Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2023 8:21:37 PM EDT
Seriously. Been wanting one forever. Finally managed to cross the finish line. Picked up my RN50 a couple days ago. Sprung for the 36" barrel and bipod, and I've had a stock for it sitting in a box for more than 10 years.

I know, I know.... But I figure I should be fine so long as I refrain from purchasing ebay SLAP rounds or using ammo I find in jungle caches.

Last thing on the list before I can go out and play are a scope and rings. My understanding is that .50s are particular about what scopes they'll play with without destroying them.

I understand that Arfcom does a poor job of being or understanding poor, but can any of you guys recommend a scope that won't cost more than my car? I recognize that I'm probably not looking at a $200 scope, but how far up the ladder do I need to climb, given that I'm (hopefully) not taking this beast into combat, or shooting hundred round range sessions.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't have to get very far up the line with Vortex the last time I asked about one for my RN50.

Haven't shot it since I bought the rifle so I never bought the scope.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Nowadays it seems like most are fine on 50's. Last time I sent emails to a few companies and I think they basically said they all are rated for 50's.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:16:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Houlds] [#3]
I have a 3.5-14x Leupold Mk4 on my M82 that I found used for $450. Midway currently has them on sale for around $600 depending on the day. I also shot it with a Sig Sauer Sierra 6 2-12x with no issues when I first got it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:25:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#4]
I have an M82A1 and put a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25X on it and have zero complaints.  I really like the scope (around $600) and could justify that on it because 1, it's isn't a precision rifle and 2, it isn't one that I'll be shooting very often...  so putting a $2K scope on it doesn't seem prudent.

In fact, I like that scope so much, I ended up getting another one for my Wilson Combat AR308.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 6:25:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOTHERmaninblack] [#5]
First off, thanks for the suggestions so far.

Second, I'm amazed at how well the folks in Armory read the OP and took it seriously. In GD, or even team, I'd be 2 pages in by now dealing with "the scope from Heat" and suggestions for $5000 scopes. .

I think I may need to dip in here more often.

It's probably going to be a couple more months before I can choose and order a scope, so keep the suggestions coming, please. I'd like to purchase once and regret none(ce).
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 of the original Tasco Super Snipers. The 10x lives on my 82A1, the 16x lives on my M95. Booth have had a bunch of rounds through them and still track very well and return to my 200 yd zero.

I got both of them from SWFA.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:00:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrantS] [#7]
I was about to make the same thread!  

I finally acquired another .50 (Barrett M82!!).   It came with a Leupold VX6 HD 2-12 on it.   Never fired with it on.

I'm a bit hesitant.  Leupolds a good name, with good warrenty, but I've seen two VX5 failures and am thinking I may not want the VX6 exposed to .50 recoil.   Besides which the reticle is so fine it's difficult to see against a dark background.

Actually thinking of throwing a 1-10 of some sort on it if I can find one with good enough eye relief.  Or similar 2-12,etc.     It's more of a anti-material focus for mine, the Barretts not exactly a long-range sniper platform anyway from what I've read.  a thousand is absolutely as far as I'll shoot it with most shots being 2-600 yards/.

Hit send too soon edit:  Was thinking of throwing on a Trijicon Credo possibly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]
What were the VX5 failures? Back in the day the Mark 4 fixed power scopes were on the short list of stuff that holds up to anything. Think I still have my 16X and it might end up on the Barrett. My first 99 came with the Bushnell Elite 3200 10X and it was a good fit. Somebody should do an updated version of the Swarovski Barrett scope. Simple christmas tree bdc that went to 2K I think.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrantS] [#9]
One was a wandering zero.  Was on a .300 mag.   The Other one flat out lost/wouldnt hold a zero and scattered shots.  That was straight out of the box so it's possible it was a return or something.  I'm not sure but both were from different shooters that actually shoot and know how to troubleshoot so I trust them.

Ironic you mention the MK 4's.  I have a bunch of leupolds myself with zero issue.  But I did have a MK 4 that wouldnt hold zero.  Was on a FAL.

