Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2020 6:52:23 PM EDT
Hey Team,

I have the potential opportunity to acquire an ACR in a trade. Owner claims that it runs just fine, but he hasn't shot it very much. Receiver is stamped Ilion NY and the serial number is ACR0001xxx.

How much can I learn about the rifle from that combination?
Does that plant and serial number indicate any potential problems popping up?
Of the problems that have plagued the Freedom Group ACRs, are there any that can't be reworked with the proper application of Templar Precision products?

The problems i'm aware of are the Freedom Group rust and the accuracy issues caused by the QD barrel loosening while firing. I'm pretty both of these are fixable, but wanted to double check and make sure that there aren't any other issues i'm unaware of.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Mines from the same plant with an earlier serial and has no issues. I don't believe there's anything that can't be fixed on them at this point. Worst case you got one of the rifles that has a loosening ratchet collar on the barrel and you could go to the light weight trunnion that templar makes as a replacement.   The only replacement part that I would suggest upgrading to upfront is the new style dual charging handle actuator assembly.The old style single-sided version tends to shear the roll pin with a high round count. Those are still readily available from a few online retailers though
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The Acr issues that Tim from MAC described about the Freedom group Acr's are rare issues that affected all Acr's.  The issues he was describing (loose receiver bolts, and loosening trunnion) happened on all of the manufacturing locations, not just Huntsville, Alabama built ones.

The last generation Freedom group Acr's were the best and most modern Acr's ever built to include the Remdef Acr's.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a dead platform.

Do not buy it if you are not comfortable with that.

By the way. I am not selling mine!. I like it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dave0:
It is a dead platform.

View Quote

That remains to be seen.

If Franklin makes the changes people asked BM for when the rifle first came out, and actually markets the rifle to that effect, then I think it could really elevate Franklin to a larger scale company. There are a ton of AR manufacturers, the ACR gives them an opportunity to differentiate themselves.

TBF, Bushmaster did eventually fix the complaints people had for the most part. They lowered the price to a reasonable level ($1600), came out with conversion kits, lighter profile 1:7 twist barrels, updated handguards, and fixed the CH assembly durability issues and issues with the 1st gen brass deflector. They just kind of failed to market it after they did all that for some bizarre reason.

About the only thing left to do to it was to strengthen the gas block legs, maybe add a bayo lug to it, and use a better suppressor mount for the factory FH instead of the AAC 51T. Maybe an aluminum lower for the people who asked for one that would allow them to change grips.

The rifle design has a huge amount of potential.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 2:02:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

That remains to be seen.

If Franklin makes the changes people asked BM for when the rifle first came out, and actually markets the rifle to that effect, then I think it could really elevate Franklin to a larger scale company. There are a ton of AR manufacturers, the ACR gives them an opportunity to differentiate themselves.

TBF, Bushmaster did eventually fix the complaints people had for the most part. They lowered the price to a reasonable level ($1600), came out with conversion kits, lighter profile 1:7 twist barrels, updated handguards, and fixed the CH assembly durability issues and issues with the 1st gen brass deflector. They just kind of failed to market it after they did all that for some bizarre reason.

About the only thing left to do to it was to strengthen the gas block legs, maybe add a bayo lug to it, and use a better suppressor mount for the factory FH instead of the AAC 51T. Maybe an aluminum lower for the people who asked for one that would allow them to change grips.

View Quote

I still kinda want an ACR, if the opportunity presents itself at a reasonable price down the road I shall FO. I am hopeful for new ones to be made. Who got ownership of the design at the end of it all?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:09:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't it be nice if Magpul were to buy the rights back to the ACR and drive development?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Bushmaster had no capital. Cerberus took it all while letting go of key personnel, implementing cost cutting measures, and tanking the brands before spinning off the corpses as Freedom Group. Bushmaster taking a decade to release some barrels and a few aluminum handguards for a premium-priced rifle is ridiculous in every way - especially actual time to market and product business performance metrics. Nevermind the total absence of marketing. That's just how crippled they were after Cerberus.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#8]
How much is he asking?

