User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By plowboy:
Just scored mine yesterday and will be shooting it tomorrow. I have short arms and need to cut the stock back an inch or so so I ordered a limbsaver buttpad also ordered a Matthews Fabrication adjustable cheek riser to help with eye relief.

I already have a 300blk and should have bought the x39 first and maybe not have bought the 300. I would have had no trouble with the stock but I always have to shorten a stock to fit me, wish this caliber would have been available in the compact model because it is already a 1 1/4 shorter stock.
View Quote

I called Ruger to try and purchase a compact stock for mine for my kids to use. They insisted on shipping me one for free and even included the AR magwell. Said Ruger is a big supporter of getting youth involved.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By coyotesilencer:

I called Ruger to try and purchase a compact stock for mine for my kids to use. They insisted on shipping me one for free and even included the AR magwell. Said Ruger is a big supporter of getting youth involved.
View Quote

Thats awesome. Thats easier than the way I did it but I still needed a cheek riser.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 6:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pitt_Guy] [#3]
On a whim I bought the Magpul Hunter Stanag stock and three 10rd Duramags.

Thoughts:
-This is how the rifle should have came from the factory
-The rifle now fits me properly and is even more fun to shoot
-Accuracy seems improved
-AR mags seem more compact and refined than Mini-30 mags
-100% function, some folks on ARF have asked quite often if this set up works... it does.
-I'm limited on range space here, shot 10 rounds on each bullseye at 50 yards--plenty happy

photo link

Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Pitt_Guy:

Thoughts:
-Accuracy seems improved
-100% function, some folks on ARF have asked quite often if this set up works... it does.
-I'm limited on range space here, shot 10 rounds on each bullseye at 50 yards--plenty happy

photo link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tYNTOffSrCLRN1ma33XtfLBq0__ixU2h/view?usp=sharing
View Quote

its a good looking chassis, i wish they made one that keeps the mini 30 mags tho, ive already nought a few.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Thoughts:
-Accuracy seems improved

photo link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tYNTOffSrCLRN1ma33XtfLBq0__ixU2h/view?usp=sharing
View Quote

That looks great! Can you post a pic with the mag inserted?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Thoughts:
-Accuracy seems improved

photo link

View Quote
@ Pitt_guy

I've been looking at these rifles and just brushing up (so forgive it is stupid question)

So the Magpul stagnag stock is all that is needed to convert to AR based mags (in 7.62x39) or is there more? Any dependability issues?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Uys] [#7]
...or the $26 AR magwell from Ruger.  Mine has been without issue.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Hamel:
@ Pitt_guy

I've been looking at these rifles and just brushing up (so forgive it is stupid question)

So the Magpul stagnag stock is all that is needed to convert to AR based mags (in 7.62x39) or is there more? Any dependability issues?
View Quote

I have the Magpul stock on a 7.62x39 and it works fine with the 10 and 28 round Duramags.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cajun22:

I have the Magpul stock on a 7.62x39 and it works fine with the 10 and 28 round Duramags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@ Pitt_guy

And that fits fine, no mods needed to the stock/rifle? Does it only work with Duramags or will other 7.62x39 ar mags work with it?

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PA452:

If Dick's was the exclusive seller of those rifles I'd look for a different rifle, but that's me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#11]
On another note-researching this topic, found someone that converts American Ranch stocks (magpul, Boyds and OEM) to use AK mags.

If the Magpul is all I need for AR mags, might get the original stock converted over to take AK mags and had the best of both worlds

https://www.firecastlecustoms.com/shop
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 6:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cajun22] [#12]
The Duramags are AR mags for 7.62x39. These are the best for that caliber.  No mods to the gun were needed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:17:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KWGuy] [#13]
If anyone is still looking for these rifles Bud's has them in stock for a little over $500

Has anyone had issues with shooting steel case ammo and having light primer strikes?  My uncles CZ won't fire some rounds and was just wondering about this issue on the RAR
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]
No problem with steel rounds. It's what I mostly shoot through it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KWGuy:
If anyone is still looking for these rifles Bud's has them in stock for a little over $500

