Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2024 2:58:41 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of sbsing my 90s police trade in 870. My trade in was a previous a police agency  owned scattergun technologies sbs. I have 2 14in mod barrels (stored off site). 1 is the xs sight version and the other is a standard bead front sight which I intend to make similar to the xs sight barrel.

This 870 is a do everything shotgun for me just like my supernova tactical. It's my hunting, clay, training and hd gun. Seeing as I have 2 14in barrels I was going to send both to rose action sports to have the forcing cone lengthened and on one of them having it rebored to light modified.

1. Does anyone know the reason that remington choose to go with fixed mod for the majority of the police sbs barrels?

2. At the time of development did fixed mod produce the best groupings for buck and slugs.

3. What sort of groupings have you experienced with the 14in mod barrels with buck and slugs.

I know every gun and barrel is different and groups differently. I use brenneke style slugs and remington ultimate 8 pellet 00 buck

I normally run improved cylinder on my shotguns and locktite the choke in. My current 18.5in barrel is a carlson barrel with a improved cylinder choke locktited in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a similar barrel I picked up from Aim Surplus - Modified "DEA" trade in (allegedly).

I was told by one of the range officers at my range that does LEO training, that they were modified for departments that knew they were not going to be using or ordering Federal Flight Control (which seems to prefer Cyl)  and modified shoots tighter with non flight control shells.  I have found that modified does indeed hold tighter groups than IC or Cyl on my guns with a variety of standard buckshot.  Not really sure if this is true just passing on what I was told.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top