Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2024 4:54:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Balloo]
Okay, this is kinda a long story.  I bought the Armasight-320 and was not happy with the resolution.  I returned it to Optics Planet and then put an order in for the Armasight-640.  Before anyone responds, yes I know Optics Planet sucks when they don't have something in stock.  So after waiting a few weeks and the order continuing to get pushed out a day every day I checked, until it jumps out several weeks, I canceled my order and bought the AGM StingIR-640.  This was on Mon 1Apr.  I then ordered the Mod Armory mini rail adapter, but that wasn't going to show up till Sat.

I was going out of town to hang with some Arfcommers at wolfjflywheel ranch.  I planned on leaving on Fri 5Apr at 3pm, and the FedEx truck pulled up at 3:01pm!!!  So I had it and was able to use it in near darkness (some moon was out).  I was using it with the supplied mount on a argus mount on a bump helmet.  Yes, it is a cheap bump.  I may get a better helmet later, but so far this one isn't too bad.

Also used it on my Cyre Nightcap and it's light enough that is was very comfortable.

I love this thing!  I let others check it out and they liked it as well.  Got back into town today and installed the mini rail and set it up on the Rayvn Bridge.  Without much adjustment I was able to get decent collation with the PVS14 and the StingIR.  This was just messing around the house, I will try it out again and see if I can get it perfect.  

I blurred the image a little on the thermal on the first pic.  The lens is spotless.

I will try to figure out how to get pics with it and post them up.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
For the price point and the performance it's something that I'm seriously considering purchasing this year.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Balloo:
Okay, this is kinda a long story.  I bought the Armasight-320 and was not happy with the resolution.  I returned it to Optics Planet and then put an order in for the Armasight-640.  Before anyone responds, yes I know Optics Planet sucks when they don't have something in stock.  So after waiting a few weeks and the order continuing to get pushed out a day every day I checked, until it jumps out several weeks, I canceled my order and bought the AGM StingIR-640.  This was on Mon 1Apr.  I then ordered the Mod Armory mini rail adapter, but that wasn't going to show up till Sat.

I was going out of town to hang with some Arfcommers at wolfjflywheel ranch.  I planned on leaving on Fri 5Apr at 3pm, and the FedEx truck pulled up at 3:01pm!!!  So I had it and was able to use it in near darkness (some moon was out).  I was using it with the supplied mount on a argus mount on a bump helmet.  Yes, it is a cheap bump.  I may get a better helmet later, but so far this one isn't too bad.

Also used it on my Cyre Nightcap and it's light enough that is was very comfortable.

I love this thing!  I let others check it out and they liked it as well.  Got back into town today and installed the mini rail and set it up on the Rayvn Bridge.  Without much adjustment I was able to get decent collation with the PVS14 and the StingIR.  This was just messing around the house, I will try it out again and see if I can get it perfect.  

I blurred the image a little on the thermal on the first pic.  The lens is spotless.

https://i.imgur.com/x1TeeqK.png?1

https://i.imgur.com/Sjqqfqt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/F61tOWh.jpg

View Quote

That came out great. I was wondering if you were going to be able to run it over your left eye. The image was really good. Seems like a great unit for the price.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mah827:

That came out great. I was wondering if you were going to be able to run it over your left eye. The image was really good. Seems like a great unit for the price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/x1TeeqK.png?1

https://i.imgur.com/Sjqqfqt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/F61tOWh.jpg

The Rayvn Bridge has quite a bit of adjustability to it.

Tried to take some pics through it last night but I need some more practice with it.  Deer at 100yrds or so were clear.  Some closer at 50-60yrds were very clear.  Super happy with this unit.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Played around with the clip on function.  Appears the Aero Ultralight scope mount is a damn near perfect height.  I am able to use the x4 on the AR-223 but focus adjustments must be made at each distance.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it have a clip on mode?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Does it have a clip on mode?
View Quote

Yes.  I didn't shoot it, so I made no adjustments to the X or Y.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Should also mention it has reticle option as well.  Didn't realize it had a reticle option.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I was pretty impressed handling it. Very small and lightweight unit. I was impressed initially for the price. The competition in the thermal market right now is awesome and I'm anxious to see where the tech goes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Should also mention it has reticle option as well.  Didn't realize it had a reticle option.

View Quote

These units are so versatile, they are a true multitasker in my opinion. Great first step into the thermal game.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm kind of debating between the Armasight Sidekick and the AGM StingIR-640 right now.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Played around with the clip on function.  Appears the Aero Ultralight scope mount is a damn near perfect height.  I am able to use the x4 on the AR-223 but focus adjustments must be made at each distance.

https://i.imgur.com/fuav6rr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UDfDXSj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AhQOZNa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MFfRBSL.jpg

View Quote

FYI
The ADM flip to side mount sits the optic at the same height as the factory mount. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Solid thread.