If I could find a good deal on one, I'd do an ACR SBR.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Reiko:

Bushmaster had no capital. Cerberus took it all while letting go of key personnel, implementing cost cutting measures, and tanking the brands before spinning off the corpses as Freedom Group. Bushmaster taking a decade to release some barrels and a few aluminum handguards for a premium-priced rifle is ridiculous in every way - especially actual time to market and product business performance metrics. Nevermind the total absence of marketing. That's just how crippled they were after Cerberus.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Reiko:

A lot of that is due to the personnel installed by Cerberus.  They had big dollar dreams of winning the Improved Carbine competition and selling a hundred thousand $2500+ wundergewehrs to the military.  I recall there being mention of an internal decree that none of the Remington Defense ACR upgrades would be used on the Bushmaster ACR.  More spehshul, more exclusive, more dollars.  It really wasn't until Cerberus loaded Remington with debt, cut them loose, and ejected all their people with their golden parachutes that they finally had the freedom internally to do what they finally did with the ACR, but then lacked the resources to really do it.  Then the debt bomb exploded, taking the company with it.

What would have happened had Bushmaster not been acquired in 2006 by Cerberus?  Would Magpul still have licensed the Masada design to a freer Bushmaster with less resources in 2008?  Would they have approached another company?  Would it have just ended up in the pile of shit that Magpul teases the industry with then smothers?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
ACR is a good gun and supported by Templar but that’s really your only shop...

Spare parts are iffy kind of like the Sig 556 guns...so be aware...

As far as the loose screws...just take them off. Apply loctite and torque to 25 in/lbs...
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#11]

That remains to be seen.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dave0:
It is a dead platform.

That remains to be seen.

According to this article, Franklin Armory did not get the ACR TDP.

https://www.guns.com/news/2021/02/15/bushmaster-announces-a-comeback

These packages included all computer models, part drawings, and CAD files. Among the guns listed in court documents were the Arm Pistol, Carbon 15, Carbon 22, and M17S. Sadly, it doesn't look like the data package for the ACR was included in the deal.

The ACR wasn't on the list of goodies that Franklin was able to salvage from the defunct Remington Outdoors company, leaving its fate up in the air.

While Franklin Armory has acquired most of the old Bushmaster's 40-year run of designs, it is not known what, if any, the new company intends to offer in the coming months. (Photo: 2013 Bushmaster catalog)

If the design is ever to return, it's on Magpul to do it - provided they aren't tired of making sunglasses and fancy shirts instead.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Apec:

If the design is ever to return, it's on Magpul to do it - provided they aren't tired of making sunglasses and fancy shirts instead.
View Quote

Franklin has taken over Bushmaster's old Facebook account and they teased back in March a pic of the ACR titled "Soon To Be Perfected..."

Attachment Attached File

All I could find digging through the bankruptcy documents was it looked like Remington-RoundHill (the new RemArms LLC) owned the ACR domains and trademarks.  But if Franklin-Bushmaster is teasing it, I'm willing to believe they'll follow through.  There's a lot of incestuous cross-licensing going on, especially around the Remington ammo business.  ACR stuff wouldn't surprise me either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Apec:

View Quote

Despite the fact that you are quoting my post from before the bankruptcy shook out,I tend to agree with you.

Franklin has been implying over social media that they'll put it back into production though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 12:10:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#14]
If they make long plastic hand guard model with a 16” barrel in actual FDE like everyone wanted, I’ll buy one.

If they make the same model as Bushmaster I’ll wish them well, but I’ll never buy one til I can get the iconic dissipator configuration.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an ACR with a Franklin Armory trigger and it has been a beast since day once. I would hands down buy another if they made a comeback.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Update: Franklin has stated on social media that they do in fact have the rights to produce the ACR and are looking to have it in production within the next two years. They placed a lot of emphasis on further development before it is released.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#17]
They need to place this on the front burner and get cracking!
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:26:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#18]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
They need to place this on the front burner and get cracking!
View Quote

Yep, I need a coyote one to go with my black one. I would probably leave the QD trunnion on that one and get a bunch of caliber kits for it, I put a Templar fixed trunnion on the one I have now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top