BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
6.5x55 Swede (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/23/2023 10:35:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uncle_big_green]
So I'm getting an 1894 Swedish Mauser and decided that I'll also get a modern bolt rifle to compliment it. I'll have dies for it and it's not impossible to find the ammo. I don't care that it's not the common Jesusmoor (still a good cartridge). It would be a good fill-in between my numerous .223/5.56s and 30 cals. I lack something in that area.  I want a synthetic stock and stainless or ceracoated/treated barrel. Sako says they make them, but when you scroll to the bottom, no 6.5x55. Sauer and Cooper have some offerings. Tikka is wood and blue (I would get that if I wanted wood and blue). Of the aforementioned, the Cooper fits the bill for sure and it won't be inexpensive (or bankrupt me).  I'm not as familiar with Sauer. Suggestions? Threaded barrel would be nice, but not mandatory. This will be mainly a whitetail, antelope and fun gun. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My first bolt gun was a small ring in 6.5x55 (still use it), I think it was around 1978.  Deer,  Antelope, California pigs, no problem.  I've always used Norma brass and it helps to reload.  
Why not buy an action and have a barrel put in it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:59:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IndyGrendel63] [#2]
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:
So I'm getting an 1896 Swedish Mauser and decided that I'll also get a modern bolt rifle to compliment it. I'll have dies for it and it's not impossible to find the ammo. I don't care that it's not the common Jesusmoor (still a good cartridge). It would be a good fill-in between my numerous .223/5.56s and 30 cals. I lack something in that area.  I want a synthetic stock and stainless or ceracoated/treated barrel. Sako says they make them, but when you scroll to the bottom, no 6.5x55. Sauer and Cooper have some offerings. Tikka is wood and blue (I would get that if I wanted wood and blue). Of the aforementioned, the Cooper fits the bill for sure and it won't be inexpensive (or bankrupt me).  I'm not as familiar with Sauer. Suggestions? Threaded barrel would be nice, but not mandatory. This will be mainly a whitetail, antelope and fun gun. Thanks.
View Quote

Not exactly what you are looking for, but might be close enough. I have a stainless encore frame, been looking at E.A.B. Co barrels, they make it in 6.5 x 55.  I bought a used barrel a few years back, couldn’t get it to group, more like a pattern.  I figure, next time I’ll get a new barrel so I might have some better luck with it.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to pawnshop, buy Remington 700 or Savage mdl 10,  ship it off to ER Shaw for a new barrel.

That's how I got my .284.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uncle_big_green] [#4]
Originally Posted By Jimboecv:
My first bolt gun was a small ring in 6.5x55 (still use it), I think it was around 1978.  Deer,  Antelope, California pigs, no problem.  I've always used Norma brass and it helps to reload.  
Why not buy an action and have a barrel put in it?
View Quote

I'm worried that it will be a repeat of when I thought that I'd save $$$ doing my own AR build. That turned out pretty awesome, so I can't say that your suggestion isn't a good one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:

Not exactly what you are looking for, but might be close enough. I have a stainless encore frame, been looking at E.A.B. Co barrels, they make it in 6.5 x 55.  I bought a used barrel a few years back, couldn’t get it to group, more like a pattern.  I figure, next time I’ll get a new barrel so I might have some better luck with it.

Just a thought.
View Quote

That sounds cool, even though I probably won't go that route. I'm seriously appreciative of you posting that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Go to pawnshop, buy Remington 700 or Savage mdl 10,  ship it off to ER Shaw for a new barrel.

That's how I got my .284.  
View Quote

Another good post. Thanks. I like these outside of my box suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Zastava, out of Serbia, used to market a Mauser style rifle in 6.5 X 55 Swede. Imported by the FIME Group. Model 70. I got mine off of Gunbroker about 8-9 years ago. Decent rifle for deer hunting, although I had to cut about an inch off of the butt stock to properly fit me. Still have it.
Gary
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Current Swede is a Howa 1500 with a Hogue stock. Not fancy but dead nuts on target.  SGammo and TargetSports seem to have a decent selection for it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:22:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARMALITE-FAN] [#9]
I have a long action left hand 700 in 6.5x55. Had it chambered so I could seat longer , higher BC bullets out past the 3.15 oal

I didnt know it but I was ground breaking before the Creedmoor.

I had a cut down straight handle 96 that was turned into a scout rifle. Took a pissed off moose at less than 20 yards with a Remington Core-Lokt 160 gr RN. I alway thought the 6.5 made a better 7.62x51. Right bullets LMG would have been a step ahead.

I would not give Cooper my money. Fine rifles but he doesnt think the average public should own AR15's
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
That guy from Cooper is long gone if I'm not mistaken. Also, Nighthawk bought Cooper an it's now Cooper of Arkansas (probably more expensive now ). https://cooperfirearms.com
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ZRXHooligan:
Current Swede is a Howa 1500 with a Hogue stock. Not fancy but dead nuts on target.  SGammo and TargetSports seem to have a decent selection for it.
View Quote

I've heard good things about Howa. Will take a look. Saw that SG had decent selection. Glad to see another source. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Tikka use to make a T3 stainless in synthetic. I passed over a couple in auctions that I wish I did not. One was NOS.

