Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2024 11:49:38 PM EDT
Started reloading for my Mod 29.  I bought 500/240 grain lead bullets.  I have 16 lbs of Titegroup.  So that's what I am using.  Bought it 8 yrs ago and won't be buying anymore powder soon.   I don't like the lead bullets on the indoor range I shoot on.  Too much of a dust bowl.   Would shooting a coated bullet reduce that?  Or should I just get copper plated or fmj?  I just shoot it for fun so I'm not loading it for hunting or anything.  I use 8 grains on the Titegroup.  So not a maximum load.  Since its just for target practice I prefer to load lighter rounds to save powder.  Lol.  TIA
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Coated will smoke less than cast lead alone.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can find the coated bullets that’s better. Jacketed is the best but more expensive. I guess it depends on how often you shoot it. If you are using it all the time the cast bullets are much cheaper. If you only get it out occasionally the jacket perform better and cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:29:46 AM EDT
[#3]
https://www.berrysmfg.com/category/preferred-plated-bullets/plated-pistol/44-caliber

Try something like these some time. A plated bullet does a fair job at indoor or defensive distances without breaking the bank.
These are closer to cast than to jacketed, but shoot much cleaner than cast or PC'd bullets. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, if you are worried about indoor range air with lead dust in it from the bullets, you might want to consider shooting someplace else if possible, especially as you will be having a lot of lead from primers when firing.  If there is poor ventilation, it is likely the primer lead that is a bigger hazard than the bullet.  

BTDT instructing at a terribly ventilated indoor range.  If you can see smoke/soot in the air after shooting, the ventilation is garbage and you are breathing stuff you don’t want…

Not personally a fan of lead free primers as they are not as reliable in my experience as regular ones (though new ones might be better), but if I had to shoot at a place with poor ventilation that is something I would consider.  Of course it won’t help much considering all the other folks around you shooting regular stuff.

All that being said- a trap that demolishes the bullet is more hazardous for airborne lead than one that just slows it down mostly intact (like a snail trap or rubber mulch trap).  So poor ventilation plus a trap that is smashing up the bullets is kind of the worst of both worlds…

However- yes- a coated bullet will have less airborne lead.  It is just less of a lead source than the primers are, so you are possibly chasing the wrong problem.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 98Redline:
Coated will smoke less than cast lead alone.
View Quote
I'm probably gonna try them.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
If you can find the coated bullets that’s better. Jacketed is the best but more expensive. I guess it depends on how often you shoot it. If you are using it all the time the cast bullets are much cheaper. If you only get it out occasionally the jacket perform better and cleaner.
View Quote
 I usually take it every week when I shoot.  I enjoy shooting it.   25-30 rds.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RegionRat:
https://www.berrysmfg.com/category/preferred-plated-bullets/plated-pistol/44-caliber

Try something like these some time. A plated bullet does a fair job at indoor or defensive distances without breaking the bank.
These are closer to cast than to jacketed, but shoot much cleaner than cast or PC'd bullets. YMMV
View Quote
 Thanks will check them out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Honestly, if you are worried about indoor range air with lead dust in it from the bullets, you might want to consider shooting someplace else if possible, especially as you will be having a lot of lead from primers when firing.  If there is poor ventilation, it is likely the primer lead that is a bigger hazard than the bullet.  

BTDT instructing at a terribly ventilated indoor range.  If you can see smoke/soot in the air after shooting, the ventilation is garbage and you are breathing stuff you don’t want…

Not personally a fan of lead free primers as they are not as reliable in my experience as regular ones (though new ones might be better), but if I had to shoot at a place with poor ventilation that is something I would consider.  Of course it won’t help much considering all the other folks around you shooting regular stuff.

All that being said- a trap that demolishes the bullet is more hazardous for airborne lead than one that just slows it down mostly intact (like a snail trap or rubber mulch trap).  So poor ventilation plus a trap that is smashing up the bullets is kind of the worst of both worlds…

However- yes- a coated bullet will have less airborne lead.  It is just less of a lead source than the primers are, so you are possibly chasing the wrong problem.
View Quote
Not so much the ventilation.   Its fine.  But its an indoor range.   You can shoot anything under a 50BMG.  Guys get to shooting AR's and slugs in there.   I just don't like how much dust it creates.  Wanting less.   I use Magnum primers.   Not sure if those are worse than regular large primers or not.  You would know more than I do on that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
I would suggest going to coated bullets.

I powder coat my home cast bullets, and there is no smoke from my loads.

"Coated bullets" is the commercial equilevent of powder coated.

Fired many bare cast bullets in several calibers, before switching to powder coating. Always hated the smoke from the lube burning off.

Welcome to the Reloading Forum.  
View Quote
I'm probably going to get the coated ones.  Yeh I think that lube/wax makes it worse.   I've been a member on here for years.  But I hadn't logged in here in so long nor the email I used to sign up that it got deleted.  So there was no way to recover my password.  I didn't have a clue what it was. Lol.  I just signed up a new account.  Can't remember when I originally signed up here.   I think it was around early 2000's.  Might have been in the late 90's actually.  I can't remember when this site started.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Cast & coated are what I recommend

Titegroup is not

it's too fast burning for 44 magnum, but it's well suited for mild target loads of 9mm, 45ACP, etc.

it also burns really hot, heating the gun up, and sometimes cooking the coating off the back of the bullets

for 44 magnum I recommend:

Mild

6.5gr Win231/HP38 240gr swc

warm

10gr Unique or 9gr Universal  240swc

max

24gr. H110/win296 240gr JHP

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

Cast & coated are what I recommend

Titegroup is not

it's too fast burning for 44 magnum, but it's well suited for mild target loads of 9mm, 45ACP, etc.

