Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2021 11:47:59 AM EDT
I have a Rem 870 that I had converted to an AOW back when I lived in a state that did not allow SBSs. I've since moved to a less restrictive state and would like to take that AOW and make it an SBS via Form 1. Anybody know of this is possible? FWIW, the AOW was done on a Form 4.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Yup, just form 1 it as normal.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
new stamp. May as well keep it an AOW and do something else with SBS if you have more donors. Then you got options.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
new stamp. May as well keep it an AOW and do something else with SBS if you have more donors. Then you got options.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Yup, just form 1 it as normal.
View Quote

Since this is already on a Form 4 are there any nuances that should be considered when submitting the Form 1?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]
May as well keep it an AOW and do something else with SBS if you have more donors. Then you got options.
View Quote
+1

AOWs don't need a 5320.20 to travel interstate, but SBSs do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
+1

AOWs don't need a 5320.20 to travel interstate, but SBSs do.
View Quote

Eh, I have no intention of traveling with a shotgun. Handguns and rifles fill that roll better anyway.

The AOW was cool when it was the only NFA item I was able to own. Now, not so much. It really needs a stock to be usable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
If it’s even slightly collectible or cool I’d sell the AOW and form 1 a different gun but I understand the simplicity of just working with what you have on hand. Seems like a waste to have gone through the wait and paperwork just to do it again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KM6:

Since this is already on a Form 4 are there any nuances that should be considered when submitting the Form 1?
View Quote
They won't know or care.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KM6] [#10]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
If it’s even slightly collectible or cool I’d sell the AOW and form 1 a different gun but I understand the simplicity of just working with what you have on hand. Seems like a waste to have gone through the wait and paperwork just to do it again.
View Quote

Just a regular old Remington 870, nothing special.

If I convert the AOW I'm out $200 plus the cost of a buttstock but it will allow me to get use out of an otherwise useless gun. If I keep the AOW and SBS another gun I'm still out $200 plus the cost of a gun and the AOW will most likely collect dust in the back of my safe in perpetuity.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
What's wrong with selling it?

Someone might actually want to buy it in-state, and of course the transfer tax is only $5.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
What's wrong with selling it?

Someone might actually want to buy it in-state, and of course the transfer tax is only $5.
View Quote

Nothing in particular. I may explore that option.

So the tax stamp cost would stay at $5, even when transferring between individuals?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
So the tax stamp cost would stay at $5, even when transferring between individuals?
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

To clarify…it’s not “on a Form 4”. That’s just the last form it transferred on. The next transaction won’t care about the last one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

To clarify…it’s not “on a Form 4”. That’s just the last form it transferred on. The next transaction won’t care about the last one.

It's somewhat common terminology. I usually hear it in regards to a gun being on a Form 3 ready to transfer out of state.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:15:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Homeinvader] [#19]
View Quote

I’d follow this advice.

In Form 1ing an existing AOW into an SBS, you are hurting the resale value and killing demand of the AOW.

AOWs transfer for $5, so that alone makes them more desireable on the market.  

Remington 870-based AOWs are not exactly super-common since the Title I host gun needs to be a virgin receiver or a stockless model.

As you stated, several states allow AOW but not SBS, so your gun as an AOW would be open to more buyers.

And any shotgun can be turned into an SBS easily on a Form 1, so what would make someone want to buy yours on a Form 4 (or 2 Form 4s)?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Homeinvader:

I’d follow this advice.

In Form 1ing an existing AOW into an SBS, you are hurting the resale value and killing demand of the AOW.

AOWs transfer for $5, so that alone makes them more desireable on the market.  

Remington 870-based AOWs are not exactly super-common since the Title I host gun needs to be a virgin receiver or a stockless model.

As you stated, several states allow AOW but not SBS, so your gun as an AOW would be open to more buyers.

And any shotgun can be turned into an SBS easily on a Form 1, so what would make someone want to buy yours on a Form 4 (or 2 Form 4s)?
View Quote

You bring up some good points, although I think the market growth of the "firearm" class of shotguns has actually diminished the value of true AOWs. Why go through the registration process if I can just go pick up a Shockwave over the counter?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Why go through the registration process if I can just go pick up a Shockwave over the counter?
View Quote
Because the gun itself is (and can legally be) shorter in length.

And if you've already got a bunch of NFA registered firearms, what's one more going to hurt?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Because the gun itself is (and can legally be) shorter in length.

And if you've already got a bunch of NFA registered firearms, what's one more going to hurt?
View Quote

Yes, but shorter doesn't automatically make it better or more desirable. And barrier to entry matters regardless of previous NFA ownership status. This is starting to veer a little off topic though. IBTL
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#23]
That’s why I like them. If I’m going less than 18” it’s going to be short short

Or Super Short

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
That’s why I like them. If I’m going less than 18” it’s going to be short short

Or Super Short

View Quote

I see what you did there
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:39:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DashDot] [#25]
I know this is an old thread but seems like knowledgeable folks can chime in here.

I have a tac-14. It used to be an option to have a sb folder and pistol brace.

That went away and now it’s just the sb brace.

Could i $5 AOW it and add a folder, leave the brace on, and add a vfg?

Comeon thread revival.

ETA: looks like it’s $200 to go that route.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#26]
Originally Posted By Dash_ISpy:
Could i $5 AOW it and add a folder, leave the brace on, and add a vfg?
ETA: looks like it's $200 to go that route.
View Quote
Yes, it's $200 to Form 1 a new AOW or SBS, so if you're going the F1 route you might as well make a SBS.

If your buddy, the local 07/02 SOT, will F2 your new AOW for you, and then you pay the $5 F4 transfer, that'd be the best way to have a new (or just newly registered) AOW.

(It'll count against your buddy's 50-gun annual FET exemption, so if he manufactures 50 or more guns that year, he'll have to pay the Federal Excise Tax on all of them.)
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, it's $200 to Form 1 a new AOW or SBS, so if you're going the F1 route you might as well make a SBS.

If your buddy, the local 07/02 SOT, will F2 your new AOW for you, and then you pay the $5 F4 transfer, that'd be the best way to have a new (or just newly registered) AOW.

(It'll count against your buddy's 50-gun annual FET exemption, so if he manufactures more than 50 guns that year, he'll have to pay the Federal Excise Tax on all of them.)
View Quote

Right on. Thank you for the detailed response. Much appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top