My first .50 had a Bushnell Elite fixed 10X.    A BOHICA AR upper.  My last one was an Armalite that had a SWFA SS 12X on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mk-211] [#10]
Check here, you'll be able to find a scope that fits your budget. http://swfa-ss.com/

The 10X42 mildot is $300 and will work fine on your setup. That or look for a red dot, like a Holosun.

Friend has one (Holosun) on a 50 upper, makes the setup light. Hitting targets at 400 yards was easy offhand.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:45:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bbqncigars] [#11]
Vortex Venom 5-25X on my GM6 Lynx has held up so far about four hundred rounds.  Long recoil action makes for a rather robust firing impulse to the shoulder and scope.

eta: home range 200yds max
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#13]
SWFA "super sniper" is what you seek.  Fixed power but holds up well to the 50.  I have a 20x on my psl and that is a violent action.  No issues.  Clear glass in several mag options with stellar reputation at supermarket prices.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an ior valdada on the semi auto, held up well to several hundred rounds

Put a vortex diamondback on the single shot.  Held up to hundreds of shots.

I talked to vortex about the 50, they said it would handle it,but if it didn't just send it back and they would send a new one to me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I'm amazed at how well the folks in Armory read the OP and took it seriously. In GD I'd be 2 pages in by now dealing with "the scope from Heat"
View Quote

GD is filled with millionaires with 850 credit scores, no debt, 4,000 square foot house on the water, 20 year old wife that was a Ukrainian movie star and world record holders of anything you can imagine. Their part time jobs are being Medal of Honor winners.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Picked up my RN50 a few months ago but still need a scope and to shoot it.

Honestly it’s a test bed for how much I like shooting a 50 and how often I’ll go to a range where I can shoot it.  If I really get good use from it, I tell myself I’ll save up for an M82, that’s my grail rifle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RadarVectors:

Honestly it’s a test bed for how much I like shooting a 50 and how often I’ll go to a range where I can shoot it.  If I really get good use from it, I tell myself I’ll save up for an M82, that’s my grail rifle.
View Quote

I'd never heard of the RN50 before.

That's an odd-looking duck, isn't it?

What kind of accuracy is one advertised to provide?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#18]
It should be capable of 1 MOA, it's basically a barrel with a stock attached.

With a higher quality round than ball ammo, it should do better than 1 MOA.

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RadarVectors:

Honestly it's a test bed for how much I like shooting a 50 and how often I'll go to a range where I can shoot it.  If I really get good use from it, I tell myself I'll save up for an M82, that's my grail rifle.
View Quote
Range? What is this range thing you speak of?

My club doesn't allow .50s, even on the 900 yard range. I think it may have something to do with the interstate being a mile and a half or so past the berm.

If/when I get to shoot this thing, I'm looking at a 90 minute drive, uphill both ways, followed by a three mile hike through the woods back to where I'll have a clear valley and room to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mk-211:
It should be capable of 1 MOA, it's basically a barrel with a stock attached.

With a higher quality round than ball ammo, it should do better than 1 MOA.

View Quote
I'm hopin'. I got the 36" nitrided heavy barrel. Forearm is basically a free float, and the bipod is beefy as hell. My biggest concern will be waiting for my heart rate to normalize after lugging that chonky boi all the way out to where I can shoot it.

If I can get 3 or 4moa out of ball, I think I'd be comfortable calling it an MOA rifle with good ammo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
Range? What is this range thing you speak of?

My club doesn't allow .50s, even on the 900 yard range. I think it may have something to do with the interstate being a mile and a half or so past the berm.

If/when I get to shoot this thing, I'm looking at a 90 minute drive, uphill both ways, followed by a three mile hike through the woods back to where I'll have a clear valley and room to shoot.
View Quote

Lol, I hear you there. My local 900 range won’t allow .50 either.  I’ve got some private land to shoot on with a little arranging or I can drive up to my buddys place in SC where he’s got more than enough room.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Proper carry method for a .50 rifle.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:25:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ggllggll] [#23]
@TheOTHERmaninblack

Hey, if you look on ebay right now - there are two swfa super snipers listed in the 200 price range.