it also burns really hot, heating the gun up, and sometimes cooking the coating off the back of the bullets

for 44 magnum I recommend:

Mild

6.5gr Win231/HP38 240gr swc

warm

10gr Unique or 9gr Universal  240swc

max

24gr. H110/win296 240gr JHP

https://i.imgur.com/WX4wS3F.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KDL4k9H.jpg

View Quote
I"m not opposed to trying another powder.  But I bought 16lbs of Titegroup 8 yrs ago.  So you can imagine I'm not really itching to run out and buy powder when I have that much at 8 yrs ago prices.   Its hard for me to justify buying powder now at todays prices when I have that.  I just ordered 500 from Berrys of the plated bullets 240gr.   I only used 8 grains of the TG on the 240 lead rounds.  Works fine just don't like all the dust on an indoor range.   I use the TG mainly to load 40.    I've seen people say don't use TG for 44 and just as many say I use it all the time or have used it many times with no problems.  I think it just comes down to personal preference often.   I might try the 231.  30 yrs ago when I loaded 40 that was the only powder I ever used.   I'm just doing target loads.  So I'm more concerned with bang for the buck.   8gr of TG will load a lot of 44 without breaking the bank.    

I like those bullets in your pics.  Where do you get those?   Red looks cool as hell.   Thanks for the info.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LS1Auto:

I like those bullets in your pics.  Where do you get those?   Red looks cool as hell.   Thanks for the info.  

View Quote

I cast them and powder coated them myself

Baked in a cheap toaster oven

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:26:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#14]
I use the coated missouri bullet 240gr elmer K with very little smoke. I also use 240gr berry plated with a reduced load of 9gr of unique.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm kind of amused that someone shooting mid-range Titegroup loads is concerned about smoke from cast bullets. Titegroup is a smoke champion all by itself. It cleans ups some at higher level loads, but is a pretty dirty burning powder.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
https://i.imgur.com/qv9jXfal.jpg

Several of us here cast and powder coat their own bullets.

Here is a batch coming out of the toaster oven that you can see at the edges of the pic.
View Quote
 Maybe I might try that sometime.  That's the only thing I would ever use a toaster oven for. Ha ha.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By anachronism:
I'm kind of amused that someone shooting mid-range Titegroup loads is concerned about smoke from cast bullets. Titegroup is a smoke champion all by itself. It cleans ups some at higher level loads, but is a pretty dirty burning powder.
View Quote
It doesn't smoke at all on plated 40 cal bullets.  That is what I shoot the vast majority of the time.  Usually fire 100 rnds every week when I go to the range.  If I had known about the smoking on 44 I would have just got jacketed bullets but I had never used lead rounds.  If I was shooting outside all the time I wouldn't really care.   I've got 500 plated from Berrys on the way.  

The range according to the book is 4.7gr-10max.  I'm using 8.   I'm shooting a S&W Mod 29.  I don't notice that the gun is particularly dirty.   Nowhere as dirty as shooting Magtech in my 10mm.  That shit is dirty.  

Its not a concern.  Concern is when you get your results from the doctor looking up your asshole and you have polyps but don't know if its cancer or not.     I simply don't like all the smoke on an indoor range.    Same as when fat chicks hit on me.  Not my cup of tea.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LS1Auto:
It doesn't smoke at all on plated 40 cal bullets.  That is what I shoot the vast majority of the time.  Usually fire 100 rnds every week when I go to the range.  If I had known about the smoking on 44 I would have just got jacketed bullets but I had never used lead rounds.  If I was shooting outside all the time I wouldn't really care.   I've got 500 plated from Berrys on the way.  

The range according to the book is 4.7gr-10max.  I'm using 8.   I'm shooting a S&W Mod 29.  I don't notice that the gun is particularly dirty.   Nowhere as dirty as shooting Magtech in my 10mm.  That shit is dirty.  

Its not a concern.  Concern is when you get your results from the doctor looking up your asshole and you have polyps but don't know if its cancer or not.     I simply don't like all the smoke on an indoor range.    Same as when fat chicks hit on me.  Not my cup of tea.  
View Quote

Too funny!  

But honestly- if you can notice the smoke that much, they could improve the ventilation.  Modern ranges with good HVAC whisk that crap away downrange and scrub it into the filters.  The wind from behind you is kind of annoying, until you realize that none of the usual crud is hanging around the shooting line.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Back before the "HiTek" revolution.  When some bullet suppliers were using a different coating....like Black Bullets Int. in their instructions advised to not use fast burning powders and TG is about as fast you can get.
It created a lot of smoke.  Regular cast bullet lube and TG was like creating a fog bank when shooting outside in humid conditions.  The smoke just hung in the air.  I thought black powder loads were bad...  Growing up we lived in Houston ok Spring TX.  And, used to go shooting @ Carter's Country.  There was some black powder shooters with the loads really nearly obliterated the targets.  I remember a fellow shooting a Ruger Old Army.  Holy cow did that smoke up the range!
Now with Acme coated bullets and VV powder, Power Pistol, Hp38 and other there is no smoke.  Shooting VV powders you hard know that the gun has been fired it is that clean burning.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Unique for .44mag lite loads.
2400 for full power loads
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I shoot blue powder coated in my 44 mag. I think they are Acme brand. They are cheap and shoot great. Also run them in my 10mm semi. Again, good and cheap.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HomeAtLast:
Unique for .44mag lite loads.
2400 for full power loads
View Quote

this right here.

also, in this thread for the phrase "stout load".  Always shows up in 44 mag threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top