Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2021 1:39:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing. Oh, what could have been.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Ultimately, what was the issue with the latest iteration of the acr? To my eyes, it looks like the masada
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Remington Defense fast tracks development on two systems: the ACR-IC and the Remington Gas Piston (RGP). They add a metal lower, new hand guard, take away the quick change barrel, tweak the gas system, and ultimately shave something like 2-3 pounds out of the gun and make a badass carbine for submission to the Army. Not only is it lighter and better, it’s also hundreds of dollars less to manufacture. I pushed the CEO of Remington hard to let me sell it commercially, but the Defense team didn’t want to give it up to Bushmaster for fear of them totally screwing it up with cheap parts. I have one of maybe 15-20 ACR-IC rifles in public hands, and it is almost exactly what the Masada was intended to be, but it will probably never be produced again.[/B]
View Quote

Some other company now owns the results of all that work. Maybe the new owners can make a better choice than did defunct Remington.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Remington Defense fast tracks development...

They add a metal lower, new hand guard, take away the quick change barrel, tweak the gas system, and ultimately shave something like 2 - 3 pounds out of the gun and make a badass carbine for submission to the Army. Not only is it lighter and better, it’s also hundreds of dollars less to manufacture.

...it is almost exactly what the Masada was intended to be...
View Quote

If they’re saying the Masada was intended to be lighter, “better”, and cheaper, that makes sense to me.

If they’re saying the Masada was intended to have a metal handguard, metal lower, no quick change barrel, and a stock that neither folds nor has an adjustable comb, that makes a lot less sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 5:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#6]
Very informative post, thanks OP. I am looking forward, perhaps with some apprehension, to what the re-released ACR will look like now that BM is owned by Franklin Armory.

On one hand, I want it to be all people hoped it would be a decade ago when it had so much promise. On the other, I want all my spare ACR parts to be compatible with my ACR 2.0.

Hopefully those don't turn out to be mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope Franklin does well with the ACR. It always seemed like it had so much potential but was never able to realize it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Please bring RemDef's ACR back. Don't care about Bushmaster's version.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Dude... Thank you for sharing !!!!!

awesome story

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]
How did the RemDef model shave so much weight from the BM model (besides the barrel profile)?
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:
How did the RemDef model shave so much weight from the BM model (besides the barrel profile)?
View Quote

2-3 lbs may be an exaggeration.  Ounces add up though:

- Deleting quick change barrel feature removes the handle, ratchet, makes the trunnion smaller
- Lower change, pretty sure that was a magnesium alloy as well
- Barrel profile shaves a few ounches
- Non-folding stock removes a pretty big hunk of polymer
- Handguard trades off a bunch of polymer for lighter alloy

Magpul's polymer blend has always been pretty durable, but it's also fairly heavy.  Dumping it for a magnesium/aluminum alloy of comparable or even less thickness would result in savings.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Findsman:

2-3 lbs may be an exaggeration.  Ounces add up though:

- Deleting quick change barrel feature removes the handle, ratchet, makes the trunnion smaller
- Lower change, pretty sure that was a magnesium alloy as well
- Barrel profile shaves a few ounches
- Non-folding stock removes a pretty big hunk of polymer
- Handguard trades off a bunch of polymer for lighter alloy

Magpul's polymer blend has always been pretty durable, but it's also fairly heavy.  Dumping it for a magnesium/aluminum alloy of comparable or even less thickness would result in savings.
View Quote

Weight is my only complaint with the ACR. I swapped my 16" barrel and plastic handguard for a 10" barrel and RPM handguard which helped a bunch. I figured the trunnion/barrel nut was all that was left to shave weight, but I guess the polymer lower and stock are pretty heavy compared to a magnesium lower and no stock hinge.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:26:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut284] [#13]
Franklin now has Bushmaster but does that include the improved RemDef ACR? And who ended up with RemDef? Still with the rest of new Remington or somewhere else? Basically, who currently owns the rights to the improved version of the ACR?
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By gunnut284:
Franklin now has Bushmaster but does that include the improved RemDef ACR? And who ended up with RemDef? Still with the rest of new Remington or somewhere else? Basically, who currently owns the rights to the improved version of the ACR?
View Quote

Franklin has announced that they do, and they are working to re release it. No ETA yet though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top