Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2024 2:36:35 PM EDT
I'm still waiting for my Mini-14 Ranch Rifle to get to my dealer and a few questions about the included OEM Pic rail are bouncing around my head.

I have watched a couple of videos where the operator's desired optic either did not center on the mount or the ejection cutout did not allow for the mounting spacing needed.  Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so what mount gave you the problem.  If you found a solution to that particular problem please include that.

Thanks!
TheMULE
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#1]
In particular I'm wondering if there is room on the Pic rail to mount an Aimpoint T-1 Micro in front of the rear site without interfering with ejection.

Also, will an Aimpoint PRO with two rings span the Pic rail "cutout"?  Again without interfering with ejection.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
TheMULE
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:50:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
Can't answer your specific question, but many users of conventional scopes on Minis prefer to use the Ruger scope mounts in lieu of the Pic rail, if possible.  This is due to less possibility of cases striking the rail and/or scope (possibly causing ejection problems) as well as easier access to bolt should it need to be removed for cleaning.

Ruger makes more than one height/diameter set of rings, and they will exchange your OEM rings on demand.  There may be other companies that offer different height rings.

If you elect to mount a "conventional" optic over the receiver--which would not be my choice-- suggest mounting the optic via rings as low as possible, and maybe reckon on some sort of cheek riser in order to get a decent and fast cheek weld.

FWIW, after much expensive experimentation I went with a "forward-mounted" Scout type optics rail.  Never looked back.  YMMV.

@GOVT_MULE
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input!
TheMULE
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I took delivery of the Mini-14 and have had a Leupold 1-4x LPVO, an Aimpoint T-1 and a Trijicon MRO mounted on it with no problems.  The rings on the Leupold were adjusted to fit the OEM Piccy base and the two red dots fit to the rear part of the base but there was not enough rail space on the front end for them.

As a side note, I am impressed with the accuracy of the little gun.  It shoots 63 grain ammunition the best and 77 grain the least.  All bullet weights were acceptably accurate for a utility rifle.

YMMV
TheMULE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top