Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2024 3:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blacktoothgrin]
Looking hard at the Griffin Explor as it checks my boxes, under 12oz, Hub compatible and low backpressure.   Are there any other cans I should consider before Fo'in?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Titanium CAT WB is the only other one I would consider if forced into those parameters or a Flow556k if I’m fine with a little deviation on the weight. That being said from what I understand the explorr isn’t necessarily “low back pressure” like the Flow, Velos, and WB, it’s more of a reduced back pressure design.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#2]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Looking hard at the Griffin Explor as it checks my boxes, under 12oz, Hub compatible and low backpressure.   Are there any other cans I should consider before Fo'in?
View Quote
If weight and low back pressure are both priorities, I don't think you can do any better than the Explorr.

I got mine down to 10 1/2 oz with an Ecco Ti Plan A mount adapter.  (Of course if you want to go Plan A, the integrated mount version of the Explorr is even lighter).

Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
Titanium CAT WB is the only other one I would consider if forced into those parameters or a Flow556k if I'm fine with a little deviation on the weight. That being said from what I understand the explorr isn't necessarily "low back pressure" like the Flow, Velos, and WB, it's more of a reduced back pressure design.
View Quote

Yeah , but the Cat can is Ti. Not as durable as the SS Explorr. If you get the SS version of Cat's can then weight is way up. They are also very expensive.

The 7.62 Flow Ti is lighter than the 556K and in the weight ballpark, but HuxWrx mounts are very heavy (and it's not Hub compatible) and it's also a very expensive suppressor.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm using Rearden taper mounts.  Think that's plan B?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
I'm using Rearden taper mounts.  Think that's plan B?
View Quote
Yes. It is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
If weight and low back pressure are both priorities, I don't think you can do any better than the Explorr.

I got mine down to 10 1/2 oz with an Ecco Ti Plan A mount adapter.  (Of course if you want to go Plan A, the integrated mount version of the Explorr is even lighter).

Yeah , but the Cat can is Ti. Not as durable as the SS Explorr. If you get the SS version of Cat's can then weight is way up. They are also very expensive.

The 7.62 Flow Ti is lighter than the 556K and in the weight ballpark, but HuxWrx mounts are very heavy (and it's not Hub compatible) and it's also a very expensive suppressor.

View Quote

Inconel, not SS, but you’re correct that the titanium won’t be as durable. Though I think the durability argument on titanium is a bit overblown for most end users. The thing that turns me off to titanium is sparking.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my explorr, but it's not super low back pressure. Like some one else said, it's more of what I would call reduced back pressure. My explorr .224 has similar blowback to my Nomad on a 5.56. So, the explorr back pressure is like using a 30 cal can.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The explorr is a fully sealed can... it handles backpressure well but it is not going to do what a vented high flow can like the dual lok or 556k will.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#8]

Inconel, not SS, but you're correct that the titanium won't be as durable. Though I think the durability argument on titanium is a bit overblown for most end users. The thing that turns me off to titanium is sparking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Inconel, not SS, but you're correct that the titanium won't be as durable. Though I think the durability argument on titanium is a bit overblown for most end users. The thing that turns me off to titanium is sparking.
Perhaps, but the following is a quote from the Cat WB manual. The 650 deg threshold is a little low for my liking. I'd like a bit more of a safety margin than that.  I think the better durability of cans like the Griffin Explorr and EA Peak are a bit more reasonable, at least for my use.

C.A.T White Bread (WB) Titanium 5.56mm suppressors are limited to barrel lengths of 10" or longer, which also includes similar cartridges such as 5.45mm. Full Auto or High Rates of Fire (HRF) (greater than 30rounds per minute) are expressly discouraged, unless in life threatening self-defense situations, as the WB Titanium is a super lightweight, high performance suppressor dedicated to Low Rates of Fire (LRF), and the user should not exceed a maximum service temperature of approximately 650 F (343 C). Once this temperature threshold is reached, the suppressor should be allowed to cool down

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I am also in the camp that titanium is a poor choice for semi-auto hosts
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
It misses your weight requirement by 2oz but I'd give the LPM Torch a hard look. It's a really well balanced suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:19:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#11]
Originally Posted By Tug153:
I love my explorr, but it's not super low back pressure. Like some one else said, it's more of what I would call reduced back pressure. My explorr .224 has similar blowback to my Nomad on a 5.56. So, the explorr back pressure is like using a 30 cal can.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
The explorr is a fully sealed can... it handles backpressure well but it is not going to do what a vented high flow can like the dual lok or 556k will.
People have to have reasonable expectations. No traditional baffle can will be anything like a well designed flow through can.

But most flow through cans also have their own drawbacks. There's no free lunch.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#12]
People have to have reasonable expectations. No traditional baffle can will be anything like a well designed flow through can.

But most flow through cans also have their own drawbacks. There's no free lunch.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

I'm not arguing. I have two explorrs and am well acquainted
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Perhaps, but the following is a quote from the Cat WB manual. The 650 deg threshold is a little low for my liking. I'd like a bit more of a safety margin than that.  I think the better durability of cans like the Griffin Explorr and EA Peak are a bit more reasonable, at least for my use.

View Quote

Fair enough. I’m rocking an OCL polo so durability isn’t a concern either, though I purchased it due to my budget.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Fair enough. I'm rocking an OCL polo so durability isn't a concern either, though I purchased it due to my budget.
View Quote
Yeah, no durability concerns with the Polo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a look at AB suppressors. Their suppression/weight is awesome. Definitely an amazing suppressor company that doesn't get enough love.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ehul0000:
Take a look at AB suppressors. Their suppression/weight is awesome. Definitely an amazing suppressor company that doesn't get enough love.
View Quote

And they’re ribbed for her pleasure
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:23:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I just received the Explorr 224 UM today. Very impressed with how light weight it is. When I was looking at a new 5.56 can for a 16" barrel (to retire the M4-2000 and nasty 51T mount) someone recommended the Explorr and I am glad they did. If I was running a 10.3" to 12.5" barrel I would have went with the Recce 5k. Either way I think you'll be happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Luny421:
Originally Posted By ehul0000:

I can see why they dont get as much love with that weird ribbed exterior.  Kinda like the YHM Cats ass, its not for everybody.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:32:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#19]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:

I can see why they dont get as much love with that weird ribbed exterior.  Kinda like the YHM Cats ass, its not for everybody.
View Quote
The shop I've used recently has some AB cans. They've tempted me. Once I recover from my last Form-4 frenzy I'll be looking at them more seriously.

I like my Explorr, but it's in .30 and is on a blackout sbr, so it's not all that applicable to your question.
... but, I like it!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#20]
The Goldilocks Suppressor? Griffin Recce 5K Review

It’s 13.7oz, and Plan A only (it comes with a mount, though), but the Recce5k is definitely lower backpressure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top