Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2024 2:00:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg]
New shotgun. 350 rounds through it. I polished chamber with 0000 steel whool.  Early on. Thought I had sticking problem.  Today I shot 75 rounds. 4 rounds stuck into chamber. Or you could say the extractors popped off the rim.  I think I’m
Causing this. It’s when I’m trying to speed up shots doing drills. I’m kinda already pulling back on the for grip to cycle the next round.  If I slow down slightly it will not do this.  I will state I never had this happen with my 870P. Also the shotgun chamber  has been cleaned pretty good. Several times.  What says the wise ole  Hive.  You can tell me the truth . It’s me , ain’t it ..????Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Drive it like you stole it,when you rack it.  When it goes boom there is a release of pressure on the action.   Then go to work.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 590A1 with WAY more rounds through it.  I shoot it the way you are describing 90% of the time.  I’ve never had a shell stuck in the chamber.  Might be a weak extractor spring.  Hopefully it’s not an out of spec chamber.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
What length shells are you shooting?
3" shells in a 2 3/4" chamber can do that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the gun to me. You may have to actually polish the chamber. On the carlson barrel for my 870 I had to polish the machining marks out of the chamber to get rid of my failure to extract.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:26:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it happening with a.l shells or just one type? I had issues with Winchester while everything else worked fine in a few different guns
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m shooting nothing but 2 3/4.  The Winchester cheap stuff.  Fiochi cheap stuff and Fiochi buck shot on there cheap end.  I honestly don’t remember which one it was. I’ll take it back out this coming weekend and try again with paying attention to the exact shells.
  Let me say this again. The action is not locked up. I pull the trigger and try to cycle as fast as I can. Like my life depended on it. It cycles but the spent case is still in the chamber. It try’s to load the next shell. Which it can’t. I shake the live round out and close the action. It then pulls the spent case out perfectly every time.  I might hit the chamber again with the steel wool. Wardawg
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
I’m shooting nothing but 2 3/4.  The Winchester cheap stuff.  Fiochi cheap stuff and Fiochi buck shot on there cheap end.  I honestly don’t remember which one it was. I’ll take it back out this coming weekend and try again with paying attention to the exact shells.
  Let me say this again. The action is not locked up. I pull the trigger and try to cycle as fast as I can. Like my life depended on it. It cycles but the spent case is still in the chamber. It try’s to load the next shell. Which it can’t. I shake the live round out and close the action. It then pulls the spent case out perfectly every time.  I might hit the chamber again with the steel wool. Wardawg
View Quote

What I think you are saying is that you have rearward pressure on the hand guard when you fire the shotgun.  You allow the recoil to assist the rapid rearward motion of the slide as the action unlocks at the end of the firing sequence.  When the slide bottoms out at its rearward motion and comes to a stop, you rapidly close the action and resume target acquisition and rearward pressure on the now locked slide, in anticipation of the next shot.

The weapon is expected to operate in this manner.  If it does not, their is a problem with the weapon or ammunition.  It is quite conceivable that the bargain birdshot used so often for practice may have a little to soft “brass” that is expanding to much for the first extraction sequence to remove. Good call watching the brand/brands next time you practice.  

Mine and the Maverick clone have eaten and spit out everything so far, but have had noticeable resistance with some hot buck and slug loads.  Still, that’s not a huge sample.

What kind of use/abuse has this gun experienced?  I would still look closely at extractor tension and shape/condition of the extractors.  I haven’t priced replacements, but it still sounds like it would be cheap piece of mind starting factory fresh.