They currently make the hunter in stainless and wood. Drawback it you have to buy wood to switch out to synthetic if that is what you want.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
@FluffyTheCat for an enbloc clip loading bolt action...
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
@FluffyTheCat for an enbloc clip loading bolt action...
View Quote

I thought about @ing him.

He'll probably suggest a wood stock, though. Don't get me wrong - I love and have wood stocks on stuff. When I'm going hunting out here, I want something that cares less about the weather.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uncle_big_green] [#15]
PS - My pretty darn good condition 1894 (made in '17) should be here later next week or early the following week.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]

He'll probably suggest a wood stock, though. Don't get me wrong - I love and have wood stocks on stuff. When I'm going hunting out here, I want something that cares less about the weather.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  @FluffyTheCat for an enbloc clip loading bolt action...

10th Mountain seemed to do ok in Colorado w/ wood stocks.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Remington 700 classic if you can find one.

Hard to find factory guns in 6.5 Swede.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I still think the tikka is your beat bet. Something really cool about that cartridges in a rifle made where Tikka or Sako are made, Finland right?

I would buythe wood/ blue tikka. Send it out for a custom cerakote however you want it. Sell the hunter stock which should get you a few dollars. The factory synthetics stocks are extremely cheap used. You would end up with a great factory chambered rifle, cerakote and synthetic stock.

They are pricey but the Vail or Roughtech might come in 6.5x55. The Tikka is a really nice platform and it is a perfect match to have a Scandinavian gun in a Scandinavian cartridge. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#19]
10th Mountain seemed to do ok in Colorado w/ wood stocks.  
View Quote

Using tung oil to actually weatherproof the stock rather than BLO to make it look pretty goes a long way.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Tikka or CZ for new hunting gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Casmirblue633:
Tikka or CZ for new hunting gun.
View Quote

CZ is a good idea, but has to be a euro gun
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an original Swede, as well as a newer "sporterized" version, but my hunting 6.5x55 is a Winchester 70 Featherweight.  I'd really like to find a Remington 700 Classic in 6.5x55, but those rifles have really gone up in price.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm still checking this thread. Thanks everyone. With the CZ mention, I'm pretty sure that they're not making 6.5x55 anymore. That's not to say that there isn't a new one sitting in a fun store since they weren't discontinued too long ago.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I’ve been chasing this dragon as well. So far, I think the only way to do this for a reasonable cost is to buy a Savage 110 or an action and (re) barrel it myself.

Keep in mind that if you’re getting a gun rebarrelled, the bolt face might need to be slightly enlarged.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I have had a Steyr SBS for close to 20 years in 6.5.  Has been such a good rifle.  Buy 100 rounds of Lapua target ammo and then use the brass.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#26]
6.5 Swedemoor is a fantastic round. In my M94 I thought it was going to suck, but was quite pleasant to shoot in that short rifle. It's great in my M41/b as it is so long and heavy there is little to no recoil. I need to get my rifle to the range this weekend to sight it in now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 10:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uncle_big_green] [#27]
Update. I knew what I was getting, but was mistakenly told (and believed) that it was an 1896 carbine. Sometimes my friend got incorrect info embedded in his head and went with it. RIP, Bob. Anyway, it's an 1894 in pretty good condition.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone ever tried pulling down the wooden bullet/training ammo that used to be available?  I know some people have pulled the bullets, neck sized, and reloaded with their own powder/bullets.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a Remington 700 classic, shot really well with RL19 and a Sierra 120gr.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Gallery ammo is still available from time to time

Knock out the little lead pellet
Dump the mystery gunpowder

Reload with current rifle powder and bullet

I have TWO wood cases of the stuff
But I had to buy 2 UNOPENED cases
And I have resisted opening them so far

Enjoy your rifles
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Enjoy your new Mauser, what a great caliber, the OG of the 6.5 family.  
I have an all matching numbers model 96 that I am thinking of having converted to an M41 sniper repro so I can use the scope to get out there a bit farther.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I finally mounted a scope on my sporterized Swede....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uncle_big_green] [#34]
Nice.

My ammo order arrives tomorrow. I have 1 box that I bought locally the day before I got my 1894. I'll have more than the standard Fudd allotment.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice.

My ammo order arrives tomorrow. I have 1 box that I bought locally the day before I got my 1894. I'll have more than the standard Fudd allotment.
View Quote

@uncle_big_green

Where did you order ammo from?
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:

@uncle_big_green

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
Nice.

@uncle_big_green

@USCG_CPO

SG Ammo. I got 100 rds of PPU, 20 Winchester and 20 Hornady. That put me just over $200 and qualified for free shipping.

