Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2023 11:47:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bco175]
I've used alumahyde 2 rattle cans many, many tmes over the last 20 years or so.  I know the routine.  I always warm the can in water, warm the part in the oven, and SHAKE THE LIVING HELL out of the can for a total of at least 10 minutes.  Usually 15 minutes.  I've never had an issue with it laying down a nice finish.

I went through my routine with a recently purchased can. It sprayed chunks.  Got it cleaned out, Warmed it more, shook it more, more chunks. I sprayed half the can before it produced an acceptable mist.  Started spraying the workpiece, it put out mist for a few seconds, then more chunks. I gave up on it.

I called Brownells and spoke to their aluma hyde tech guy.  He said this is a know problem and right now they cannot figure it out. He said he could send me another can, but it would probably do the same thing.  I asked for his recommendation on how to proceed. He told me to use cerakote or gunkote.

Beware, if you try to use current alumahyde 2, you will probably get to strip the project again and start over.

Brownells will still sell you the product, knowing this.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Aside from the issue with the Aluma Hyde, would a different brand of an epoxy paint possibly work for your application?
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to sandblast and then spray gunkote with my hvlp
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:03:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#3]
Last can of the flat black I got you could not spray it with the nozzle that came on the can it was so hard to push down it would try to bend to the side. I was able to use some of the old spare nozzles I had ordered a couple of years ago. Still was overly hard to push but the spare nozzles I had did not bend. Starting spraying I had to push down on the nozzle pointed away from the part to keep from blasting a thick spot when it would finally go down and start the spray.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Not as bad as what OP posted but did two guns recently and had 2 bad colors and one that sprayed just fine. Cans all out in front of electric heater and shoke 3-4 mins at a time for a few hours. Probably 20 mins or more of shaking per can total.

Alumahyde 2 came from amazon btw
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]
damn, I just got 5 cans in the mail today.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:39:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Baron_Von_Savant] [#6]
Let me just start by apologizing on behalf of individual that gave you that information, it was incorrect. As the actual Aluma-Hyde II Tech Guy, I can confirm that there are currently no known issues with Aluma-Hyde II and that's not to say you didn't get a bad can, obviously you did and Brownells will take care of it. I use Aluma-Hyde II straight from inventory almost weekly in the Brownells studio and can assure you that Brownells is not knowingly sending out bad product to customers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Baron_Von_Savant:
Let me just start by apologizing on behalf of individual that gave you that information, it was incorrect. As the actual Aluma-Hyde II Tech Guy, I can confirm that there are currently no known issues with Aluma-Hyde II and that's not to say you didn't get a bad can, obviously you did and Brownells will take care of it. I use Aluma-Hyde II straight from inventory almost weekly in the Brownells studio and can assure you that Brownells is not knowingly sending out bad product to customers.
View Quote

This means that one Brownells employee is lying.  Which one is it?  Why would the employee come up with such a well crafted story and then tell me to use another product?

The product in that particular can was crap.
I was offered a new can (which he said may have the same problem) until I told him I purchased that particular can on Amazon.  Then I was told to deal with the Amazon seller.  
If it was simply a "bad can", emblazoned with the Brownells name on it, I would think Brownells would make it right, not concoct a wild excuse and then refuse to help me.
No biggie, life's too short and I have gun kote to spray now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bco175:

This means that one Brownells employee is lying.  Which one is it?  Why would the employee come up with such a well crafted story and then tell me to use another product?

I was offered a new can (which he said may have the same problem) until I told him I purchased that particular can on Amazon.  Then I was told to deal with the Amazon seller.  
If it was simply a "bad can", emblazoned with the Brownells name on it, I would think Brownells would make it right, not concoct a wild excuse and then refuse to help me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@Brownells_ar15

What is the deal here?
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Brownells would have no control over how fresh or used/unused the inventory from a random amazon seller is, which is why I can see them saying that you need to deal with the dealer.