Unless it is factory fresh.  In that case send it in for warranty if it’s not a fluke with the ammunition.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had trouble with a certain brand before in my Mossberg .  May want to check and see if its doing it with more than one brand.   You could check the extractor to make sure its got a nice fit around the shell.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

What you are explaining is what exactly was happening with my 870 with the carlson barrel before I smoothed out all machining marks and put a mirror polish on it. The fiocchi orange hull rounds were the ones my gun liked the least.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a brake hone on shotgun chambers.  It would take much too long to use steel wool to accomplish anything inside the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Try another barrel side by side before you do anything, that will tell you what you need to know.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I usually run one of the 12 gauge chamber honing tools into the chamber. Mossberg is also really bad about using some kind of gorilla snot preservative in their shotguns and that shit is not easy to completely get out, even when it looks clean. I have had one chamber that sounded kind of like what you have and after the honing tool it was just fine. That’s how I ended up starting that habit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Soft plastic and weak rims, that stuff is a problem in many guns.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#14]
So far all my spent cases look normal. Even the ones that the extractor jumped the rim on.  If I feel the need to hone the chamber what’s a good recommendation.  I seen those ball type on Amazon for about $40.  But 800 grit or 400 grit ?   If I got both then I’m $80 in on a new shotgun.  I’m going to shoot it again and focus on this issue closer.   Wardawg
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I had the same issue with my 500, those low brass Winchester shells in your pic stuck every time. So far that's the only ones, I just stay away.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I borrowed a shop's to do mine, but I believe it was the 800.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:12:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snuffy19608] [#17]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
I borrowed a shop's to do mine, but I believe it was the 800.
View Quote

Pretty much same same, safety is different and a bit more plastic but a damn good shotgun. Try it again if possible, but use high BRASS shells. You say it belonged to a shop, how worn is it?

Looking at your pic, I think you had a 500 or 590. Either way, how worn?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By snuffy19608:

Pretty much same same, safety is different and a bit more plastic but a damn good shotgun. Try it again if possible, but use high BRASS shells. You say it belonged to a shop, how worn is it?

Looking at your pic, I think you had a 500 or 590. Either way, how worn?
View Quote

I'm not sure if you're quoting the right post, but I borrowed a shop's honing tool that I believe was 800 grit to do my chamber polishing. This has been on pretty much each Mossberg I've bought just to help get the gunk cleaned out of new guns, all 590s.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I just scrubbed the chamber again.  I polished it with the barrel brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool. I drenched it in oil and worked it for at least 5 minuets.  I sprayed degreaser on a cloth and punched the barrel twice.  The first inch of the chamber is smoothed and I would call polished enough.  Now deeper in past the 1 inch mark there is a few rings.  I put my finger in there and don’t really feel anything. Scientific I know lol..,.. I tried to take pics but shinning a light and snapping a pic it comes out different vs what the eye sees.   I’m going again in the morning.  Trying again. 100 rounds.  We’ll see. Wardawg Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#20]
CLP is what you seek. I tried that Hormady one shot on my gun, and it did the same thing with the cheap walmart 12 gauge ammo. Went back over it with CLP, and presto, no more hung shells.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Last time I shot it I took 3 different boxes of shells.  I mixed as I was shooting.  This time im shooting one box at the time to keep track if it is a specific one.  We’ll see. Wardawg
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

this winchester shit stuck really bad in my 870

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
This is also one thing I did on my 870
https://www.rem870.com/2017/06/15/fixing-remington-870-failure-to-extract-problem/
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg] [#24]
Back from the range.  Shot 75 rounds.  1 stuck , extractors jumped the rim. I shot a box of federal 7 1/2 first. Aiming at steel plates.  Shooting semi rapidly.  Now moved onto next box. Fiochi shooting dynamics 7 1/2. Had one stick.  The chamber was decently warm/hot.  I finished it and moved onto the last box of Fiochi 9 pellet buckshot. It felt slightly sluggish but never seized up or jumped the rim.  I was getting tired from the rapid firing. I might been what was sluggish. I had no Winchester cheap crap to shoot.  I searched the particular Fiochi 7 1/2 I was shooting and it has a track record of doing just that. Normally when the chamber got hot was a factor. I bought it to just practice shooting with shotguns. I could get flex hones and hit the chamber and give it a Mirror shine.  Polishing with 0000 did improve it.  The spent case had no deformity’s. Looked normal.  My life of shooting cheap ammo. I can bump up in practice ammo grade.  Or get a 400 and 800 grit flex stone and go to town. I have read where many have this issue and sent it back to Mossberg . And it still would  stick and mossy said please quit using it.  They might be right.  I was only using the cheaper stuff to practice more.  Cheers WarDawgAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#25]
The ideal hone for this purpose would be one made for brake wheel cylinders. They are spring-loaded, 3 or 4 stone hones. Just make sure you put a thin washer at the front of the chamber, to preserve the "step" between the chamber and the bore.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I broke down and got the 400 grit and 800 grit flex hones. I’m weak.  I want a 100% shotgun.  Not a 98% … I can make up the cost by shooting the cheaper crap to practice.  Cheers Wardawg
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I used the flex hones on my 590A1 barrel also.
I never had any chamber or sticking shell issues, but the bore would foul very badly very quickly.
I'm talking strips of lead would come out of the bore when using a bore brush.
After polishing the bore it fouls way less.
I also lightly polished the chamber a little, but spent the most of the time on the bore.

