Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2024 11:46:33 PM EDT

About to pick up a SBRX 30cal from jail

Since it’s completely dismantleable is there any reason not to plink some bolt action or even semi 22lr out of it? Jus take it apart and tap it against a table right?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It's probably fine.   It will serve it's purpose until you realize it's heavier than necessary.

You will have a purpose built rimfire can before too long.     Rimfire fouling is persistent and tapping it on a table likely will not be effective if heavily fouled.

Plan on complete disassembly and soaking in "the dip" or similar chemical cleaner.     Rimfire fouling is especially nasty as it's carbon mixed with vaporized lead and priming compound.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Couple shots on a bolt action sure

Anything more than that I wouldn’t.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I can’t see what would be different in the way of “should I” vs something like an Odessa 9, Erector 9, Paladin, Optimus, Bushwhacker, or MG22.

I also agree that you’re probably going to want a real rimfire can rather quickly. Do let us know how it goes, particularly if you have an opportunity for comparison.

I like CCI Clean. Its still dirty, just the least dirty (and least lead in the can) that I’m familiar with.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably OK, I've got a Form 1 beater can from like 8 years ago that has A LOT of 22 through it, along with 10.5" 5.56 and I can't really tell that it's accumulating anything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 32ACP] [#5]
Rimfire ammo, like any unjacketed lead bullet, involves vaporization of lead, as well as powder residue, so as others have pointed out, tapping won’t do.  Any basic (base, like pH, sodium hydroxide/lye, Simple Green, dishwasher soap, etc) will etch metal & dissolve aluminum, so confirm soaking in anything other than an organic solvent is ok per manufacturer.  I suspect a centerfire rifle can is steel or titanium?

The H2O2/vinegar recommendation frequently seen here isn’t a great idea, IMO, due to soluble lead salts, accidentally dissolving aluminum, kidney damage & disposal issues.

My SWR Spectre II gets 1k+ rounds/yr & I scrape the crust out, wipe & reassemble, so I suspect the can you can service won’t be an issue, but know that the vapor deposition of lead can make it difficult to disassemble, so a padded vice & strap wrench can help.  It’s a stainless steel can & much heavier than my sealed aluminum .22LR cans.  But, given difficulty cleaning them, I mostly shoot the Spectre II, unless I want as light as possible.

Good info:

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/cleaning-a-suppressor
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My first can was a YHM Resonator R2.

I shot a pile of 22lr through it before my 22lr cans were approved.
It worked well. I would shoot a shit load of 556 and 300 WM after shooting 22lr, seemed to clear out the gunk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By glocktalk:
Couple shots on a bolt action sure

Anything more than that I wouldn’t.

View Quote

Why not?  

It can be fully disassembled for cleaning.  No different than using a .22 LR can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top