Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2024 1:55:39 AM EDT
What would you put on a .357 1894?

Main purpose will be teaching my sons to shoot a centerfire rifle as they graduate from their .22 pumps. Just a fun shooter that will always go to the range, likely never hunt or do real work.

Thinking XS rail with ghost rings to start and maybe a micro prism or 1-4 power scope. However the classic Skinner sights look, well…classic.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 2:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Red dot, Sig Romeo5 or Holosun 407c probably.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The factory sights are fine for learning on. I do like the ghost rings better if I have to use irons. If you are just going red dot you can do a simple rail and save a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ranger Point Precision rear peep sights:   https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-henry-rifle-peep-sights

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve got a 357 dark with the xs sights and rail.  The xs peep sights are nice, but the peep is too large diameter if your main goal is accuracy at longer ranges.  It’s a challenge to hit a paper plate at 100 yards unsupported.  If supported it’s not a big deal but you need to be diligent in aiming due to the large peep diameter.  I think somebody makes inserts for xs peep sights that reduce the diameter?  

If you’re teaching kids I would stick with plain notch and post sights until they get good at that first.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I’d leave the stock sights.

I tried an XS set on a 336 and the rear aperture was waybtoo big to be any kind of an effective sight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Are the XS ghost rings threaded to take a William's aperture?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:
Are the XS ghost rings threaded to take a William's aperture?
View Quote

They offer, or did, a threaded aperture. I don't know if it will accept Williams.

I need to buy one for my 336.
I have the whole scout setup on mine. But I have the ap screwed all the way down and it's not really zeroed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:08:23 AM EDT
[#8]
The XS sights are quite good fast work. My 1894CSS has the XS rail and I have a Burris 2x scout scope with QD rings. All the kids like to shoot it, one of their favorites.

Next is getting in threaded for suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
The factory sights are fine for learning. I do like the ghost rings better .
View Quote

I couldn't agree more, the factory sights are great. I do like the bullseye (ghost ring) sights that marble makes. They're great for my old eyes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Running the rail on my 45-70 and I like it.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Put a proper receiver sight on it like the Lyman 66A or a Williams 5D or FP-94.  Both offer the option to put adjustable or different sized apertures in them and both function as a ghost ring sight with no aperture installed. They can also be had in finger adjustable or lower profile coin adjustable models.

Gimmicky crap like that XS rail and ghost ring sight combination isn’t what you want, especially to teach a kid how to shoot with iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a traditional Front Sight type XS tritium bead on my 94 big bore with the factory rear sight and it is phenomenal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:28:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#13]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:
Put a proper receiver sight on it like the Lyman 66A or a Williams 5D or FP-94.  Both offer the option to put adjustable or different sized apertures in them and both function as a ghost ring sight with no aperture installed. They can also be had in finger adjustable or lower profile coin adjustable models.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/FullSizeRender(2).jpg?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds

[snip]
View Quote
I have that one on my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun.  I despise it.  

I need to get motivated to get rid of it and replace it with some RPP rear sights.  Then I'll give that fucking POS away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top