So far my 590A1 has been 100% as far as feeding/cycling and extracting/ejecting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:30:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Careful polishing a chrome lined bore.  You burn through the plating and it could start flaking off.

The Mossberg has dual extractors if you’re having trouble it could be one or both are weak…

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:52:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Hmmm.... could be relevant to my interests.  I have a 590 sitting in jail right now, that I'll be picking up next Saturday.  And I've got a pile of cheap stuff that runs good in my 870.  Guess I'll find out next Sunday.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I finished my chamber honing this weekend.  I degreased then looked at the rings from tooling about 2” into the chamber.  590 & 870.   I polished with the 400 grit. And finished with the 800 grit. It did not remove everything. But 3/4 of it.  I’ll try it out again the a few weeks. I’m trapped at work for a while. Might be late May.  I was lightly nervous about over doing it. Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike103] [#32]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:52:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg] [#33]
Originally Posted By mike103:
Winchester Universal shells are the worst.

Next is Challenger made in Canada.

Why not buy some high quality shells, Winchester AA or Remington STS and see if expensive shells work better. Or even high brass hunting loads.

Or make the switch to Italian guns and enjoy life.
View Quote

I bought the cheap shells to just be able to shoot more / practice.  Running drills at the range.  I do plan on upgrading to AA / Remington gun club when on sale.  I also just wanted to get the chambers smoother.  They did have rough areas in them.  I think I’m there now.  And I to love Italian girls.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
Careful polishing a chrome lined bore.  You burn through the plating and it could start flaking off.

The Mossberg has dual extractors if you’re having trouble it could be one or both are weak…

View Quote

I don't think the 590 has a chrome bore. I've never seen where it did, and Vang refuses to work on chrome bores but they do work on 590s.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

I don't think the 590 has a chrome bore. I've never seen where it did, and Vang refuses to work on chrome bores but they do work on 590s.
View Quote

They don’t have chrome bores or chambers. Wish they did.  But they don’t. At least on all the ones I have seen. Wardawg
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#36]
The problem is your chamber is too rough. Steel wool barely does anything to tool marks, all you did was make it really clean. Don't bother with a flex hone. A brake cylinder hone might work, but is only one grit. The best method is to lap it with sandpaper or emery cloth. Get a wood dowel 1/2" or 3/8", split the end with a saw blade. I would start with 320 grit, then go to 600 grit. You would have to go pretty crazy to really alter the chamber, just run it in and out like a hone, it will actually remove the high spots on the tooling marks. Next I like to take a bit of sandpaper by hand, and with my thumb really get the entrance for the chamber maybe 3/4" in good. You can finish with the steel wool to polish.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the advice.   I already flex honed it.  I’ll take it out and get it good and hot with a minimum 100 rounds through it and see what happens.  If it’s not good enough with the cheap fiochi it will show up.  Wardawg
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the advice.   I already flex honed it.  I’ll take it out and get it good and hot with a minimum 100 rounds through it and see what happens.  If it’s not good enough with the cheap fiochi it will show up.  Wardawg
View Quote

What grit hone did you use?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Dremel tool with polishing wheel goes burr, haha
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

I started with 400.  Then went to 800
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top