Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2024 6:24:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS]
Getting ready to cut 80% lowers for some upcoming builds and wondering what people are using to finish the inside of the receivers after they have been cut?  All of the receivers are anodized on the outside.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Most just leave it as is.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 4:20:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#2]
I degreased mine and masked off the top and around the pocket. also mask the bottom around the trigger cut out enough to spray the edges of the cutout. and use matte black aluma hyde II to paint the pocket. It doesn't hold up in the pin and selector holes for me, so I don't try to paint them with it. Stuff is thick if sprayed too heavy,
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I masked off the outside and sprayed the pocket with a light coat of VHT Epoxy Satin Black, because that's what I had on hand. Just enough to cover. Then after it dried I baked it in the oven at 200 for half an hour (even though that's not what the instructions call for). It has held up very well for several years now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AccelR8:
I masked off the outside and sprayed the pocket with a light coat of VHT Epoxy Satin Black, because that's what I had on hand. Just enough to cover. Then after it dried I baked it in the oven at 200 for half an hour (even though that's not what the instructions call for). It has held up very well for several years now.
View Quote

I painted a lower or two with that during the Aluma hyde II draught. Was surprised how different the two epoxy paints seemed to be. I sanded it off two lowers I used it on because it seemed soft to me. It sanded off like a very fine powder. I didn't think the two paints were anywhere near similar. Both even smelled different to me when they were curing out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Most just leave it as is.
View Quote

This, the oils will give it all the protection it needs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:13:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AccelR8] [#7]
I agree the VHT Epoxy wouldn't be good on the outside of a lower. In fact I tried it on a barrel and didn't like it. It came right off in no time, even after the aforementioned baking, with a little solvent and steel wool.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone used this Rust-Oleum® HIGH HEAT ceramic paint? It seems like a poor mans alternative to Ceracoat. I only plan to use it to cover the bare exposed  aluminum. My concern is the baking temps. 250, then 400, then 600F.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/high-heat

Specs/instructions: https://www.rustoleum.com/-/media/41F80FD66E694423A47DB1886DCD6F57.ashx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top