As to how you've described the actual performance problems of the can, it sounds just like a can that's been used once for a brief/small job and then shelved. Brownells sells clean out spray heads which are pretty much a must have if you are reusing cans that have set much of anytime after being used. You also really need to shake these cans prior to use, new or partially used.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/paint-metal-prep/paint-finishing/aluma-hyde-clean-out-nozzle/

They are currently sold out, but maybe @Baron_Von_Savant can hook you up with a can or share some tips on how to get them flowing again without the clean out nozzle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Six months ago bought a black satin Aluma-hide from Amazon. Appears the pickup tube was clogged after trying a new nozzle. Got money refunded, still got defective can, and ordered a good can directly from Brownells.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never really had good luck with Aluma Hyde. I always bought the cleaning nozzles, followed instructions to the letter, etc. Always got chunks, orange peel, etc.

I've had really good luck with Dura-Coat, and Brownells bake-on Moly from years ago.

I did the receiver of my stainless 77/22 years ago with Dura-Coat, and it still looks great. Nary a chip, not even in the proprietary scope ring dovetails.

Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm very familiar with the clean out nozzles, used them many times in the past, and on this job also.

I'm just one guy with one can. The interesting part to me is how 2 Brownells experts have told completely different stories.  Today I finished the job with KG Gunkote and it came out flawless. I'm glad this happened, it gave me the opportunity to try something new.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Sure wish one could get moly-resin in spray cans.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Sure wish one could get moly-resin in spray cans.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:35:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Baron_Von_Savant] [#15]
Unfortunately there is no telling how old or what storage condition that Amazon's sellers inventory is.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm very familiar with the clean out nozzles, used them many times in the past, and on this job also.

I'm just one guy with one can. The interesting part to me is how 2 Brownells experts have told completely different stories.  Today I finished the job with KG Gunkote and it came out flawless. I'm glad this happened, it gave me the opportunity to try something new.
View Quote

Again, sorry about the conflicting information! For what it's worth, I'm the guy that made the actual Brownells tutorial - https://www.brownells.com/the-trigger-times/how-to/how-to-paint-your-gun/ and this is fairly recent, all the product I used here came straight out of inventory.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Unfortunately there is no telling how old or what storage condition that Amazon's sellers inventory is.
View Quote

Exactly. Brownells directing the buyer to seek relief from the Amazon seller is completely reasonable.

I can tell who here has worked for a retail company here and who likely has not. One employee getting their wires crossed happens.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:10:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I wish AlumaHyde was offered in the Ruger Matte Gray again. I really liked that color. I have used the Parkerized Grey numerous times with good results.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got a can of  Magpul Tan, shook it for 10 minutes and all that came out was epoxy goop! Brownelled?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#20]
huh, I thought it was just me. I bought a can of OD Green off Amazon a couple of years ago- no 'rattle ball'... seller replaced it with another can, and that one had no ball in it either.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Completely unimpressed with this product but it came from Amazon so who knows. If I spray anything else I will use laure weaponory duracoat and stick to off the shelf rattle can for camouflage.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#22]
finally decided to give this a try, bought some about 4 months ago.

spent a ton of time making sure the can was warm and shook the hell out of it for 20 or so minutes.

right off it sent out a white spray of what looked like super gooey crazy string, that then turned magpul tan.

it continued doing this for quite a while.

repeat shaking for a solid 15 more minutes and try again.

again long string of goo, then finally changing over to what I would compare to a dry wall texture gun type spray. nothing but big chunks.

I kept spraying it until I finally got something similar to a spray paint spray, but the chunks would just fly out at random times, this never stopped.

I painted a couple mags and some knights armament rail covers I had laying around just for this test, and all turned out shit.

way too risky to try and use this stuff on anything valuable. its just way too unpredictable.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Does Brownells sell to or Amazon or allow Amazon to distribute? I'm wondering if they're counterfeit
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm going to sandblast and then spray gunkote with my hvlp
View Quote
Bro!

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
Does Brownells sell to or Amazon or allow Amazon to distribute? I'm wondering if they're counterfeit
View Quote

ordered mine right from brownells
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
little update on my story.  today I painted an old harris bipod, using the same can I had so much trouble with a while back.

I did less than half the prep, I sat it in the sun for half hour or maybe 45 minutes, shook it a bit to get the ball inside loose and went to spraying since I really didnt care how the paint turned out.

well, it sprayed perfectly. beautiful coverage and not one single sputter. wtf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top