Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2024 2:48:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: caduckgunner]
I picked up a set of ANVIS-9 googles, and I really hate the ball detent mounting system. Right now I am leaning towards the Nocturn Industries UANVB "KATANA" housing, unless I can find a killer deal on a used RNGV housing. Also, do I want the LEMO connection for a battery pack? Or just run off the CR123? I'm not some Tier 87 operator, just some mid 40's old guy who lives in the desert and can shoot at night. Is there any other housings I should be considering?

Side question. It looks like  PVS-14 eye cups will fit the ANVIS-9. Can someone please confirm? Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Battery packs are great since they take the place off a counter weight, it give you extended operation, you have the ability to run AA batteries and having the option is always a plus if you decide to sell it later. I bought my BNVDs years ago from JRH and chose not to go with a battery pack because of the on board AA battery and I did not need the extended run time for what I use my NODs for. If my binos did not have the ability to run an on board AA battery then I would have chose the battery pack option.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:

If you want a full swap over where you can re-use the lenses - we have some RNVG anvis housings in stock.

Otherwise, most housings are made for PVS-14 objective lenses so you'll need to factor that cost in.

I recommend having someone do it for you unless you're familiar with disassembling/assembling and DIY collimating. We could do the swap for you. ARFCOM discounts apply
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:
Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
I picked up a set of ANVIS-9 googles, and I really hate the ball detent mounting system. Right now I am leaning towards the Nocturn Industries UANVB "KATANA" housing, unless I can find a killer deal on a used RNGV housing. Also, do I want the LEMO connection for a battery pack? Or just run off the CR123? I'm not some Tier 87 operator, just some mid 40's old guy who lives in the desert and can shoot at night. Is there any other housings I should be considering?

Side question. It looks like  PVS-14 eye cups will fit the ANVIS-9. Can someone please confirm? Thanks.

If you want a full swap over where you can re-use the lenses - we have some RNVG anvis housings in stock.

Otherwise, most housings are made for PVS-14 objective lenses so you'll need to factor that cost in.

I recommend having someone do it for you unless you're familiar with disassembling/assembling and DIY collimating. We could do the swap for you. ARFCOM discounts apply

This is my suggestion. Relic Raptor Solutions did the Anvis RNVG conversion from an older Anvis housing I had. Very happy with the results. This would be the most cost effective way to go since you can reuse all the glass and tubes. Get the housing with a Lemo port.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]
About how much did it cost for the swap?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ak4784:
About how much did it cost for the swap?
View Quote

I paid right around $1500 for the swap with the housing, labor, and shipping.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:

I paid right around $1500 for the swap with the housing, labor, and shipping.
View Quote

Not bad. I have a nice ANVIS that I really like. Sometime down the road I will have it swapped into a better housing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I second what Will says. Run the Anvis till you break it, if that happens. The Anvis are a good bit more durable than some people would have you believe.

I used to make a PAS reinforcement piece that epoxied onto the bridge. I'm no longer in the business but I've had many people tell me those pieces absolutely saved their goggles.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: caduckgunner] [#10]
I second what Will says. Run the Anvis till you break it, if that happens. The Anvis are a good bit more durable than some people would have you believe.

I used to make a PAS reinforcement piece that epoxied onto the bridge. I'm no longer in the business but I've had many people tell me those pieces absolutely saved their goggles.
View Quote
Is this the kit? https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Another-ANVIS-question-Up-armor-plate-for-PAS-/18-546946/

Any idea where I can still get one? I can't find anything on ebay. Or hell, if you have the dimensions sketched out on a napkin, I'll buy that from you
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:41:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wjoutlaw] [#11]
Those were my kits in the archived discussions.

I don't plan on making anymore since I sold my mill/tools, and I don't have my shop. I did those as a side gig/hobby.

We put our house up for sale the first of this month and we're already in escrow.  We're one step closer to the RV life.

As far as where to get a kit, I'm not sure. You can check with the ebay seller in that discussion or contact Derek over at Relic Raptor Solutions. The last 10 I made were sent to him.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I have one of your PAS reinforcement plates on my ANVIS already lol. It is nice to have on there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ak4784] [#13]
Is this the kit? https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Another-ANVIS-question-Up-armor-plate-for-PAS-/18-546946/

Any idea where I can still get one? I can't find anything on ebay. Or hell, if you have the dimensions sketched out on a napkin, I'll buy that from you
View Quote

@caduckgunner

That was my thread and pics lol. I got my reinforcement plate off Ebay. I can probably find the seller if I dig into my emails. Let me know if you have any questions. I can try to help.

ETA- I see I mentioned the eBay seller in that thread Gearnsuch or whatever it is.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ak4784:

@caduckgunner

That was my thread and pics lol. I got my reinforcement plate off Ebay. I can probably find the seller if I dig into my emails. Let me know if you have any questions. I can try to help.

ETA- I see I mentioned the eBay seller in that thread Gearnsuch or whatever it is.
View Quote
Thanks. I searched for a store on ebay under that name and nothing came up. Let me know if you find the sellers info please.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I found the seller by searching through Google. For some reason I couldn’t find him searching through Ebay. Not sure why that is. Anyway, I looked and it doesn’t seem like he has the PAS up armor plates for sale anymore. You might message him and see if he has any not listed maybe.

