with a 12" Apogee barrel. Just waiting for him to restock now.

I'll post up some pics once I get it all put together.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Got everything put together. Running great on milspec trigger groups but having some major issues with resetting the hammer on the Wilson Combat TTUs that I run in just about everything. Hoping to get that figured out...

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Got everything put together. Running great on milspec trigger groups but having some major issues with resetting the hammer on the Wilson Combat TTUs that I run in just about everything. Hoping to get that figured out...

https://i.imgur.com/74TWbBK.jpeg

View Quote

Funny, I was wondering how the 12" BoreBuddy barrel would look with the spare COR v1 handguard I've got laying around. And now I'm thinking about moving my red dot to the rear ring instead of the front, might allow me to shift the scope to a slightly better position
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:

Funny, I was wondering how the 12" BoreBuddy barrel would look with the spare COR v1 handguard I've got laying around. And now I'm thinking about moving my red dot to the rear ring instead of the front, might allow me to shift the scope to a slightly better position
View Quote

Nice to see someone else that appreciates the COR handguards. Unfortunately I feel like no one even knew they existed and Cloud stopped production before they got popular.

No issues on my end running the dot there. Not sure why the front ring became the common place for piggybacking...
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:46:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#28]
Ruger 10/22 Integral
Ruger American .22 Integral
15/22 Integral
AR15 Dedicated .22 w/ DA Mask

The AR on bottom was my first and is 15 plus years old. I say I built it for the kids, but I enjoy it a ton.
The 15-22 is light and quiet.
The Ruger American bolt gun is stupid quiet.
The Ruger 10/22 is quiet except for the bolt.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:03:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Erik72] [#29]

https://i.imgur.com/74TWbBK.jpeg

View Quote

Nice!  Thanks for the follow-up.  Many times we see these build inquiries but don't get to see how it turned out.  I think you're going to be well pleased with the Borebuddy Stuff.  You'll have to tinker with the weights.  Is it resetting the trigger without the weight installed?  Make sure to try it without the weight.  If it's still not resetting, you may need a lighter hammer spring....or hotter ammo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Erik72:

Nice!  Thanks for the follow-up.  Many times we see these build inquiries but don't get to see how it turned out.  I think you're going to be well pleased with the Borebuddy Stuff.  You'll have to tinker with the weights.  Is it resetting the trigger without the weight installed?  Make sure to try it without the weight.  If it's still not resetting, you may need a lighter hammer spring....or hotter ammo.
View Quote

Thanks!

The only time I could get it to intermittently reset the TTU was to use the lightest weights and springs along with removing the rubber buffer which isn't really a viable solution, I didn't try removing the weight completely.  For reference, the milspec trigger runs great on the heaviest weights and spring combo.

From other reading it seems like the TTU triggers in general don't play well with 22 setups so I've got a MBT-2S on order to try out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:16:34 AM EDT
[#31]
My AR-22's with dedicated barrels (or not) are far more reliable than my 10-22's, even in full auto.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I never messed around with the 22 conversion kits myself, a lot of people like them though. It might make sense in your situation but I'd probably go the dedicated upper route too for accuracy/reliability reasons. But if you decide to go the 10/22 route, definitely SBR it too, they are too much fun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Update

Got the LaRue MBT-2S installed and everything is running flawlessly now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#34]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I use a 9" AR22 upper from RTB and it's been great. BDM and CMMG mags work great also. Every 10/22 I get I end up selling because I can't get a good cheek weld on them.
View Quote
This/same. Using a Sparrow silencer. Really like this setup. Probably getting a Beyer barrel.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Thanks!

The only time I could get it to intermittently reset the TTU was to use the lightest weights and springs along with removing the rubber buffer which isn't really a viable solution, I didn't try removing the weight completely.  For reference, the milspec trigger runs great on the heaviest weights and spring combo.

From other reading it seems like the TTU triggers in general don't play well with 22 setups so I've got a MBT-2S on order to try out.
View Quote
I run a MBT-2S on mine without problems.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Check out RTB-- righttobear.com, they have some decent deals on 22lr barrels 22lr bolts ect. Dedicated 22lr upper is the way to go!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:08:44 AM EDT
[#37]
4.5" cmmg always suppressedAttachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top