Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2024 1:06:37 PM EDT
I've been looking for an 03A3 for a few months now.  Trying to find find something that hasn't been molested / bubba'd and / or faked.  Looking for a "correct rifle" but I'm fine with an arsenal rebuild.

I'm looking at the below pictured Smith Corona rifle but the scant stock with the FJA,  cross cannon cartouches and non circled P have my spidey senses going off.  There is a faint OG stamp (non boxed) on the left side.  There are no inspector marks in front of the trigger guard.

My understanding is that 03a3 original stocks were all S (straight) type and had the FJA and Cross Cannon acceptance mark.  Scant stocks were arsenal rebuilds but I've never seen one with the FJA and cross cannons.  I'm also not finding any info on a non circled P firing proof.  I'm definitely not an expert by any means.  Hoping to get some opinions on this from more experienced collectors.

Is the below scant stock a real arsenal rebuild (with the FJA, cross cannons and non circled P) or is this a faked stock?  Is there anything else about the rifle that seems questionable?

Not linking to the online ad as I'm not trying to burn the seller.  Sorry about the fuzzy pictures.  Thank you for any input.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Far from an expert here but it's a Smith Corona' Perhaps a bit more value than a Springfield and around here certainly harder to find.

I do not own this rifle any longer but if memory serves me correctly it did have similar arsenal stamps.

Part of the lust for C&R is one can always keep an eye out for components to upgrade. My input is to snap it up and worry about being "correct" as you shoot and enjoy the rifle.

This particular rifle called to me and served my needs very well for years. It was fitted with a Timmney trigger and was an absolute lazer with the post reticle Weaver.  Good luck OP just my .02  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:42:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tangeant] [#2]
FJA and ord wheel are Fake.

Rifle is a postwar OG Ogden rebuild. Hard to tell from pic if OG is as sharp and fresh as P

It's still worth $800 + ish in the crazy 03 market. If you want a shooter don't worry about fake stamps other than not paying a premium for them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tangeant:
FJA and ord wheel are Fake.

Rifle is a postwar OG Ogden rebuild. Hard to tell from pic if OG is as sharp and fresh as P

It's still worth $800 + ish in the crazy 03 market. If you want a shooter don't worry about fake stamps other than not paying a premium for them.
View Quote

The OG is faint compared to the crisp P.  The P being so crisp is what originally made me start looking at everything closely.  They're asking way more than $800 for it.  Guess listening to my gut was a good thing. Thank you for your input and I'll keep looking.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
As others have said, the FJA, ordnance and P are fake.  It does have a S&C trigger guard.  The striker shroud is a S&C.  Not enough info to tell if the bolt is S&C.  The lower barrel band is a 1903.  

Looks in decent shape for a shooter.  Does not command any sort of collectors premium.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:39:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pepe-lepew] [#5]
It has a SC trigger guard and a 1903 milled lower band. I agree, it is about a $800 rifle if there was nothing really wrong with it.

I have seen two pristine all original Remingtons that were hardly used or unused with the OG stamp for $900 locally. One the guy dragged his to about three shows and advertised it on the local forum for awhile before it sold. Similar rifles were selling on Gunbroker for $1300 or more a couple years ago.

Keep your eye out for a OG marked original.  There was a lot of unused rifles that went through there and later sold as surplus. The bolts will typically have most the blueing on the circumference of the body and handle, it is one of the obvoius indications of how much use a 1903a3 has had.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to shit on your parade, but you've got a mix match of parts (which isn't bad) but the stock cartouches are fake and folks usually pay more for ones that are original and visible.
You need to find out the barrels' TE (Throat Erosion) and MW (Muzzle Wear). And actual pic of the measurements
I'd agree on the $800 and here is why I say that.
The 03 in this pic was $750 a year ago
The 17 Eddystone was $850 about 6 months ago
The H&R Garand was a Service Grade from CMP $850 two years ago
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#7]
You need a picture on the left side with the magazine cutoff lever in the “OFF” position. The current picture has it in the “ON” position…. Look closely at the receiver where the lever is currently covering for signs of pitting, weld marks, uneven filing, etc…. This area should have a smooth machined finish.

Decommissioned drill rifles had the magazine cutoff levers welded in the ON position along with spot welds in other areas. The area identified is the hardest area to hide when trying to spot a converted drill rifle.

Some people are OK with owning a converted drill rifle, in fact I own one however it’s better for a buyer to know upfront as this negatively affects the overall value.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:49:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GRENDEL87] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tspike:
Not to shit on your parade, but you've got a mix match of parts (which isn't bad) but the stock cartouches are fake and folks usually pay more for ones that are original and visible.
You need to find out the barrels' TE (Throat Erosion) and MW (Muzzle Wear). And actual pic of the measurements
I'd agree on the $800 and here is why I say that.
The 03 in this pic was $750 a year ago
The 17 Eddystone was $850 about 6 months ago
The H&R Garand was a Service Grade from CMP $850 two years ago
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4164/IMG_1521_jpg-3115304.JPG
View Quote

Awesome collection.  No parade to shit on.  My gut told me the stock was faked so I came here for confirmation.  I didn't buy it.  

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

I might be shooting myself in the foot but I'm pretty firm on handling it before I buy so I'm looking locally.  The lowest I'm seeing them in the Houston area is $1100 for not great condition.  There was a SC here in the EE (local to me) but the stock had been sanded and refinished in off color stain that went for I think $1100.  There's a pristine Remington in the EE for $2200 (Beautiful rifle, but a bit of a drive and too rich for my blood).  I've been to two local shows recently and the only 03a3 i saw at both was the same one - a beat to shit SC receiver / parts mix master for $1100.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The faked stamps would be a huge turnoff. Whether the current owner did it or it was done before, spurious items don't belong in a collection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top