I almost ordered from Target Sports USA (mentioned by another poster above). Their prices were good - even a little better than SG, but I would have ended up spending more. Their free shipping is similar, but different.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#37]

@USCG_CPO

SG Ammo. I got 100 rds of PPU, 20 Winchester and 20 Hornady. That put me just over $200 and qualified for free shipping.

I almost ordered from Target Sports USA (mentioned by another poster above). Their prices were good - even a little better than SG, but I would have ended up spending more. Their free shipping is similar, but different.
View Quote

Thanks! I wondered if it might not be SG, that guy is good about taking my money
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I sold my 1894 in a weak moment when I inherited some guns and ran out of safe room.

Still have a reasonably nice set of Redding "Deluxe" reloading dies.  If you're interested I'll let them go pretty reasonable since I don't have a use for them.  

They are fun rifles.  I spent a bunch of time polishing mine and oiling the stock and it looked pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By makintrax73:

I sold my 1894 in a weak moment when I inherited some guns and ran out of safe room.

Still have a reasonably nice set of Redding "Deluxe" reloading dies.  If you're interested I'll let them go pretty reasonable since I don't have a use for them.  

They are fun rifles.  I spent a bunch of time polishing mine and oiling the stock and it looked pretty cool.
View Quote

@makintrax73

Thanks for posting. I'll let you know if I'm interested in the dies, but I may be getting free ones.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Kimber converted a bunch of military mausers to 6.5 Swede and 308 and dropped them into laminate or nylon stocks. There was a pawn shop in Fredericksburg or Stafford VA that had 1 to 200 on their racks

I used to see 1 or 2 at gun shows or gun stores or gunbroker
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 1:36:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: charliedontsurf] [#41]
A damn fine round.

I cringe when I say this, but my buddy chopped down an old numbers matching Swede M96 stock and bedded the action in Devcon to the the original stock, then scoped it with some modern glass, and I'll say that thing was a fucking tack driving mule that shot sub .25 MOA groups @ 100 yds with Norma Black Oynyx loads.

Can't recall the gr. bullet, but it was truly phenomenal how tight it shot with a factory barrel over a hundred years old.

Made me a believer in a spitzer 6.5 round and old Swede Mausers a long time ago.

ETA- He did put a 1.5 lb Timney Featherweight trigger in it too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Laserjock:

Kimber converted a bunch of military mausers to 6.5 Swede and 308 and dropped them into laminate or nylon stocks. There was a pawn shop in Fredericksburg or Stafford VA that had 1 to 200 on their racks

View Quote

All the ones I've seen were 6.5x55 in Ramline stocks, I had one years ago...local pawn shop has one on the shelf right now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:37:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#43]
When I was in your situation, I bought a Savage 110 in .30-06 and swapped the barrel. The Savage is easy home gunsmith job. No lathe required. The long action bolt and bolt head works great with the Swede cartridge.

I bought my barrel from these guys: https://eabco.com/

Here's another source: https://www.gunshack.com/savage-barrels?product_id=288

If you decide go go this route send me an IM. I think I have a action wrench and barrel nut spanner for 110 and I would sell them. I probably have headspace gauges, too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
When I was in your situation, I bought a Savage 110 in .30-06 and swapped the barrel. The Savage is easy home gunsmith job. No lathe required. The long action bolt and bolt head works great with the Swede cartridge.

If you decide go go this route send me an IM. I think I have a action wrench and barrel nut spanner for 110 and I would sell them. I probably have headspace gauges, too.
View Quote

Did you ever use that with Norma, Lapua, or milsurp brass/ammo? US made ammo doesn’t always use the original rim diameter.

I’m sending you a PM.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

Did you ever use that with Norma, Lapua, or milsurp brass/ammo? US made ammo doesn’t always use the original rim diameter.

I’m sending you a PM.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:  When I was in your situation, I bought a Savage 110 in .30-06 and swapped the barrel. The Savage is easy home gunsmith job. No lathe required. The long action bolt and bolt head works great with the Swede cartridge.

I’m sending you a PM.

That's what I was wondering.  What did he do to the bolt face?  Or did he use the 6.5x57 mm Mauser cartridge?
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Laserjock:

View Quote

TWEDE
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#47]

I’m sending you a PM.
View Quote

Pretty sure I was using Lapua and PRVI cases. I don't recall any problems.

I responded to your PM.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#48]

That's what I was wondering.  What did he do to the bolt face?  Or did he use the 6.5x57 mm Mauser cartridge?
View Quote

The .30-06 bolt works with a 6.5 Swede.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 12:25:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher: That's what I was wondering.  What did he do to the bolt face?  Or did he use the 6.5x57 mm Mauser cartridge?

Interesting.  Think @FluffyTheCat had to open up the bolt face on his Garand.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Interesting.  Think @FluffyTheCat had to open up the bolt face on his Garand.
View Quote

Google search: "30-06 bolt 6.5 swede"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
6.5x55 Swede (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top