How does the Sting perform as a stand alone scope vs dedicated units?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Onehorsefarmer:
Solid thread.

View Quote

I’ve not had a chance to try mine stand alone yet. Only as a clip on (my intended use) plus messing around with helmet mounted.
Maybe others can chime in with their experiences. I think Hop did a video on it a while back.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#14]
My assumption would be the Sting might leave something to be desired in regards to durabilty as a stand alone vs dedicated scopes. I have zero experience with the HMTs on the market.

Ive been a 384 Bering and Agm user and looking to upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Damon_23:

I’ve not had a chance to try mine stand alone yet. Only as a clip on (my intended use) plus messing around with helmet mounted.
Maybe others can chime in with their experiences. I think Hop did a video on it a while back.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Damon_23:
Solid thread.

Same here.  I've used it more with the helmet.  I will be hitting the range soon and try it out as a clip on.  The helmet mount it comes with is pretty good as far as adjustment.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Same here.  I've used it more with the helmet.  I will be hitting the range soon and try it out as a clip on.  The helmet mount it comes with is pretty good as far as adjustment.

View Quote

Do you have an opinion on the 24° fov of the Sidekick vs the 17° fov of the Sting for head mount?

My understanding is the Sting has a better image at the cost of fov.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#17]
FOV through the acog/stingIR640 at 100 yards for reference. Backstop is two railroad ties wide, so approx 16’. TA31 should have about a 37’ FOV at 100 yards. Losing a little. Sorry for the potato pic. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Do you have an opinion on the 24° fov of the Sidekick vs the 17° fov of the Sting for head mount?

My understanding is the Sting has a better image at the cost of fov.
View Quote

I knew I would lose some, but the image quality was worth the trade off.  I am still interested in looking through or maybe buying a Sidekick 640.

Lol, just dropped $9000 on a new house AC so that will have to wait.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#19]
These are really nice.  I went with the RH25 over this simply for the recoil rating.  If they could put a .308 recoil rating on this i would have opted for this instead 100%
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Balloo] [#20]
So using clip on mode, I was able to shift the X and Y to align the PVS14 to collate the image.  Now they are dam near perfect overlay. So I am right eye dominant and with the X Y adjustments, the thermal window is smaller and shifted over some.  However with the left eye non dominate, there is no perceivable shrinking of the thermal image.  So looking at my dogs, I get a smaller box that pops thermal while everything around it and the thermal image itself has the white/blue hue of the night vision.

Fucking cool!

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Am I wrong or the Sidekicks can’t function as a clip on while the Stings can and even include a high mount?? Or have I just not searched hard enough?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By deputygadget:
Am I wrong or the Sidekicks can’t function as a clip on while the Stings can and even include a high mount?? Or have I just not searched hard enough?
View Quote

I looked at the manual, online, and didn’t see any mention of adjusting X,Y axis so it doesn’t look like it.

The mount that comes with the StingIR is not what I would call a high mount, it’s 15.45 mm from top of rail to top of the mount. For reference it’s shorter than the Larue LT660 aimpoint mount.

There is a aimpoint adaptor mount and it does work with the Midwest Industries, Aimpount and Larue aimpoint mounts. (Those are the mounts I personally have to test with.)

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

For a short time I did have a sidekick 320.  It does have the X and Y adj, but doesn't say it's recoil rated and no mount option.  The StingIR comes with the mount.  I have it pictured earlier in this thread.  Still haven't shot that setup yet.  I recorded the X and Y and reset it back to 0.  Once I shoot it and make adjustments, I will note those as well.

I used the dual setup last night walking my dogs in the woods.  The bridged setup is heavier than I remembered.  Does great on helmet, and does okay with Crye Nitecap, but I need to put a nape setup on the nitecap.    I did roughly 1hr 20min with each dog and switched between head mounts.

Added a new critter to the "spotted" list.  I saw an armadillo last night.  Popped on thermal, didn't even see him under NV.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

Isn't Chapter 4.4 what you are looking for? It only mentions shifting the image to collimate it with a night vision monocular on your other eye, but the result should be same (I think).
https://armasight.com/content/manuals/Armasight%20-%20Sidekick%20Manual.pdf
• Margins
Shifts the image on the display left/right and up/down. This feature is used to aid in visual alignment when pairing a Sidekick with a night vision monocular.
To adjust the Margins; highlight either the Horizontal Margin or the Vertical Margin, and then press B2 to select the desired margin direction. Once the margin direction has been selected, use B1 and B3 to adjust. Once the desired margin adjustment has been made, press and hold B2 to deselect the margin direction selection.
B1 = +/Left/Up
B3 = -/Right/Down

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top