Otherwise if needed. I could take some measurements and take some detailed pics of mine for you and you could probably make one fairly easy. Somewhere I saw that a guy had made one out of some 1” 90deg aluminum trim.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks. I sent him a message. Weird it can't be found through eBay.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:48:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chosos] [#17]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:34:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I personally love my ANVIS set up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:54:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: caduckgunner] [#20]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:

What specifically do you dislike about the ball detent?

Both the ANVS and BNVS mounting systems have their own fair share of advantages and disadvantages, and there is not one "best" answer, despite what many will claim, but its always amusing to me when I see folks blindly dump on ANVS systems and ANVIS goggles, usually without having actually spent much time using them, because the internet told them that they sucked and are too fragile to do even breathe on.

OP, not saying this is necessarily the case for you--perhaps you do have specific knowledge or experiences or requirements that inform your opinions, I'm more making a broad generalization as a means to point out what many have already noted--that there isn't necessarily an immediate "requirement" under most circumstances, to just immediately swap out an ANVIS housing.

Now, on the one hand--I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't if that's what you want, and that's what meets your needs, but based on your own self-description of: "I'm not some Tier 87 operator, just some mid 40's old guy who lives in the desert and can shoot at night," I don't really see anything to suggest that a standard ANVIS wouldn't meet your needs.

I spent years using the AN/AVS-6(v)3 (rotary wing / translational objective / "Army" variant of the AN/AVS-9 "ANVIS-9") as a ground goggle prior to joining TNVC, and without a reinforced PAS at that, and they remain one of my favorite goggle systems.

As to your side question--it depends on the eyepiece lenses. If you for some reason have the old old 18mm eyepiece lens assemblies, than no. Definitely not.

If you have 25mm eyepieces, then "maybe."

In the past, the ANVIS eyepiece assembly and AN/PVS-14 eyepiece assemblies were different part numbers. The lens cells themselves were the same, as was the vast majority of the assembly, however ANVIS eyepieces did not have a threaded portion to accept the accessory eyecup adapters to which the eyecups attach, as they were not considered necessary or useful in an aviation application.

AB Night Vision and possibly some others did at one point at least, sell glue-in threaded adapters for ANVIS eyepiece lens assemblies that would allow you to use the eyecup adapter rings, however to be honest, I'm not 100% sure if they still do.

Part of the reason that I'm sure is that oh... I wanna say around... ten years ago now? Before Army aviation adopted White Phosphor, but when all AN/AVS-6s were being updated by MWO to (v)3 standards (lobed objective lenses), the standard was changed so that both the ANVIS and AN/PVS-14 would use the same P/N / eyepiece lens and diopter adjustment assembly, which included the threaded section for the accessory ring to attach--it simply was not attached / included with ANVIS systems.

So depending on when your ANVIS system was built / whom it was assembled by / out of new parts or surplus parts, they may or may not have the ability to accept standard PVS-14 eyecups and/or other eyepiece accessories (like demist shields, etc.).

~Augee
View Quote

@tnvc_Augee

I have had the ball detents pop out of place and jam in the mount twice on me in the last 2 weeks. In all honestly it's probably because I have what I assume is a clone mount (it came with the goggles). Once it's jams in the mount, I have to use a screwdriver to pry it out. Depressing the ball detents with the lever doesn't help. That said for now I am going to run the ANVIS as. I bought a up-armor kit and a wrap. Once the MH-1's come out for ANVIS, I will probably buy one of those just for the fact that I can seperate them and run 2 single units if need be.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Where did you get the uparmor kit? It's interesting to see if there are any left that were purchased that weren't installed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Where did you get the uparmor kit? It's interesting to see if there are any left that were purchased that weren't installed.
View Quote
Relicraptor in IG. He said I got the last one, but that he was trying to get more made.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Relicraptor in IG. He said I got the last one, but that he was trying to get more made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's who bought the last remaining stock I had made.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:33:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#24]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Here is the mount. Not sure what it is as they threw it in with the ANVIS. I do believe part of the issue is not having a lot of experience with the ball detent mount. I had a original Rhino mount with my pvs-7's, do this is a big change.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#27]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:37:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Augee] [#28]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#29]
+1 vote for AB Storm mount. I got mine(in my pic above) from TNVC, I also got the AB LPBP-GO from them. Personally, I think this is the absolute best budget bino NV set up you can get. I love it.

The Storm mount is great because it is very well built and seems very secure. It would take a hell of a smack/impact to knock the ANVIS off the mount. With the PAS reinforcement plate I am not to concerned about that breaking. The only concern I really have now is the individual tubes breaking off of their connection at the PAS. So far I have not came across any mention of that happening to people(knock on wood, I wont be the first lol)
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to run this mount (as longs as it keeps functioning) for a few months and see if I like this style or not. Then I will either upgrade the mount and change the housing and mount type.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:17:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chosos] [#31]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top