Has anyone had issues with shooting steel case ammo and having light primer strikes?  My uncles CZ won't fire some rounds and was just wondering about this issue on the RAR
View Quote

I grabbed one last week from Grab a Gun for $450 + tax, still in stock . Cheap plus the $100 Ruger rewards./rebate they got going on now makes it a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Ditto. No problem at all.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By L119188:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By L119188:

I haven’t ran a single piece of brass in mine.  No issues at all with steel cased.  Great rifle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info on the Ruger rewards!
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#19]
saw one at my local sportsman’s warehouse when picking up my 10/22 this week.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
I picked mine up from these guys :

https://www.familyfirearms.com/product/ruger-american-ranch-7.62x39mm-flat-dark-earth-16976
View Quote

Huge fan of this company
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Submitted for the Ruger rewards and it was approved in less than 2 hours.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#23]
What height rings are folks running. Had a strike eagle with an AR mount laying around and it's (obviously) too high.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#24]
What height rings are folks running. Had a strike eagle with an AR mount laying around and it's (obviously) too high.
View Quote

I put mine in a set of low rings.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I chose the CZ527 over the RAR due to the extractor.  The MIM extractor that the RAR uses instills zero confidence with me.
I had one of the Mossberg rifles that uses M14 magazines that has the same extractor type that I broke.  Mossberg was good about replacing all of the pieces to get it working again.  I sold it shortly after and chose a Tikka to replace it due to the extractor design over the Rem. 700.
The magazines for the RAR may be cheaper and work with a Mini-30 that you have or are considering.  The extractor is inferior and you may want to have a replacement or two, as well as the spring and detent ball, as those go missing when the extractor breaks.
Just my preference based on personal experience.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By coyotesilencer:

View Quote

This post needs more love.

Also, I just saw a Ruger American in 7.62x39 in my local Sportsman's Warehouse. I considered adding a second to my stable but snagged a CZ600 Trail for less than a kitted-out chassis.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Shot some of this last week and after a couple of rounds had a failure to extract. Had to tap it out with a rod once I got home. I’ve only put a few rounds through the gun so I don’t know if it’s just an extra tight chamber, or if it was the ammo. Sadly I didn’t take a cleaning rod to the range so I had to move onto other guns. I’ll take it out and shoot some more soon.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Good to hear they function with steel cased ammo, I have a mountain of that stuff. Any reports on accuracy with Russian ammo? I wouldn't expect anything to great but anything under 4-5 MOA would be pretty good I think for steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BroomSlayer:
Good to hear they function with steel cased ammo, I have a mountain of that stuff. Any reports on accuracy with Russian ammo? I wouldn't expect anything to great but anything under 4-5 MOA would be pretty good I think for steel cased ammo.
View Quote

I just bought a well-used one with a crappy Primary Arms 4-14 scope. The muzzle was caked with carbon I couldn't remove after I took off the flash hider, but I cleaned the bore. I shot Wolf steel case for 5 shot groups at 100yds.  My groups were 1.45", 1.64", and 1.73".  I shot some old handloads of Sierra 125gr spitzers over H4198 and shot two groups.  One was 1.23" and the other was .86".  I'm thrilled with the x39 RAR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:25:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: T1NMAN] [#30]
Originally Posted By Dakota_Don:
I chose the CZ527 over the RAR due to the extractor.  The MIM extractor that the RAR uses instills zero confidence with me.
I had one of the Mossberg rifles that uses M14 magazines that has the same extractor type that I broke.  Mossberg was good about replacing all of the pieces to get it working again.  I sold it shortly after and chose a Tikka to replace it due to the extractor design over the Rem. 700.
The magazines for the RAR may be cheaper and work with a Mini-30 that you have or are considering.  The extractor is inferior and you may want to have a replacement or two, as well as the spring and detent ball, as those go missing when the extractor breaks.
Just my preference based on personal experience.
View Quote

There's no aftermarket milled replacment out there?
Seems like a milled replacment would sell well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top