I hear you btw, I wanted a 50 for 20 years before I finally decided I was sick of watching videos of them and finally just bought the one I always wanted.

The SS scope was still a suggestion back then, and I was considering it again when I finally got my M82A1.  In the end I went with the ATACR after a thread just like yours I started.

2 years later I still haven't shot it, but it feels good having one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm still thinking I'll try a Trijicon.

The SWFA SS are good.  I've had three on my .50's.  But the eyebox is really tight.  Not close to the gun, good eye relief but you have a very small range of forward and back where you have a full picture.

Likewise I hate non-locking external turrets.  I have had them move, even on my .50's during transport.

Considering the Busnell Elite 10X was the original Barret scope I'm half thinking of throwing a Bushnell Elite 4-12 I have one it
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 3:43:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
I have 2 of the original Tasco Super Snipers. The 10x lives on my 82A1, the 16x lives on my M95. Booth have had a bunch of rounds through them and still track very well and return to my 200 yd zero.

I got both of them from SWFA.
View Quote

I have to agree with you. Have one and after a "few" rounds, it still lives.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:06:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I ended up putting a strike eagle 1-6 on my barrett.  

I’ll be curious to see how it holds up. It’s zeroed and held up to 40 rounds so we’ll see from here on out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Another happy Super Sniper fixed 10x on my .50 owner.  I shoot it like once every 3 years when friends bring their kids over.   It’s sufficient for Minute of pumpkin.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 5:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#29]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

View Quote

I'm not a fan of the RN-50.  Odd looking duck?.....yeah...and an odd amount of redundancy that isn't there in my opinion.  A screw cap chamber backed up by two fragile vertical pillars is no place to put your face and hope for the best when it comes to any centerfire rifle......let alone a 50BMG.  

Before anyone flames me for this, I had reservations about the RN-50 long before Mr. Steroids paid the price for shooting one.  It was a bad idea before it came out and it's still a bad idea today.  I can't believe that a guy as smart as Mark Serbu would risk his reputation on such a design.  I'd sooner put my face behind a Hesse or other shell holder design before the RN-50.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:

I'm not a fan of the RN-50.  Odd looking duck?.....yeah...and an odd amount of redundancy that isn't there in my opinion.  A screw cap chamber backed up by two fragile vertical pillars is no place to put your face and hope for the best when it comes to any centerfire rifle......let alone a 50BMG.  

Before anyone flames me for this, I had reservations about the RN-50 long before Mr. Steroids paid the price for shooting one.  It was a bad idea before it came out and it's still a bad idea today.  I can't believe that a guy as smart as Mark Serbu would risk his reputation on such a design.  I'd sooner put my face behind a Hesse or other shell holder design before the RN-50.
View Quote

Do you have engineering experience? Serbu seems like a goofy dude but also pretty intelligent as well as extremely experienced with firearm design and manufacturing. I can't imagine he didn't do the math.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

The RN50 argument was done to death back when the kaboom first happened. It was done and over when I ordered the rifle, and I now have the rifle in my possession. This thread is about glass, not shitting on the RN50.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 3:59:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#32]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Do you have engineering experience? Serbu seems like a goofy dude but also pretty intelligent as well as extremely experienced with firearm design and manufacturing. I can't imagine he didn't do the math.
View Quote

The fact is that Scott from KB took one of the pillars in his chest/neck area and nearly died.  If he was shooting the same cartridge in a bolt rifle, like the AR50, that would not have happened.  Sure..there would have been damage to the rifle but not fragmentation like the RN-50 kaboom.  I doubt that anyone would debate the fact that a rifle with a rotating bolt with locking lugs is not a better/safer design than a threaded cap with two potential projectiles behind it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Going back to the OP`s first post,

SWFA has a Tasco Super Sniper scope that I bought that will and does stand up to the abuse of the Big Boy. Mine hasn`t broken so far. :)

Wasn`t expensive, is durable and has the Mil-dot sights.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a gen1 vortex viper pst on my m107a1, a few hundred rounds in and still works fine. Midway has the updated viper for $650 or so right now.

Also the rn50 is of sound design, those who argue otherwise have a smooth brain.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top